SOS 2015 B. Loree #2

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
There were 1900+ tables at the show and I took over 100 pics. I know some of these are duplicates of Joe's post but I was using a real camera, where Paul was using his phone so some of mine might be a bit better quality. In addition, I shot other "Imperial" items besides hauben.

I had not seen this gentleman before at an SOS.

/
Nice Filz helme, but the price!!
The JR 115 helme below was nicely marked to BA 18, $2,500. There were no Regt markings. The one I have in my collection, is the same, only AK markings.

Tony Cowan and friends. Tony still has lots of parts and wappen for sale.

A superbe JR 115 Hessen private purchase buckle bought by one of our members. I received a real education on Imperial buckles in our conversation over this one, which was very cool!

The buckle is private purchase, because the crown is removable for cleaning.

We just got in the door from the show, we were caught in Wyoming for a day, took 15 hours to travel 280 miles, part of that was on a freeway that was closed. James whined about traveling through Illinois and Indiana in the snow, but that was not as bad as the conditions in Wyoming. The freeway was closed for most of the day, they had to wait for it to really get slick. It was bumper to bumper trucks on the road, and I had to slow down on the on ramp to match the speed of the traffic on the freeway, but that was because they sanded the on ramp, but did not waste any sand on the road, it was not slicker than the roads in the freezing rain in Missouri last year, but there was 10 times the traffic. With the worst conditions possible, there was only one accident in Wyoming along our travel, actually, it was beyond our turn off, but it backed traffic up so it too 40 minutes to drive the last mile to our exit. Indiana averaged on wreck per 11 miles, much worse than Wyoming's average of one wreck per 401 miles, but better than Missouri's average last year of nearly 300 wrecks in 150 miles.
I will post photos of my show acquisition as soon as I get time, I hope we have a new member soon by the name of Anthony, he was a young mans who said he read the forum regularly, but was not a member. I hope he goes ahead and joins in.
Gus

Glad you made it home safe Gus.

I must say for all the complaining about the weather I think we hit the best week possible. A week earlier it was a mess and this week Louisville is getting his with snow and rain. I don't care for the cold, but I'll take cold over cold and snow/rain.

I need to photograph my goodies too. I'm just settling back into work.

just think 2 weeks earlier next year for the show, could even hit colder weather, you never know

james

J.LeBrasseur said:
just think 2 weeks earlier next year for the show, could even hit colder weather, you never know

I think next year is a week earlier actually, but it is really hard to say in late February. As I noted I think we hit the perfect week this year. Louisville was pounded with snow on Wed., March 4 - a week after we loaded in - and that would have been terrible. They had a foot of snow. A week earlier and it was cold and icy.

I don't think we can worry about it. The show is going to stay in February and some years that will mean cold and snow and others cool and dry. It was in 2012 that was it 70 degrees outside and sunny. I felt bad for being in the show all day. Other times there have been ice storms and worse.

Either way SOS will always be my favorite week of the year! I'm sad it is over and already looking forward to next year.

1900+ tables! How on earth does anyone work out how to look around a show as big as this in any sort of efficient and effective way? Is there some sort of guide which tells you who is where and, broadly, what sort of stuff they sell, or is it a case of working out your own system or just wandering around randomly? Mind-boggling!

Patrick

Patrick- there is a table guide, however, it is big and msot do not carry it. You have to make a mental note or write it down where something is or you are screwed if you try and go back to find it. Each row is labled in both directions so it helps.

But no matter how much time I spend walking the show, I am sure I do nto see it all.

It is a big show

James

you are screwed if you try and go back to find it.

This is so true. One of the many great reasons for putting all of the Imperial guys together. Because if something is found frequently people return to home base to get another set of eyes/opinion. So that requires a trip back and then a trip back into the void. We always worried about James. Never could be sure that we would ever see him again. Now that has as a bionic leg…

chinstrap said:
1900+ tables! How on earth does anyone work out how to look around a show as big as this in any sort of efficient and effective way? Is there some sort of guide which tells you who is where and, broadly, what sort of stuff they sell, or is it a case of working out your own system or just wandering around randomly? Mind-boggling!

Patrick--
I think for a lot of us it is a matter of looking for specific items. In my case as a sun helmet collector first and foremost I'm scanning for tropical headgear with Terminator like precision. I also walk fast. Second pass I expanded to other helmets, uniforms, etc. On the third pass I found a Berthier rifle - dashed to get Gus for his opinion and five minutes later the rifle and a Gewehr 1888 Commission Rifle were under my table! I'm quick that way.

The other thing is I disregard EVERYTHING my grandfather and great uncle taught me all those years ago. They liked to walk a show three times and then decide on purchases. I won't let a must have item pass me by. I hate to blow too much money too soon but if I see something I must have I buy it and keep going. Too many times I went back and the item was gone. I learned it is better to buy it. In some cases I've made money. I bought a rare Japanese waterproof sun helmet a few years back at 10am. I told my wife I really wanted it for my collection but agreed that if it sold I'd live it. It was gone at 12:45pm for a $220 profit! That's why I jump first on really rare items. The worst case I figure is I make a couple of dollars by moving it from one table to another.

The other point to make this year especially is that SOS was 1900+ tables but the gun show was another 2000+ tables. Truth is with the gun show I can typically walk at a brisk pace and I only stop to see what I absolutely needed to see. I actually went to the gun show during set up on Friday and then returned at 6pm while my wife and my father went to the car. We had an hour to kill before dinner and I figured it was worth sweeping the gun show while the dealers set up. I went to check out a set of Moro Armor and helmet - I really wanted just the helmet to go with my armor. The price was stupid high, so the hunt for the helmet goes on. But while walking back to the door I spotted a dummy/non-firing Browning Automatic Rifle. That was really the find of the shows for me. I got a great deal and was offered double what I paid for it.

I returned to the gun show two more times as I had a pass to get in. I didn't find any other deals, but it meant a LOT of walking. I don't know how many miles I likely walked but it was a lot.

J.LeBrasseur said:

james

Too bad they can't do it mid-June... then I could make it! :)

:D Ron

Peter_Suciu said:
The other thing is I disregard EVERYTHING my grandfather and great uncle taught me all those years ago. They liked to walk a show three times and then decide on purchases. I won't let a must have item pass me by. I hate to blow too much money too soon but if I see something I must have I buy it and keep going. Too many times I went back and the item was gone. I learned it is better to buy it. In some cases I've made money. I bought a rare Japanese waterproof sun helmet a few years back at 10am. I told my wife I really wanted it for my collection but agreed that if it sold I'd live it. It was gone at 12:45pm for a $220 profit! That's why I jump first on really rare items. The worst case I figure is I make a couple of dollars by moving it from one table to another.

This is so true! NEVER let a 'must have' item sit on a table while you meander around and trust other (equally voracious) collectors to just pass your treasure by. It's also a good idea to have a list of what you're really looking for, especially if you're like me and your brain tends to drop out of your butt when you see all of that cool stuff!

Peter

Thanks for such a long and informative reply. I've also been caught out by holding off buying something, just in case there was something better further on!

Patrick

Hi all!

Sorry to ask another question, but was there a Zeppelin named tunic at the show?? I believe I saw a photo of it, but was it for sale?? Sorry for the questions but I would love to contact the owner of the tunic.

It basically takes me 2 days to go up and down every row in a methodical manner.

Hi Chris L:
Another collector provided this info on who was selling the Bavarian tunic:
ref ;
your question about the Bavarian Uhlan uniform on the rack
the table was
Arnold Meisner
Campaigns Militaria
402 Lindell Ave
Leominster , Ma. 01453
646 -2864087

Thanks for posting all of the photos Brian!

I like that Hessen JR 115 helmet! I should've bought 'mine' years ago when I saw one for $500. But I didn't have $500 at the time, although I did have enough to buy a nice Pioneer EM helmet.

The JR 115 shown Ron was priced at $2,500. It was complete, totally original and had the correct AK (BA 18) marking on the rear visor. It seems that many of the 115's just have the BA 18 stamping and no JR 115. Mine is like that, this one was and I have handled one other with this characteristic. The JR 115 is a very attractive helmet with that wappen combination.

Back