Straightening of objects

That is unbelievable. 👍

I'd say that helmet had a near death experience but it was dead and buried. To even look at it and think of bringing it back is incredible but to do it just blows my mind. Just incredible.

Congratulations Wotjek, on this superb result. (y) 👋

I usually buy Pickelhaube in good condition, but sometimes I 'save' some myself. This was the case with this Bavarian Leib-Infanterie that I acquired a few years ago in Ciney. It was so damaged and oxidised that it was still on sale at midday. I didn't re-lacquer it, just put it back in shape and cleaned it. I simply moistened the leather with 40° lukewarm water, then placed the shell on a hat stand and left it to dry for 48 hours at room temperature.

Note:
This is an old schell M1886 (cross base, large front plate, square visor, etc.).
In peacetime, recycling old 86s into dashing 96s, the holes in the old linings were carefully plugged with leather plugs, with a patch of fine basane inside, then the helmet was re-lacquered.
But here we have an ersatz mobilisation. The holes are simply plugged with very light rivets. I have only seen this method used on Bavarian helmets.
Bay 1IR Ciney Bibi_.JPG

Bay 1IR  Bibi 350€   Ciney 17.JPGBay 1IR Bibi 350€ Ciney17 à l'achat.JPGBay 1IR Bibi 350€ Ciney17.JPGBay1 IR Bibi 350€ Ciney AVANT.JPG

Bay1IR Bibi  350€  Ciney 17 APRES.JPGBay1IR Bibi Ciney17 APRES.JPGBay1IR Bibi 350€   Ciney17 APRES.JPGBay1 IR Bibi 350€   Ciney APRES.JPG

Last edited:
Well done Clovis! Such repairs are not extremely difficult, provided that the previous owner did not grease the inside of the helmet with some grease. In this case, you need to use several methods of softening the leather.Best regards.

Hi Clovis,
Quite the transformation, well done!
Did you move the rivet from the old grommet hole to the top of the helmet?
Regards,
Lars

Wow Looking good, I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread, I am very interested to see the finished result of this. I am sure that it will look quite fantastic. Good Job so Far.

Excellent results! This is probably the most difficult type of restoration to attempt. 👍👍

Back