Seeing Stars.

I had a slightly wierd encounter with a French dealer a while back that left kind of a bitter taste - I wondered if any of you guys have had similar experiences. First, can anyone give me the skinny on Gr. Rgt. 100 officer spikebase stars - gold or silver? I thought I had a R100 on my hands until the aformentioned dealer paid a visit. In a nutshell he rubbished everything I have ......" thats wrong, this is fake, thats wrong 'cos I never saw one before"... [ My 100 has a kind of dull finish on the centre wappen - not frosted looking -which also is incorrect aparently], ....this is a firemans helmet converted.....". My M15 JzP was too common to even merit mention. He pointed out a repro strap which he said he could make look old - but would'nt tell me how. So anyway, the R100 his friend had with him was kosher with its gold stars on the spikebase. I thought was Pioneer but I deffered to his years of experience and so after he finished dissing my eight or so pieces he produced two of the scabbiest mould-ridden pieces of overpriced tat for my delectation. He got the bums-rush outof the flat after all that and I was left stunned and somewhat non-plussed by the blokes crust . Max - I think you may know this charming man! Anyhow, thats my whinge over with - what was the question again?!
Sorry guys,
Mikeymisery.

R100 he had was kosher with its gold stars on the spikebase which I thought was Pioneer
And right you are according to Herman and Didier Lane!

thats my whinge over with
Translation anyone? It's good to have Mikey back.

The frosting on silver fittings is an interesting subject, which deserves its own thread. Did you know that the Eagles on the eagle top helmets were all white from frosting? Apparently it did not survive.

he produced two of the scabbiest mould-ridden pieces of overpriced tat for my delectation.
I would absolutely hate to have to make my living from selling helmets. The supply side would kill you.

Hello Joe, it,s good to be back. Thanks for clarifying that and Yippee! if I do have a GR 100.

Sorry, Whinge means gripe or whine. I do it a lot, especially since I became a homeowner.

I could'nt sell this stuff either - I think it would make me bitter. :wink:

Such an arrogant behavior is alas not unfrequent among French dealers (or should "dealers" be deleted?..). I would be happy to know who this pleasant gentleman is... any hint?
Bruno

Mike

Joe is correct about LG 100 if the stars are silver. Even if they are gilt, there were only two Saxon pioneer battalions (12 and 22) so whatever color the stars are, the helmet is a GREAT find!!! Can you post any pics?

Dave

I dunno really Bruno - I havent sussd the French on litigation yet. He wasj ust a bit of a twat really - I should'nt have let it get to me The Frogs are OK though aren't they.They moan a lot.

Yeah Joe, frostings an interesting point - and whats this 'Phosphor coating deal on M15 stuff.

And what the hell is a 'Poohbar', - Dave? I like that one. Its not from Zappa is it? I'll try to post some shots of the 100 - its got a nice 'Muller' label inside.

spikeymikey said:
// so after he finished dissing my eight or so pieces//

What a jerk. many years ago when I collected that awful Nazeee stuff, I visited a fellow to see his pride and joy, a collection of about 50+ SS cuftitles. All but 3 (?) were fake. I complimented him on his time and effort and was as nice as I could be, only suggesting he buy a few books that he may find useful. These books of course, would give him the bad news, as I was not about to do that after being invited into someone's home. Not a chance.

So my advice, Mike, ignore him. Not worth your time. T

Thanks Tony - I will. I wish I could have set Kaiser on him, Grrrrrr! :twisted:
I wonder what happened with Mr. Cufftitle. Thats sad.

Congrats on the new helme Mike The JR100 also wore a black trichter so the presence of a removable spike might be further proof. Pioneers did not wear trichter so this could also be a "sign". That is not to say though that a pioneer officer would not purchase a helme with removable spike as who would know?
Regarding fire helmet conversions, the telltale sign is the depression caused by the large "comb" in the top and back of the shell. There will also be extra holes in the front of the shell because most fire wappen are smaller than the usual pickelhaube ones. Many original pickelhauben were sold off as surplus after the war and converted to fireman use. Brian

Hey Mikey,
First, what gender is a twat, in our part of the world it is not often used to describe a male.
next, Poohbah or poohbar comes from the Flintstones, a cartoon that used to advertise Winston cigaretts, it refers to the leader of Fred's Lodge.
Lastly Whinge sounds rather rude to one from the new world
Best wihses
Gus

Gustaf said:
Poohbah or poohbar comes from the Flintstones

While this is true, the name, "Pooh-Bah," first appeared in the Gilbert & Sullivan operetta, The Mikado (1885). The essence of the character is most à propos to Mikey's nemesis:

Pooh-Bah said:
I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral decent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule.

Sorry, Gus. I didn't mean to be a twat.

Chas. :wink:

Oh Yeah (one of my best comebacks) but more people watched the Flintstones, I always liked the part where the cat threw Fred out of the house at the end.
Gus

Thanks you chaps - we're getting nicely off subject again.

Brian; The fireman comment was especially wierd cos this shell has only holes for a spikebase and has a shadow of a Bayern plate in front. No extra holes and is private purchase, finely gilded and inscribed ' G. Burger, II Batt. ['Could it be Bayern artillery?It came with spike fitted- the gilding of which matches the trim, spine and lugs. However this type of gilt I havent seen before - it's very shiny and kind of 'thick' . All seems original though and it 'smells' right too. Maybe he has a point somewhere though. I'll post it sometime.]. I know what you mean about the combe dents etc. This came with a sunk crown and I got it to try the 'Gortex' method of gently reforming the top - which works great by the way. It came from Weitze of all people! This guy seemed like he really wanted to show off to his mate with the Pioneer helmet. He's s'posed to be a good dealer so I heard. Maybe a bad day? The 100 has an unscrew spike but it DOES have odd cockades - one the flat style and the state one convex, which he gleefully pointed out [I knew, I knew for chrissakes!]. Bad huh?

Gus; Twat is usually a male idiot. It does mean something else too. Whinge is'nt rude at all - it's a fairly northern term.

Otto; right on!

especially since I became a homeowner.
in the USA we call this the joys of home ownership. Janet was in the attic at 230 in the morning with a flashlight. We had a family of squirrels, move in.
more people watched the Flintstones
Why did Wilma marry Fred?
we're getting nicely off subject again
I never get off-topic Gus does. Where is the moderator when we need him ... looking up obscure operetta's?

a shadow of a Bayern plate in front
Hmmmmm......
G. Burger, II Batt.
Seems like Glenn could confirm or deny the existence of this individual and the 100th grenadier Regiment. How is his name marked? I mean, what fashion? A tag? Is it embossed? We need pictures Mikey pictures! Most of us cannot read anyway, for goodness sakes look at Gus. Me, I can read I just can't spell.
it DOES have odd cockades - one the flat style and the state one convex,
You mean the rosettes that attach through the cockades to the helmet don't you?

It came from Weitze of all people!
With all of these anomalies? Did he say anything about it?

Hey Mikey is in this your helmet? You sent me some pictures long ago.
mikey100gren.jpg
mikeymuller.jpg

For some reason, I have this marked as a Mueller helmet. Can you confirm that? He was a Saxon dealer, and I have no clean example that I can prove is his work.

Why did Wilma marry Fred?
Why did Janet marry Joe? Why did Maggie marry Gus? Obviously God made women weak in the head so men would not have to live alone.
I never get off-topic Gus does. Where is the moderator when we need him ... looking up obscure operetta's?
Yes where is the moderator, I do not get off topic, Mikey asked the question, Joe was the one who brought up the subject of beer!
Hmmmmm......
That is another thread
it's a fairly northern term.
Now what soes that comment mean, that southerners are rude? Where do you draw the line, when I was in Cambridge in the 70s (for a party, not university) I was told that the peoplenorth of Cambridge draw the line at Cambridge, but the people south of that same city that I have no doubt misspelled several times, draw the line at London. So anyway, I am guessing that it is not a good thing to be a southerner? Where is the moderator anyway? Why is there no speell check on this site? How do you cure the hiccups?
Best wishes
Ghsu

Hi Joe n' Gus.

Joe, - I'm talking about TWO diferent helmets here.

The Saxon one is complete and seems untouched. It's the one in the photo. The plate is original to the helmet I believe and it has a beautiful "Muller, Leipzig" label in fine condition inside, I'll post you a close up soon. The rosettes are normal flat scale type in silver. The cockades are slightly different in design compared to each other. The Reichs being quite flat with a small 'lip' curling inwards on the edge, whereas the Landescockade is more convex with no little lip at all. They are officer cockades and [gulp!] Bowman mentions this disparity and says they did'nt usually mix the two styles one the same helmet. They appear untouched but I'm the novice here. Maybe Randy or Tony can shed light on this anomaly. It's a nice piece and I hope it's kosher. I'll try to post some detail shots soon.

The Bayern came from Weitze sans plate and strap with a sunk crown. It's fine now but its hard finding a plate with similar gilding to the rest of it. You can see the shadow of the Bayern plate exactly.Again I'll post pics. The name is handwritten in pen in an old style and is feint.

Gus - just a north of England expression!

Back