See anything unusual?

Wyliecoyote

Does anybody see anything unusual in this pic? Men from Infanterie-Regt. 76 (2.Hanseatisches) (Hamburg, VIII Armee Korps), posing out on a strand. This pic was mailed from Hamburg to Kiel 7 Nov. 1914. I have had this for quite some time, and was looking at it recently and I saw something I had never noticed before.

:-k

This is not fair I had a head start! George sent me a scan of this picture a while ago. It is a fantastic picture. I will not spoil anyone's fun and let you have at it. I figured out the what but have not figured out the why! This is a great challenge.

George a close-up of half the picture might help seeing the details.

Hi Brian!

No sir, they are armed with Infantrie Gewehr 88's. Some might consider that unusual, it seems to be a widely held belief that Gew 88's were used strictly by Landsturm & Landwehr troops. Some regular IR's that were not in the "Front" had to turn in their Gew 98's due to shortages of the rifle. Those Regular Regiments in turn used Gew 88's they took from the Landsturm / Landwehr and used them at the Rekreuten Depots. And as shortages of Gew 98's worsened, they took the Gew 88's away from recruit training units and gave them captured weapons such as the Russian M91's. The Gew 88's then made their way to the front lines.

:-k

I promise not to complain about the size restriction on photos. :D

On a related note, Cron has a listing of equipment exchanges for a Regiment on pages 112 through 114 of the English edition. While he does not identify the Regiment it certainly sounds as though he is referring to a Regiment that is an active division. On 9 March 1915 they exchanged their 98 rifle for captured Russian rifles. On 5 June 1915 they were rearmed with the 88/05 rifle. On 1 January 1916 they were equipped with the 98 rifle.

The Gew 88/05's were issued to Landwehr troops that had not been issued the Gew 98. John Walter in his book "The German Rifle" used the Magdeburgisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.66 (Magdeburg, IV Armee Korps), as an example. At the start of the war they had Gew 98's. They turned in their 98's for Gew 88/05's in May 1915, which they carried until November 1915. Then they traded in the G 88/05's for captured Russian M91 Mosin-Nagant rifles, which they carried until late 1916, when they were again issued Gew 98's. I think that Gew 98 production didn't catch up until 1917.

:read2:

John,

I don't think it's a police helmet but I feel a little bit like Bill Clinton -- depends what you mean by police --

The next question is why? And I have no idea!

Hello,

Yes, I think, "douane" in France
Some soldier wore such kelmets in Autumn 1914, non Army regulation helmets, but "Polizei," "Feuerwehr" (with a wood spike) or "Zoll" helmets.
(Larcade, Tome 1, Pge 112).
On the photo, with can see leather helmets, felt helmets, covers or not...
Regards
And I apologize again, to write english so bad.
\:D/

And I apologize again, to write english so bad.
Don't apologize you do real well! I think everyone understands everything you say. If only I read French as well as you speak English! I would love to get a translation of notes four and five from the Lacarde volume 1 pages 112 -- 113. When Bruno translated a section of Lacarde I found I had missed many nuances. My poor language skills.

Your description would fit based on the date of November 1914. These guys are still at home or nearby. While there is no indication that this is a reserve infantry Regiment, it is curious to know that reserve infantry Regiment number 76 was part of the IX Reserve Corps and posted as part of the Army of the North. Therefore it is well within reason that these guys are part of RJR 76 located on the north German coast -- protecting Kiel from a possible British invasion. But pressing a Hamburg Zoll helmet into action -- first picture I've seen!

JR92

Your English is excellant, just my sad attempt at being sly. Was just trying to say that there was more than 1 man. There are 2 men actually that are wearing non military helmets. At first glance I noticed the chin scales only.

Tony

Yes I think Customs, hard to tell about the wappen.

Hello,

For instance, but with a taller spike (Officer).
Best ragrds

\:D/

policejl2.jpg

JR92 that is a nice pic. Where is the wappen from?

All of the men in this photo are armed the same and are wearing the same uniform, the M1907/1910 Feldrock, with the exception ofcoarse of the two wearing their overcoats. The most obvious fellow with the "police" style spike is this one:

Sadly enough the wappen is not clear at all in the picture. Who is he and what helmet is he wearing? Is he a Zoll? Can you pick out the other chap?

The spike is usually a give-away for these guys.

pt83.jpg

joerookery said:
Therefore it is well within reason that these guys are part of RJR 76 located on the north German coast -- protecting Kiel from a possible British invasion. But pressing a Hamburg Zoll helmet into action -- first picture I've seen!

Joe, that would be speculation, which as you know, is 98% of this hobby. :compress: But it could be as mundane as Zoll officers posing for a photo with some soldiers.

Nice clear photo T! I am not really up on these Zoll Beamte types, could you identify him for us? It could very well be as mundane as that, still they are all in the same uniforms, and all armed with the same rifles, and it appears that there are two types of Zoll helmets present. The wappen on the first chap although not clear appears larger compared to this second fellow. Ofcoarse that could just be the way the sunlight reflected off of the wappen. After comparing the blow up of the first guy, I believe I can make out the edges of the wappen, could be the same wappen as your example T.

Back