SOS 2019 Update

Peter_Suciu

I don't want to spread any rumors, misinformation or say anything I shouldn't. However, the future of SOS in Louisville is unclear at this moment. I'm rather upset as I have non-refundable hotel rooms.

At last week's OVMS Show in Wilmington, Ohio Bill Combs (business manager for OVMS) said there will be an SOS. We'll have to wait and see whether that will be in Louisville or elsewhere. We'll know more after Kentucky Venues, which runs the Kentucky Expo Center, holds their emergency meeting and then after they meet with OVMS. Let's hope for the best.

My feeling - and mine alone - is that even if SOS 2019 is in Louisville OVMS is going to be looking for a new home!

I sure hope they do not have to move .But I fear what might happen . Please keep us
informed to any latest news .The show dates are that far away now .
A couple of years ago I paid to become a life member , not so much a wise move at my
age , but it was something that I wanted to do . Louisville is a reasonable drive for me
but if it ends up a lot more distance , I am not sure that I can handle it
Steve McFarland

it will be interesting, I like you Peter have money invested that I cannot get back such as Non refundable/ Non changeable flights for my Wife and son etc.

Will be an interesting week or so after their emergency meeting, I saw one of the board members of the Kentucky Expo center on CNN say he will make sure no Nazi stuff ever gets in the building again....

Hoping for the best

James

I have never been to SOS, but I always enjoy seeing the write-ups and the photos you guys share.
What happened?
I can't see the bottom line problem from the posts above. What is causing the issue?

John :(

in a Nutshell people protesting Third Reich items etc. There was a big Gun Show at the venue a week or so ago, and some dealers had some Nazi stuff and KKK on their tables, and somebody posted pictures on social media and it went from there.. Now famous athletes etc. protesting

check out this link

https://wfpl.org/after-racist-merchandise-sold-at-expo-center-fair-board-chair-seeks-stricter-rules/

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
in a Nutshell people protesting Third Reich items etc. There was a big Gun Show at the venue a week or so ago, and some dealers had some Nazi stuff and KKK on their tables, and somebody posted pictures on social media and it went from there.. Now famous athletes etc. protesting

It was a reporter from a local outlet who went to the show following the tragic shooting of an African-American couple by a racist nutjob. The reporter went to the gun show and spotted the KKK and Nazi items. Unfortunately the dealer didn't handle it well, and Ron Dixon - the show promoter - further dropped the ball.

Now the media has really picked up on it, and the future of any show where Nazi items is in doubt. That is it in a nutshell.

Seems like there have been similar problems at the last Ciney show, over here ...can't remember where I read it....

Oh no, I have non refundable flights, non refundable Hotel and car rentals. Let's pray together for the best. I bet the change will affect a lot of people esp we are just 3-4 months away.

Regards
Amy Bellars

Does anyone know what the economic impact of SOS is for Louisville? Ultimately money will make the decision for them.

Damn, I hope this doesn’t go sour. Surely, they can’t break the contract they have with OVMS on such short notice. What about the international dealers who will have also made plans, flights and bookings?

badener said:
Does anyone know what the economic impact of SOS is for Louisville? Ultimately money will make the decision for them.

The economic impact of SOS for Louisville is minimal at best. The show maybe draws 3,000 people, which pales to most other shows. The hotels around the Kentucky Expo Center do sell out some years but that is because of the former car show, Ron Dickson's National Gun Day Show, the Home Show and other events.

I have been to a lot of trade shows, conferences, press junkets, sci-fi conventions, sporting events and other events that draw in huge crowds. I'm not saying OVMS and SOS have no impact, but chances are most bars, restaurants and hotels barely notice when SOS comes to town. When the Helicopter Trade Show was in Louisville that attracted 30,000 attendees plus the crews to set up the displays, bring in the equipment, drive the buses, handle the presentations. That was probably another 4,000+ people. That is something a city will notice.

But you are right, sadly money will make the difference because there is always the danger that some other show will back out or at least threaten to do so. I'm sorry this is so doomy and gloomy but that's a fact. The Nazi stuff is a HUGE deal and one that dealers have had their heads buried in the sand for WAY, WAY too long.

A big Salute to Jeff S., Bill Combs, and the rest of the Fantastic OVMS Board of Directors for their incredible work on saving the show as scheduled at the KY Expo Center. I saw the official posting by Jeff & Bill and the OVMS on another forum last evening. :bravo: =D> :salute:

I hope that I won't be stepping on their toes by copying and posting below what they posted yesterday, as I know some of our members here are eager to find out the news:

Quote from Bill Combs, posted by Jeff S. yesterday:

"OFFICIAL UPDATE:
SOS 2019 WILL be held in Louisville as scheduled.

The Kentucky Fair Board met today at 12:30 and by unanimous vote adopted a "Resolution Related to the Sale of Certain Items Representing Racist Ideology" with "Certain Exceptions."

Specifically to the swastika emblem in use by the Third Reich, they have banned items reproduced after WWII. OVMS has updated our Show Rules Regarding Culturally Offensive Material to specifically prohibit modern replica items (among other changes). These rules will be strictly enforced at all OVMS shows.

As much fun as it is to collect, study, and learn from historic artifacts, situations like this underscore the fact that in the absence of abundent context, collecting WWII memorabilia in particular can be frankly shocking to people unfamiliar with the hobby. This is simply a fact of the world that we live in, and not a debate to be won or lost.

The decision of the Kentucky Fair Board to allow properly contextualized, responsible display and sale of original historic artifacts is quite frankly very courageous, considering all of the incredible pressure that was brought to bear upon them. We owe them a tremendous debt of thanks, loyalty, and more importantly - our wholehearted cooperation and assistance.

OVMS cannot do this alone. At the shows, in online forums, and in the world at large, the way we act and the words we say will either help the hobby or doom it. As an exhibitor, member, or guest, we are counting on YOU to be part of the solution, and not part of the problem. We need to be ambassadors for the responsible collecting of all items, all time periods. By our actions as collectors, we have the opportunity to demonstrate to those unfamiliar with our hobby that collecting truly is a historical pursuit and not a political activity. The past may be in your collection room.. but the future of this hobby is in your hands. We are counting on you to act accordingly.

Bill Combs"

Well done
Thank you Alan for the good news to all of us who love and attend the S O S
Many more thanks to Bill Combs and Jeff and all the OVMS folks .
See you there at the S O S 2019
Steve McFarland
Life Member OVMS S O S

Two more months and I will be at Los Angeles universal studio and Las Vegas before the show. My husband reckons that I will spend most of my money before the show. Well I will be good. Hopefully I can find things to buy.
Regards
Amy Bellars

A positive story on Show Of Shows in the Milwaukee hometown newspaper:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/travel/wisconsin/weekend-getaway/2019/02/01/show-shows-sells-everything-japanese-swords-helmets-worn-recent-deployments/2712144002/

Back