THE MATHEW PROJECT!

Thanks to all....I do what I can. Mathew has certainly presented me with a challenge here.

The saga of the Mathew Project continues! :) I whined a bit when I started this but I must admit, that I have learned some things and I am a sucker for a challenge! This is the second (#7) last of the 8 filz helmets Mathew sent to have original replacement liners stitched in, the other six have been finished. One thing I have learned, is that these filz helme liners were stitched in using 2 methods....the tack stitch and the regular stitch which was also used on our leather pickelhauben. The regular stitch on these takes a lot of time and Mathew has agreed that I can do tack stitching on this Wurtt. helmet. The piece does have a major problem:
IMG_4085.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg
The felt has split along both the front and. the rear visor stitch line. :(
IMG_4082.jpeg
Mathew has "super glued" the pieces together. The front visor stitch line has also split in one area.
IMG_4083.jpeg
Notice as well, the rust marks of uberzug hooks....this hat was worn with a cover!:oops: More photos to come as I install a liner into this shell.

The Mathew Project Finished: I stitched up #8 filz helme yesterday completing this project. Some photos:
IMG_4108.jpeg
Filz stack plus me in my CN Crocs! These were a gift from James.
IMG_4110.jpeg
When I first got into these, I thought what the hell have I done?? However, after a couple of helmets, I clued into how to do it and things got easier. :) My thanks to Mathew for putting up with my whining!
IMG_4109.jpeg
Eight original liners installed.
IMG_4111.jpeg
Smiling now that the project worked out well! :D

Last edited:
The Mathew Project Finished: I stitched up #8 filz helme yesterday completing this project. Some photos:
View attachment 33209
Filz stack plus me in my CN Crocs! These were a gift from James.
View attachment 33210
When I first got into these, I thought what the hell have I done?? However, after a couple of helmets, I clued into how to do it and things got easier. :) My thanks to Mathew for putting up with my whining!
View attachment 33211
Eight original liners installed.
View attachment 33212
Smiling now that the project worked out well! :D
Where did all the liners come from ?
Steve

Yes that is correct Steve, Mathew sent me 8 helmets with an original replacement liner for each. There was one liner which was too short in circumference, so I had to add (stitch) on an extra piece. However, I have seen this before in ersatz style helmet liners.

If I am not mistaken all the liners came from France .
I noticed in the stack of 8 shells , no 2 colors are alike .

That is some achievement Brian, you must have enjoyed leaning back and contemplating that completed stack!

Back