The Old Way To Add To Your Collection

Another list # 6 with prices that helmets sold for at that time
I bought G-8 the enlisted Grenadier Regt 12 for $ 85.00
I still have the helmet today
back then I was able to find and add to the helmet
a correct pair of flat hook-on scale chin straps
good luck today looking for a pair !
SteveList 6 for H 2.jpgList 6 for H 2 a.jpgG R 12 X 2.JPGG R 12 1913 inside .jpg

I started with Kube with Auction 32/33 September 11, 1982 but I do have his catalogs Number 1,10 and 18 through 30/31 . He sold back issues at one time. The catalogs do make one long for the quantity and quality of his merchandise to say nothing about the prices! Other than late catalogs I have never had any problem with buying from Herr Kube.

I was with Kube since the start
I knew of him via a collector friend in
Stockholm , Sweden ; Jarl Hartze
Jarl had a music store and sold instruments
He had a full time employee who took care of his helmets
Jarl when all over Germany and made friends with other
collectors and bought a lot of helmets .
At one time Jarl had 13 G d C helmets with eagle tops
There was an old time collector in Germany who
collected only Kurassiere helmets
When he passed away his widow invited Jarl
to visit and select 1 helmet of his choice to remember her husband by .
The rest of the collection when to Kube for sale
and that was the start of his first offering
Kube had a shop in Munchen
I still have 35mm color slides of the Kurassiere collection
that Jarl took and made me a duplicate set
Steve
The old collector must have been Georg Petschke!
He had a famous cuirassier Collection, which, as is well known, wasthen sold by Kube.
As an Appendix the obituary from 1971 in the „Zeitschrift für Heereskunde“.
In 1958, 59 and 1960 Petschke had published studies on the Prussian cuirassier helmets!
Frank

Attachments

• EBB750D4-1D60-42C6-B5E0-5CFD1670F5FC.jpeg
    EBB750D4-1D60-42C6-B5E0-5CFD1670F5FC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
He had a famous cuirassier Collection, which, as is well known, wasthen sold by Kube.
In 1958, 59 and 1960 Petschke had published studies on the Prussian cuirassier helmets!
Frank
Correct
His name was on my mind
but I could not spell it correctly
I think that Hartze would also visit W. Schmidt
who had a large collection
Steve

Correct
His name was on my mind
but I could not spell it correctly
I think that Hartze would also visit W. Schmidt
who had a large collection
Steve
I think that some people have a scanner that will do
35mm color slides
I wish that I had one that could do slides
I have a lot of 35mm slides that Jarl made extra sets
for me of the collectors that he visited in the 60's & 70's
Petschke being one of them
Steve

I think that some people have a scanner that will do
35mm color slides
I wish that I had one that could do slides
I have a lot of 35mm slides that Jarl made extra sets
for me of the collectors that he visited in the 60's & 70's
Petschke being one of them
Steve
Steve,
these recordings would be really interesting and exiting, also for comparison with other real pieces!
Frank

Frank
On another thread I wrote that I found out that my 1 L K R 1 officers
saddle blanket and pistol flaps set came from the Petschke collection
Steve

Jan of 1973
A member of our site had asked me
what I thought the value of a Garde Pioneer officers helmet
might be on todays market.
My reply was that I was not able to answer the question ,
because I bought mine so long ago
that I had not kept up with today's price
I got out the old list from where I bought it
1973 and I paid $ 350.00 for it
I still have it today in my collection
SteveView attachment 34192

$350 was a LOT of Money back in 1973! (Not compared to what the helmet is worth today in 2023, but compared to what the average person took home in wages per week back in 1973).

Considering the average person was making maybe $4.00 per hour wages or less per hour working wages back in 1973. I have seen different wage figures for that time period. Some lower, some higher price wage per hour for that time period of 1973. So considering this, the helmet probably would have cost the average person over 2-Full Weeks of Pay wages back in 1973.

Regardless of this, it is a very beautiful helmet Steve in superb condition, and I congratulate you for buying this helmet and others for your collection back in those days! (y)

Best Wishes,

Alan

Steve, you may well have lived through the prime militaria collecting era.
Charles
I think that you might be right
Steve
$350 was a LOT of Money back in 1973! (Not compared to what the helmet is worth today in 2023, but compared to what the average person took home in wages per week back in 1973).

Considering the average person was making maybe $4.00 per hour wages or less per hour working wages back in 1973. I have seen different wage figures for that time period. Some lower, some higher price wage per hour for that time period of 1973. So considering this, the helmet probably would have cost the average person over 2-Full Weeks of Pay wages back in 1973.

Regardless of this, it is a very beautiful helmet Steve in superb condition, and I congratulate you for buying this helmet and others for your collection back in those days! (y)

Best Wishes,

Alan
Thanks
I always liked helmets more than money
My thoughts were / are that money is only what
it can buy for you ( me )
I have a very good wife who has been with me all the way .
Steve

Charles
I think that you might be right
Steve

Thanks
I always liked helmets more than money
My thoughts were / are that money is only what
it can buy for you ( me )
I have a very good wife who has been with me all the way .
Steve
P S
my first job back in 1959 paid me $200.00 per month
BEFORE with-holding
and I had fun !
Steve

Steve, I wasn't even born in 1959, I'm just a youngster born in 1965. But you lived the good life, all be it, I can imagine life could also be difficult then. You managed to amass a great collection over all those years my friend!

Best regards, and greetings from the Netherlands,

Coert.

Steve, I wasn't even born in 1959, I'm just a youngster born in 1965. But you lived the good life, all be it, I can imagine life could also be difficult then. You managed to amass a great collection over all those years my friend!

Best regards, and greetings from the Netherlands,

Coert.
Coert
1959 to 1964 I had fun , fun
Married in 1964
and then collected 3rd Reich
sold out and started to collect Imperial German circa 1970
I can not say life was difficult
it was simpler times
great growing up in those days
no drugs
just a little Jack Daniels once in a while
Best wishes
Steve

Not to be a "wet blanket" but in relation to the prices back in 1968 being so low relative to today, I'm reminded of an Accounting Principle which my wife "the Accountant" has reminded me of more than once during our 41 years of marriage. I believe it's referred to as "the rule of 72" , which states that money invested at 7% compound interest will double every ten years.

If we look at Steve's $42 Prussian helmet offered in 1968 and we apply the "rule of 72" that helmet (or the $42 invested at 7% over the course of 55 years would be worth just over $1,400. I'm pretty sure I can buy a comparable helmet today for less than $1,400 (even using Canadian dollars):D

So, from a purely clinical perspective I would have been better to put my money in the bank, but I wouldn't have had anywhere near as much fun!

Not to be a "wet blanket" but in relation to the prices back in 1968 being so low relative to today, I'm reminded of an Accounting Principle which my wife "the Accountant" has reminded me of more than once during our 41 years of marriage. I believe it's referred to as "the rule of 72" , which states that money invested at 7% compound interest will double every ten years.

If we look at Steve's $42 Prussian helmet offered in 1968 and we apply the "rule of 72" that helmet (or the $42 invested at 7% over the course of 55 years would be worth just over $1,400. I'm pretty sure I can buy a comparable helmet today for less than $1,400 (even using Canadian dollars):D

So, from a purely clinical perspective I would have been better to put my money in the bank, but I wouldn't have had anywhere near as much fun!
That all well & good , but there has not been a steady run over the years of 7 %
especially the last few years
and the stock market is no sure thing
up & down like a yoyo
Back when Jimmy Carter was Pres of the U S A rates were very nice
but any money that was borrowed was also super high
for business prime rate + 2 points
that could run us out of business
I did get 5 % for 5 years one time
anyway I like helmets better than stocks or money
I had money when I bought the helmets
I sold an Officers 1 L K 1 helmet to a CPA some years ago for $ 20,000
I tried to buy it back and he started to talk about that rule
so I just moved on down the tracks
Steve

This thread has been a wonderful trip down memory lane. Way beyond my memories, as I was born in the 1980's.
The last two threads stating the "rule of 72" is indeed a great point to bring up. The duty and responsibility to keep these items in their condition, properly to take care and preserve them to our best ability. Certainly a stock wouldn't take the time, love, and attention that must be given to a historical item that you cherish. Congrats to those who were able to purchase at incredible prices retrospectively looking. A deep sense of thanks that the items that you have had for those ≥45 years have been properly taken care of and preserved.
Wow, Is all I can say. A good reminder of where the hobby started and where it has progressed to. I for one, think that webhosting sites like this are so nice. To be able to reach out to others who have similar interested hobbies. I look forward to reading more posts as I have just discovered this forum. It is a pleasure.
Cheers Gentlemen.
Best Regards,
JustinG

Back