The Grandfather of Dragoner: M1856 in Neusilber

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Best Pickelhaube of 2015 hands-down was this amazing issued Model 1856 Dragoner Pickelhaube in perfect untouched original condition. It is the only one I have ever seen in 35 years of collecting. Early issued Dragoner helmets just do not seem to be out there, so this was a very fortunate find. And here in Kanada no less! This is just an brilliant early issued helmet.

More photos and the standard write-up click HERE.

dbh92b.jpg

I placed it beside a M1895 Neusilber Wappen and you can see how the M1824 seems so much more simplistic, and of course no Bandeau.

M1856_Dragoner_4.jpg

Come on Tony!!! You are killing me!!! Pardon the movie pun but that is one Bad-ass Grandpa!!!

John

Fantastic helmet T and so rare! Congratulations, you have done very well in 2015. :thumb up:

Great find Tony ! Love these old "heavies" !!

Would love a "heavy" FAR Kugelhaube some day... 8)

Francis

Congrats Tony, that's an incredibly rare and beautiful condition helmet! What a great score for you! =D> :bravo:

I can imagine that finding one of these old timer in such excellent condition is probably a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity".

Best Regards,

Alan

I was thinking about the nail holes in the front visor. If it was in a museum, it was probably 'out in the open' and somebody without too much imagination (or conservation skill) thought that was the way to do it. I mean, really, don't secure it with a wire through that nice wide loop between the bottom of the spine and the neck guard!
I have at least one helmet with holes in the neck guard to hang it from. I guess that was they way they treated these 'junker' helmets back in the post-WWI days.

:D Ron

Yep. At Canadian Forces Base Borden there is quite a nice little museum. In one room is a ultra-rare Canadian Oilver pattern leather equipment yoke. One of perhaps three known. Nailed to a board on the wall..

poniatowski said:
I was thinking about the nail holes in the front visor. If it was in a museum, it was probably 'out in the open' and somebody without too much imagination (or conservation skill) thought that was the way to do it. I mean, really, don't secure it with a wire through that nice wide loop between the bottom of the spine and the neck guard!
I have at least one helmet with holes in the neck guard to hang it from. I guess that was they way they treated these 'junker' helmets back in the post-WWI days.

I have a saxon helmet on which the front visor rim is fastened with three rivets, just like on Tony's helmet. Obviously not a recent fix.

Back