SOS 2008 is over

Tony & Kaiser said:
Add on the flights ($700+), hotel ($375+), plus meals, cabs, and drinking too FAR much ($450), which makes it the world's most expensive shoulder strap......

But we'll see you again next year right? :D

Kaiser Bill said:
Gus,
" We are in a hotel in Kearney Nebraska," You should have let me know that you were so close... always free room and board and I would have even thrown in a bottle of wine or beer. Keep it in mind for next year. Bill

Hey Bill,
We thought about it, but Maggie had a cold, and I was coming down with something too, so I did not feel that it would be a good thing to bring you and your family such a gift. Besides, I was still hung over from the beer that Joe made me drink the night before (that was one bottle, man I am a light weight)
Best wihses
Gus

Hi All,
We made it home last night at 9:30 our time. We had a pretty good drive from Kentucky, just a little ice in Indiana (it was really n Ilinois, but I can't spell that state) and a road closure in Wyoming (oh yeah, there was the construction in Ogden Utah, in that part of the country, when the move the traffic lanes to accommidate construction, they do not bother to remove the old lines, so there is pretty much a mad house when the traffic hits these spots, as half of the cars follow the old lines and half of the cars follow the new ones).
I found my camera, and will start the slow process of uploading some photos, maybe I will drive up to the neighbor's and borrow a cup of high speed internet later.
I am glad that Tony S. paid so much money for a shoulder board, as that makes my grenade a little less painful, I spent an hour talking the seller down $100, and then when I paid him, I am pretty sure that I had two new bills stick together, so the price he recieved was the original asking price, this was not the only time I did this, I hate new paper money, and next time I print up a batch, I will run them through the washing maching before I spend them. At least the second time I did it, the seller called my attention to it and gave the extra bill back, and then my wife took my money away from me.
It was great to see as many people there as I did, I know I missed some. Meeting Tony S. was great, it was well worth his expense in coming down for the show. Roy A showed us all his baby photo and Keith informed me that Canadians no longer speak Canadian. I saw Chas this year, and Peter S., Tony C., Randy T. Remy S., James L., Joe R., and many others. It is really possible to be at this show and miss seeing each other as it is big, with over 1600 tables, to walk around the outside of the show is about 1/2 mile.
I will try to get a few photos posted later today.
Best wihses
Gus

Gustaf said:
I am glad that Tony S. paid so much money for a shoulder board, as that makes my grenade a little less painful, I spent an hour talking the seller down $100, and then when I paid him, I am pretty sure that I had two new bills stick together, so the price he recieved was the original asking price...

Well, cost of collecting I always say. The show cost me an extra $85 as I only got as far as Philadelphia by plane and had to take a train home from there. Oh well.

But as bad as your story was, you might not have heard what happened with Keith Gill (from the helmet forum). He decided to go to Fort Knox and left a few helmets for sale. He told his friends, "I can come down 10% on this one helmet and $50 on the other one." The wife sold a helmet for 50% of the price! So instead of selling the helmet for $350 (down from $400), she sold it for $200. Keith paid $250 for it a few years ago, and to add insult to injury it was on another table later in the show for $300! :eek:

Peter_Suciu said:
But as bad as your story was, :eek:
Hey Peter,
I did not think my story was bad, about the only bad thing on this thread was your photo of the Gay Hussar, I really did not need to see that again:) At least you did not post a photo of his Nassy uniform he wore the next day. I informed the people at my local post office that I bought 3 hand grenades over the week end, and they were worried that they would have to deliver them, but they were relieved to know that that was three grenades that they would not ever have to handle (unless I take them into the post office to show them)
I can not wait for next year, and saddly, we have to wait an extra week.
Bes twihses
Gus

We just returned from College Station and the show -- I will get pictures and comments up shortly but I think Little Maggie wins the prize for biggest disaster. During the show her sorority house was condemned! A structural problem made worse by flooding. Janet helped Maggie move and the entire sorority is now in a hotel. Just what you needed to make your sophomore year. Don't worry daddy is here I have learned to throw money at any problem!

So Peter... how much were you going to give me for that kidney?

joerookery said:
So Peter... how much were you going to give me for that kidney?

I'm buying a new apartment so I was thinking of selling useless organs too!

And while Gus is going to have to wait an extra week... keep this in mind, hopefully the weather will be better!

Tony I want to see a pic of that $450 shoulder strap! Regarding the next SOS date, I was also thinking that the weather might be better. However, I just realized that that will put the show one week before our March school break. Hmmm how am I going to wangle a 4 day week end when I will be off for 10 days the next week?? If I arrive on Fri, instead of Thurs I know that James L. will have already bought up all of the good helmets! I guess I will have to talk to Gus as he is certain to have some wild excuse for me. Gus, regarding your new money problem......if you Yankees would only add some proper colours to your blahh greenbacks you would have no problem with them sticking together!!! Regards, B. Loree (Currently freezing my buns off up here in the Great White North)

OK, I have managed to up load a couple of photos i the past couple of hours, the first is a shot of Roy A, as he was missed in Roy's post. Slim and his wife are on the left and Joe is to the right.
sos2008119kn2.jpg

Here is a table that Randy, Tony and Remy were manning, Tony was in the shot, but he moved faster than my cammera shutter.
sos2008129fq7.jpg

random shots
sos2008031xd6.jpg

sos2008032uq2.jpg

sos2008034he9.jpg

sos2008036kw8.jpg

Jerry,

I got your rooms for next year. I have your confirmation numbers around here somewhere and will send them to you as I find them. Two rooms.

It was called to my attention that Remy only has one shirt, this is not true according to Remy, he buys his shirts in bulk. Here is a photo of Remy at his birthday party last year.
civilwar074tc7.jpg

and a photo of Remy this year at Lori's birthday party.
civilwar075jx9.jpg

Maybe this is Remy's birthday suit, I promised Remy that I would not pick on him next year if he brought his wife, if he does, we will have to pick on Tony C. but I think Tony may be safe.
Bes twihses
Gus

This is a very different item found at SOS. The Texas delegation did not know exactly what it was. Tony Cowan of Tyler Texas said "that's a funny looking little thing". Canadian collectors said that they had seen something similar to this in the past. Remy took time away from his busy schedule to say these were very common in Europe- I continue to investigate.
scraper.jpg

joerookery said:
Another grouping found that the show -- I think this one is still available
prindi.jpg
Rats, I wanted to be the one to post that one, but I can not upload photos due to slow service, I knew I should have posted that one before Remy's shirts. This collection was found on Jerry Rehr's table:)
Best wihses
Gus

Gustaf said:
...about the only bad thing on this thread was your photo of the Gay Hussar, I really did not need to see that again:)

If he's going to wear the uniform he should at least learn to wear his Kartusche belt over the correct shoulder! :p ....and put that Pelzmütze on straight!!!!! :-x

Peter_Suciu said:
But we'll see you again next year right?

Mmm..honestly, as fun as it was, probably not. I will go again, but not for a few years. We would like to go back to Deutschland next year for a few weeks, and I cannot do both. Perhaps in 2009 or 2010 I'll go to the SOS again.

Hi Gus,
I'm envious...who knows next year...
As usual great photos...
It was Joe on rhe photos with a new moustache...or perhaps Richard Dreyffus?
Otto :D

Hey Otto
Yes that was a moustache on Joe, but I think by now it is gone, he was mistaken for my brother at the show, and even though it was a prize winning moustache, (there was not much competition) he was very eager to get rid of it.
Best wishes
Gus

Back