shoulder boards

Can anyone show pictures of shoulderstraps from the 84. and 86. infantry regiment?

These were my great grandfathers regiments and I would be very interested in seing some examples...

garder said:
Can anyone show pictures of shoulderstraps from the 84. and 86. infantry regiment? These were my great grandfathers regiments and I would be very interested in seing some examples...

Here you go. Infanterie-Regt. von Manstein (1.Schleswigsches) Nr.84(Schleswig u. Hadersleben) VIII Armee Korps and Füsilier-Regt. Königin (1.Schleswig-Holsteinisches) Nr.86 (Flensburg; III Bn Sonderburg) VIII Armee Korps.

Of interest, FR86 was the only unit that had an embroidered cypher like this.

IR86.jpg

Hey Tony,
Were those hand embroidered with a machine, or did they have some way to do it automaticly at that early time? The workmanship is really good.
Best
gus

I don't know. Chip might. It seems to be an early form of machine embroidery, which is actually awful compared to the superb hand embroidery found on other straps, where the embroiderer goes over a thin cardboard Ünterlag (template) like the Kgl. Sächs. 1. Jäger-Batl.Nr.12 (Freiburg) XII Armee Korps example below for a Einjährig-Freiwilliger.

JB12.jpg

Thanks Tony :)

My great-grandfather served his conscription in regiment 84 in Hadersleben (Haderslev in danish) and was in Reserve Infanteri regiment 86 during the war.

Would the Reserve Infanteri regiment 86 also have the same cipher as the line regiment?

That Füsilier Rgt.Nr.86 cypher and crown were machine sewn. I've never seen an issue one that was done any other way. That includes the M1907 and the M1915 versions.

The M1915s are very common to see, as there was a stash of original unissued ones found some years ago.

The reserve regiments did not normally wear the royal cyphers of the line regiments.

Chip

Would Reserve Infanteri Regiment 86 just have a 86 on there shoulderstraps instead of the cypher?

HI.
My name is Kelley and I currently live in Germany. I have dabbled in WW1 reenacting for a few years, some folks out there know me.
I am trying to scratch together a uniform for the IR 116. I had some prewar shoulderboards made a while back, and now am looking for someone to make some grey ones.
The questions I have are, the Hessens had those odd shaped ones with the corners cut, at least on the prewar shoulderboards. (although I am finding they are shaped like all the rest on some pictures I am seeing online)
I was wondering if the feldgrau ones were also made in this odd shape, or were they pointed like all the others. (again pictures I have seen showed they were normal shaped)
Another question I have, who is making good shoulderboards these days?
IR 116 would be a bear to make, with cypher and all, so I could just go for RIR 116.
Thanks bunches.

Kelley,

There were no issue straps with the corners cut off. I know you occasionally see some like that, but they are private purchase pieces and are the exception, not the norm.

Enlisted feldgrau straps were never made this way.

Some of the reenactment units have nicely made shoulder straps, so your best bet would be to contact them through their websites to see who does their work.

Chip

Back