The history of the pickelhaube in the Royal Saxon army from 1867 -1918

Sandmann

Dear friends,
I‘m glad to present you my latest Blog entry on my website Historien-Kabinett.de in English and German. This time I have focussed myself to the development of the pickelhauben in the Royal Saxon Army, and tried to track the changes in helmet dimensions using original documents as far as possible.
Unlike for the Kingdom of Prussia or the Kingdom of Bavaria, I unfortunately didn‘t have access to the Saxon military regulation sheets, which is why I was only able to understand the changes using various clothing regulations. For a long time I have tried to get access to a clothing regulation for enlisted men from 1897 to 1918, but unfortunately without success. Sometimes a book was listed in the register of a library, but then I've been told it was destroyed in the war or they don't have access to it at this time because the library is closed due to construction work until the end of 2023. Therefore, I assumed some missing values based on my experience through my pickelhauben measurement project. Thus, I cannot offer the exact date when the changes were introduced, but I can still provide a good overview of how the helmet changed between 1867 and 1915.

The history of the pickelhaube in the Royal Saxon Army from 1867 - 1918

I hope you like the guide and I look forward to your comments. As usual, I also provide the entry as a PDF in the Download Area for free. Links to most of the clothing regulations can be found on my Blog in the 8/29/22 entry "Helpful books for Pickelhaube collectors".
If anyone has access to a Saxon “Bekleidungsordnung 2. Teil“ for enlisted men from the period 1897 to 1915, I would be very happy if you contact me.
Enjoy :)

Yet another incredibly useful piece of work Sandy - your site is a treasure. Thank you for doing this.

A brilliant and highly useful read, like all the others you have contributed Sandy, Many thanks to you.

Dear friends,
I finally got a Saxon clothing regulation for enlisted men from 1904 and updated the article The history of the pickelhaube in the Royal Saxon Army from 1867 - 1918 on my website and also the downloadable pdf of this article and the result of my helmet measurement project pickelhauben measurements - summary table (Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria).
It was very interesting that the saxon helmet star became larger in 1895 and the cockade was still only 4,7 cm in diameter. Further I was very surprised to read the following entry about the cockades:
563F9F58-6BAC-4140-B62B-FBB7113710DF.jpeg
We always thought the „V“-shaped notch was only for issue cockades, but now it‘s clear that it was the prescribed design for Saxon cockades for M95 enlisted men helmets, at least since 1904.

Last edited:
Dear friends,
I‘m glad to present you my latest Blog entry on my website Historien-Kabinett.de in English and German. This time I have focussed myself to the development of the pickelhauben in the Royal Saxon Army, and tried to track the changes in helmet dimensions using original documents as far as possible.
Unlike for the Kingdom of Prussia or the Kingdom of Bavaria, I unfortunately didn‘t have access to the Saxon military regulation sheets, which is why I was only able to understand the changes using various clothing regulations. For a long time I have tried to get access to a clothing regulation for enlisted men from 1897 to 1918, but unfortunately without success. Sometimes a book was listed in the register of a library, but then I've been told it was destroyed in the war or they don't have access to it at this time because the library is closed due to construction work until the end of 2023. Therefore, I assumed some missing values based on my experience through my pickelhauben measurement project. Thus, I cannot offer the exact date when the changes were introduced, but I can still provide a good overview of how the helmet changed between 1867 and 1915.

The history of the pickelhaube in the Royal Saxon Army from 1867 - 1918

I hope you like the guide and I look forward to your comments. As usual, I also provide the entry as a PDF in the Download Area for free. Links to most of the clothing regulations can be found on my Blog in the 8/29/22 entry "Helpful books for Pickelhaube collectors".
If anyone has access to a Saxon “Bekleidungsordnung 2. Teil“ for enlisted men from the period 1897 to 1915, I would be very happy if you contact me.
Enjoy :)
Dear Sandmann, I just visited your website and read the topic on pickel covers, wonderful!!! Great initiative

Back