The King’s Prize (Konigsschiessabzeichen)

Steve Nick

In 1895 the German Army began the practice of awarding a prize for marksmanship in the Infantry, Jägers and the Artillery. The award was extended to include the Machine Gun units in 1903. Each of the four Kingdoms within the Reich made these awards.

The Kingdoms of Bavaria, Saxony and Wurttemberg awarded Kings Prizes to the qualifying units under their control utilizing the crowns of the respective Kingdoms. These awards bear the distinctive Kings crown associated with each respective kingdom.

The prizes were fashioned from brass with a gilt finish and were mounted on an oval cloth backing in the colour of the service branch. Infantry awards are found with respective units backing until the introduction of the pattern 1910 Field Grey uniform. Jäger units are found with a dark “rifle green” backing until 1910 when they also adopted Field grey.

Machine gun units only competed in the odd numbered years. Therefore, award years should be as follows: 1903,1905,1907,1909,1911,1913.

Kings crown Prizes show different dies were used.

Due to the fact that the shooting competitions for the Army were held in the late summer, 1913 was the last year in which they were awarded.

The Kings Prize for Machine Gun companies is from the Kingdom of Saxony and is courtesy of Steve McFarland.

Attachments

• kingsprize Re-sized.jpg
    kingsprize Re-sized.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 579
  • Saxon M G Prize  Re-Sized.jpg
    Saxon M G Prize Re-Sized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 579
  • Kings Artillery Obverse Re-Sized.jpg
    Kings Artillery Obverse Re-Sized.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 578
  • Kings Artillery Reverse Re-Sized.jpg
    Kings Artillery Reverse Re-Sized.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 577
  • Kings Prize 1913 Re-Sized.jpg
    Kings Prize 1913 Re-Sized.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 579
I just received this King's Prize award document yesterday. Very happy to add this to my modest collection.

Kings' Prizes only being awarded by the Kingdoms of Bavaria, Saxony and Wurttemburg are harder to find than Kaiser Prizes as Prussia and her subordinate states comprised about 70% of the Army. Early King's Prizes are even harder to find so this award document I had to have. Award documents are considerably harder to find than the Prizes themselves for obvious reasons being paper. Kings' award documents are rarer than Kaiser's documents.

Now to have it nicely framed in a period style non acid material and UV protected glass.

Attachments

• Kings Prize Document 1897.jpg
    Kings Prize Document 1897.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 20
In 1895 the German Army began the practice of awarding a prize for marksmanship in the Infantry, Jägers and the Artillery. The award was extended to include the Machine Gun units in 1903. Each of the four Kingdoms within the Reich made these awards.

The Kingdoms of Bavaria, Saxony and Wurttemberg awarded Kings Prizes to the qualifying units under their control utilizing the crowns of the respective Kingdoms. These awards bear the distinctive Kings crown associated with each respective kingdom.

The prizes were fashioned from brass with a gilt finish and were mounted on an oval cloth backing in the colour of the service branch. Infantry awards are found with respective units backing until the introduction of the pattern 1910 Field Grey uniform. Jäger units are found with a dark “rifle green” backing until 1910 when they also adopted Field grey.

Machine gun units only competed in the odd numbered years. Therefore, award years should be as follows: 1903,1905,1907,1909,1911,1913.

Kings crown Prizes show different dies were used.

Due to the fact that the shooting competitions for the Army were held in the late summer, 1913 was the last year in which they were awarded.

The Kings Prize for Machine Gun companies is from the Kingdom of Saxony and is courtesy of Steve McFarland.
Steve ;
You wrote ;

I did not know this
Many thanks for that information
Steve

Steve ;
You wrote ;

I did not know this
Many thanks for that information
Steve
Hi Steve's,
yes that is correct - only every two years for the MG units.
Best regards, Jens

ArmeeVerodnungsBlatt:
"… das die Verleihung nur alle zwei Jahre erfolgt und dass das Abzeichen von der betreffenden Abteilung nur ein Jahr zu tragen ist. …"
"... that the award is only every two years and that the badge is to be worn by the MG-unit for only one year. ..."

... Award documents are considerably harder to find than the Prizes themselves for obvious reasons being paper. Kings' award documents are rarer than Kaiser's documents. ...
Steve,
in my opinion, most of the documents (with name, ...) I know - are from the Bavarian Königsabzeichen.
I have seen only one Prussian document (with name, ...)for the Kaiserpreis (1895: 2. Komp., Inf.-Rgt. Nr.32).
(and some artillery Kaiserabzeichen for the German Navy)
;) Best regards, Jens

Attachments

• KaiserPreisMG.jpg
    KaiserPreisMG.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A couple of original CDV's I picked up recently of King's Prize winners.

The first is a member of the 2nd Bavarian Infantry Regiment "Kronprinz" wearing his 1907 Kings Prize.

Second a Sr. NCO of the 12th Saxon Infantry with his 1906 prize.

Attachments

• Kings-2nd Infantryl 004f6.jpg
    Kings-2nd Infantryl 004f6.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Saxon Kings-l1600n09.jpg
    Saxon Kings-l1600n09.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 14
Great photo! I saw it as well, and think it sold for 127€.
Thanks for the results
I did NOT know what it sold for
There must have been 2 or 3 interested collectors
It would display well with a King's Prize collection
Steve

I thought I'd share a photo of the 1897 King's Infantry Award document which I got back from the framer a couple of weeks ago.

I had a difficult time convincing her that the matting needed to show some Bavarian Blue and white. From an artistic viewpoint she was having a hard time seeing it.

When I picked it up she agreed that it turned out to be a good choice. I think she did a fantastic job. All done in archival quality materials. It cost as much to frame it as the award itself but I think it deserves the best and it looks great on the wall. (A little bit of flash glare, but it's the best I can do indoors) DSC_1592 Re-Sized.jpg

I just received this King's Prize award document yesterday. Very happy to add this to my modest collection.

Kings' Prizes only being awarded by the Kingdoms of Bavaria, Saxony and Wurttemburg are harder to find than Kaiser Prizes as Prussia and her subordinate states comprised about 70% of the Army. Early King's Prizes are even harder to find so this award document I had to have. Award documents are considerably harder to find than the Prizes themselves for obvious reasons being paper. Kings' award documents are rarer than Kaiser's documents.

Now to have it nicely framed in a period style non acid material and UV protected glass.
Steve
I saw a photo of a Baden soldier on another site . He appears to be wearing a King's prize ?
What do you think ?
Steve McFarland

Steve
I saw a photo of a Baden soldier on another site . He appears to be wearing a King's prize ?
What do you think ?
Steve McFarland
Steve:

Baden units were subordinate to the Kingdom of Prussia so they would compete for The Kaiser's Prize as far as I know. The crown on the marksman's lanyard does look like a King's crown though.

Steve:

Baden units were subordinate to the Kingdom of Prussia so they would compete for The Kaiser's Prize as far as I know. The crown on the marksman's lanyard does look like a King's crown though.
I am pretty sure that it is not a Kaiser crown
Steve

Back