SOS 2017

OVMS has issued a kindly reminder that beginning this year if you are a table helper you have to be an active member in good standing (in other words with your dues paid up).

Yes, however I have two people who joined last year at show for this purpose who paid then and still do not have their membership? I emailed ovms and they said coming soon, I hope so

James

I paid my dues in October and had my renewal sticker in less than two weeks

joerookery said:
Do the girls still get in as free table helpers?

Spouses (wives or significant partners) as well underage children get in with family - and that includes during set up on Thursday morning.

I'm looking forward to going to the show myself. For boarding I'm doing something different - an AirBnB place in Germantown. I'm renting a car, which I haven't done before for the SoS. This will enable me to see sights in Louisville.

I'm on the wait list for tables. If I get tables, then I'll bring a bunch of pickelhaubes and related headgear for sale. I'm helping my father sell off his 50 year old collection.

See you all soon.

Cheers, Mark D.

Maple Creek said:
I'm looking forward to going to the show myself. For boarding I'm doing something different - an AirBnB place in Germantown. I'm renting a car, which I haven't done before for the SoS. This will enable me to see sights in Louisville.

I'm on the wait list for tables. If I get tables, then I'll bring a bunch of pickelhaubes and related headgear for sale. I'm helping my father sell off his 50 year old collection.

Didn't you have tables with Keith Gill last year?

I can recommend a visit to the Frazier History Museum, which is down town. It has a great collection of small arms, helmets and some armor. It had been a branch of the Royal Armouries - the only branch outside the UK, but sadly that deal expired. It has other temporary exhibits in that space. I heard last year was an exhibit on gangland and gangsters from the 1920s.
http://fraziermuseum.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith and I did share a table last year and that was huge fun. Unfortunately, I was only a table helper, and apparently being a table helper doesn't give you any kind of seniority. Keith didn't apply for a table this year, so it's the end of the cue for me, or wherever the end of the cue was in mid-November when I sent my form to the OVMS. :(

Thanks for the tip about the Frazier History Museum. If I don't get a table, then I'll have some free time on my hands, particularly Wednesday and Thursday morning.

I've got some very great antique and out-of-print militaria reference books that I'll be passing on. My dad used to scour specialty book stores in Europe when on business trips there. I recall you saying that you liked to keep up a good library of this kind of thing, so you should stop by (if I get a danged table that is).

Mark D.

Peter_Suciu said:
Maple Creek said:

Didn't you have tables with Keith Gill last year?

I can recommend a visit to the Frazier History Museum, which is down town. It has a great collection of small arms, helmets and some armor. It had been a branch of the Royal Armouries - the only branch outside the UK, but sadly that deal expired. It has other temporary exhibits in that space. I heard last year was an exhibit on gangland and gangsters from the 1920s.
http://fraziermuseum.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maple Creek said:
Keith and I did share a table last year and that was huge fun. Unfortunately, I was only a table helper, and apparently being a table helper doesn't give you any kind of seniority. Keith didn't apply for a table this year, so it's the end of the cue for me, or wherever the end of the cue was in mid-November when I sent my form to the OVMS. :(

Thanks for the tip about the Frazier History Museum. If I don't get a table, then I'll have some free time on my hands, particularly Wednesday and Thursday morning.

I've got some very great antique and out-of-print militaria reference books that I'll be passing on. My dad used to scour specialty book stores in Europe when on business trips there. I recall you saying that you liked to keep up a good library of this kind of thing, so you should stop by (if I get a danged table that is).

Good luck with the tables. If you don't get one this year I suggest you line up on Friday/Saturday when you can start to get in the queue. That does help a lot! I'd love to check out the books for sure.

I just got the news that I'll have two tables at the SOS! I'll have some pickelhaubes to peruse, so please stop by. I don't know my table location yet.

Best Regards,

Mark D.

Good for you Mark. That is one complaint I have about the SOS, they do not let us know our table numbers until you pick up your packet at the show.

Any hints on what helmets you will be bringing, of course the ones with Spikes on top :D

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
That is one complaint I have about the SOS, they do not let us know our table numbers until you pick up your packet at the show.

I always found that odd. I know where my tables are for the Baltimore Antique Arms Show and I've never been to the Tulsa Gun Show before but I already know where those tables will be for the show in April! :-k

Two weeks out. Right now the forecast is rain but temperatures in the 50s in Louisville. That is still better than snow and temperatures in the 20s!

I just found out that I will be TDY to the area and I will get to go to my first SOS. After years of being in Europe and now in Hawai'i I am pretty excited. Hopefully I can get a chance to meet some of the great members of our community!

mauihiu said:
I just found out that I will be TDY to the area and I will get to go to my first SOS. After years of being in Europe and now in Hawai'i I am pretty excited. Hopefully I can get a chance to meet some of the great members of our community!
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Well it is official, we are not going to make it to the show this year, we are dealing with flooding and other problems (although my hangnail is healed up) and can not get away from the farm. We did make it to town today, the roads are closed and required a 4 wheel drive to get out. Cold weather has slowed the run off, but we have rain forecast for later in the week and we will be dealing with the same problems we have had for the past week. We are lucky as our house is on high ground but a lot of our neighbors are not so lucky. We will miss the gathering greatly but I have already sent my table money in for next year.

I forgot to mention that our book is in second printing and we will have them here in a few days if the UPS driver can get north of town.

I'm so sorry you can't make it Gus! It won't be the same without you. Honestly, I didn't know Idaho was dealing with flooding. The national news only talks about California! :x

Best of luck with everything. We will see you next year!

Peter_Suciu said:
I didn't know Idaho was dealing with flooding. The national news only talks about California! :x

Right now a third of Idaho counties are under disaster declarations, you should hear of flooding in Idaho in a month or so, when the predominantly democratic county suffers flooding due to heavy run off from above normal snow pack. It seems that the only people who are important in this country are the ones who vote the "right" way. One reason we do not get the coverage is because in the red communities we all work together and get things done, in the blue communities, people seem to wait for the government to do it for them. Our biggest problem is our local government is busy putting up "road closed" signs to get in our way.

Back