The Reichsadler

Lost Skeleton

This thread may not go far, but I thought it might be interesting to explore helmets specific to the German Reich. By this, I mean headdress worn by those military and civilian contingents created after the unification of Germany. For example, the Königliche Preussische Marine and Norddeutsche Bundesmarine would be combined in 1871 to form the Kaiserliche Marine, of which the See Bataillone (naval infantry) were a component; Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen would be policed by a newly created Reichs-Gendarmerie; and Germany's growing colonial interests would be protected by overseas Schutztruppe.

With respect to helmets, a characteristic shared by these diverse forces was a Wappen derived from the Reichsadler, an eagle adorned with the state crown of the new German Empire and heraldic Collar of the Black Eagle. Additionally, a single Kokarde or, where appropriate, Feldzeichen in the national colors was worn.

I have but three examples to share, but my hope is that other members of the forum will contribute to the "database."

Tschako for Reserve Officer, Kaiserliche Seebataillon:
SB.jpg

Pickelhaube for Wachtmeister zu Fuß, Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen Gendarmerie:
RG18.jpg

Pickelhaube for Officer, Ostasiatisches Besatzungsbrigade:
OAB.jpg

Chas.

Chas: A very interesting and worthwhile thread. The only example I have to contribute is this other ranks, private purchase, See Bn. shako.
seebn.jpg

Reservist1

Gentlemen:

Thank you for participating.

Joe:

I find it interesting that the two R.G. 18 helmets are thoroughly military in their configuration. Steve Sinclair's zu Pferd displays all the characteristics of a Dragoner helmet, whereas my zu Fuß represents the infantry archetype. Have you pictures of the Kokarde and rear spine of the mounted Gendarme?

R1:

Your private purchase See Bn. Tschako is superb. For those not familiar, See Bn. Offizier and Feldwebeltschako were covered in black felt, whilst issued Tschako were of lacquered leather. Some proud Seesoldat went the extra mile to buy a helmet of such quality. Is it ventilated, and is the liner also private purchase pattern?

It should be noted that the two Reichs Gendarmerie and Ostasiatisches helmets feature the Reichsadler as it appeared from 1888-1918. The new See Bn. Zierat was introduced in August, 1875, having evolved from the Marine-Infanterist Wappen of the Königliche Preussische Marine.

P1011415.jpg

(Source: Unsere Marineuniform, Josef Zeinert, Helmut Gerhard Schulz Verlag, Hamburg, 1970)

Replacing the Prussian Grenadier style Adler and fouled anchor was a modified Reichsadler with upswept wings, superimposed over, and clutching, an anchor. Personally, I consider it the most beautiful Wappen of the Kaiserreich.

Chas.

Is it ventilated, and is the liner also private purchase pattern?

Chas: The other ranks, private purchase, See Bn. shako is not ventilated. The liner is officer/private puchase style (leather sweatband with ribbed silk cap).

Reservist1

Lost Skeleton said:
// I find it interesting that the two R.G. 18 helmets are thoroughly military in their configuration. Steve Sinclair's zu Pferd displays all the characteristics of a Dragoner helmet, whereas my zu Fuß represents the infantry archetype. Have you pictures of the Kokarde and rear spine of the mounted Gendarme?.

Chas, that would fall in line with the often-misrepresented Land Gendarmerie helmets of which there were two types: mounted which look exactly like Garde Dragoner and foot, which look exactly like Garde Grenadier according to Löhken Ingo , Die Polizei-Uniformen in Preussen, 1866 - 1945 Friedberg, Podzun-Pallas-Verlag 1986. VERY nice Tschakos and helmets by the way.. :love10:

Joe:

I find it interesting that the two R.G. 18 helmets are thoroughly military in their configuration. Steve Sinclair's zu Pferd displays all the characteristics of a Dragoner helmet, whereas my zu Fuß represents the infantry archetype. Have you pictures of the Kokarde and rear spine of the mounted Gendarme?

I have partial pictures-these will probably do the trick.
s%20060.jpg

s%20061.jpg

s%20062.jpg

I spotted the following item on Herr Weitze's website. The Tschakozierat is the Reichsadler as it appeared prior to 6 December 1888. CLICK TO VIEW

A side by side comparison:
reichswappen.jpg

(Drawings created by David Liuzzo)

Chas.

Dan (DASH) raised a question in the thread, SOS 2009 Photos, regarding a helmet on the Trawnik/Cowan table. I've quoted Dan here as his query is germane to this discussion and is less likely to be buried once SOS 2009 is old news. I've also taken the liberty of borrowing and manipulating one of James' photos (knowing he's a good sport and won't hold it against me).

This is the helmet Dan spotted:
sos2009008.jpg

On 16 March:
DASH said:
I have had the mystery helmet for many years, but was never able to identify it (black leather trimmed in all brass - Reichsadler Wappen, short FLUTED spike, round base, officers style round visor and rear spine trim, flat chinscales, rosettes with fold over tabs, leather liner with square cut finger ends - unfortunately, it came without Kokarde/n.

I have had suggestions ranging from Colonial troops to Elsass Lothringen officials. Any thoughts on what the correct Kokard/Kokarden would be? I assume this is a pre 1880 helmet due to the square cut liner fingers.
Dan also noted a similar helmet in Joe's photos, which I subsequently purchased from Richard Kosek. This helmet also appears in the thread starter:
RG18.jpg

RG18interior.jpg

On 20 March:
DASH said:
At first glance, my helmet would seem to be related to your Elsass-Lothringen Gendarmerie helmet. If I might, I would like to start with your helmet, and describe how mine differs, as I am unable to post a picture.

1) I believe mine is earlier, as the crown is higher, and the liner fingers are square cut. I also believe it to be a low ranking officers, of field quality. All trim is brass.

2) The sewn on side rosette reinforcement panels appear to be longer and higher (60mm high) than normal on a size 53 helmet. The rosette hole center is 36mm from the helmet bottom rim. The size"53" is marked in pencil, and is the only marking.

3) The Reichsadler Wappen on mine seems to have just a bit more detail (the mouth is pierced, the feathers, scrolls, and crown appear to finer).

4) Visor and rear spine trim is officer style.

5) The 95mm high spike, which is visible in Minnesota Slims picture, is different from any other spike I have ever seen, and is rather delicate looking when compared to the Elsass spike. From the side, the spike itself has 4 flat sides with impressed flutes. They curve inward at the bottom to form a half sphere where they flow into the base. The base, which has no pearlring, is 18mm wide at its slimmest, and 30mm wide at its widest point. The one piece spike/base has 2 small side vent holes. When viewed from the top, the spike is square in form, with gently curving sides, with each corner directly over a base mounting hole. There is no Kugel on this spike.

6) The helmet came with flat brass chinscales. The rosettes are the fold over tab type. The helmet had no Kokarden when I purchased it, but there appears to be a Kokard imprint on thr right side, approximately 52mm in size. I had assumed, if Elsass, it would take a Reich "NCO" Kokard.

Any thoughts? Dan
On Tony's recommendation, I recently acquired a copy of Ingo Löhken's Polizei • Uniformen der Süddeutschen Staaten 1872 - 1932. The final chapter in this work chronicles Reichslande Elsaß-Lothringen 1872 bis 1918. Löhken describes Gendarmerie and Schutzmannschaft helmets in minute detail, but I have been unable to find the pattern to which Dan's helmet conforms.

With the exception of the fluted spike and officer Hinterschiene, Dan's helmet complies with the pre-1891 configuration for the Gendarmen/Wachtmeister/Oberwachmeister zu Fuß Lederhelm. By comparison, Offizier helmets featured angled visors (eckigem) and a cruciform spike base (Kreuzblattbasis) -- essentially an officer version of the mounted (berittenen Gendarmen) helmet belonging to Steve Sinclair above.

Without further inspiration, the most I can venture regarding Dan's helmet is that it does appear to be an early Reichs officer helmet (though not Elsaß-Lothringen Gendarmerie), and it should be fitted with a Reichskokarde with silver ring. I'm not sufficiently conversant with Zoll and Beamte helmets to volunteer more.

Chas.

Chas - Thank you for transferring my helmet question to the Reichsadler thread. I bought this helmet in 1965 for the Reichsadler, which has become my favorate Wappen, perhaps because of its belligerent stance.

There were thoughts that this helmet might be Zoll, Elsass-Lothringen Beamte or Polizei, or even Kolonial, but each thought had a problem.

One other clue, or dead end, is a helmet I saw in the 18 November, 1972 catalogue from the Tradition Auctionhaus, Munich. The helmet was almost identical to mine (and most likely identical to the one at the SOS). The difference was that it had officer stars, and a silk liner, which mine does not. It was lot #211, and was listed as : SEE-BATALLIONE, HELM EINES ZAHLMEISTERS der MARINE INFANTERIE.

I may never know what my helmet is, but if I can find a small hole "NCO" Reichs Kokarde, I will be a happy camper just having it in the cabinet.

Dan

DASH said:
It was lot #211, and was listed as : SEE-BATALLIONE, HELM EINES ZAHLMEISTERS der MARINE INFANTERIE.
Hi Dan:

That's one identification which can be ruled out immediately (any Zahlmeister helmet would feature silver Helm-beschlagen). Furthermore, I believe a Marine Zahlmeister would wear the peaked hat of a Seeoffizier with silver insignia and chinstrap buttons.

I'm still hunting.

Chas.

Chas - Thanks for the definitive answer to the "Zahlmeister" theory. It was an interesting concept, but wasn't high on my list of possibilities as I consider this helmet to be, perhaps, for someone at a rank equivalent to a sergeant.

In a quest to know what someting is, you have to know what it isn't. I am learning that you also have to be more critical, especially when using older reference material. A good example of this is the current discussion of the ebay uberzug.

It is comforting to know, however, that I do not have the only example of this helmet with this strange spike and Reichsadler, as there are 4 that I now know of (2 with officer stars, 2 with officer style fittings but round fold over studs).

Dan

Dan forwarded the following pictures of his exceptionally nice helmet:

HPIM0091.jpg

HPIM0092.jpg

HPIM0094.jpg

For comparison, Sergio Semino currently has for sale a Pickelhaube described as a Kaiserreich Offizier Gendarmerie Elsaß-Lothringen helmet HERE.

Dan, it is entirely possible your helmet is the pre-1891 version of mine. Perhaps, an A.E., A.K.O., or A.O. directive exists stipulating that the spike be changed to the Prussian military pattern when the Knopf 91 system was adopted.

Chas

Chas - Thank you for posting the pictures of my helmet for me, and showing the reference to the "Kaiserreich Offizier Gendarmerie - Elsass-Lothringen" helmet listed by Militaria Online.

After not knowing what my helmet was for all these years, YOU HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY!!!

I also agree with you, that your Wachtmeister zu Fuss, Reichsland ELsass-Lothringen Gendarmerie is a very close, but somewhat younger cousin. They also all share the single right side Reichs kokarde (mine is missing as it came with an incorrect 48mm large hole NCO Kokarde) but you can see the larger Kokarde imprint in the leather.

So, I'm still searching for the 53mm small hole Unteroffizier mit Portepee kokarde, and am confident that I will find one. Now that I know what the helmet is, I want everything - there's just no way to satisfy some people.

Thanks again, Dan

Great discussion chaps, and amazing photos. I thought you'd be curious to see this one- http://www.traditionsverband.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6

It's a Schutztruppe helmet model 1915, it says... any thoughts?

Cheers
Chris

Now that link had an interesting discussion! I have lusted after this wappen for years. Documentation seems to be completely outside of my reach. I have also seen several different varieties and colors. George had one of these. To add on to this point:

Eine weitere Frage stellt sich noch: Wer konnte überhaupt als Träger eines solchen Helmes ab 1916 überhaupt in Frage kommen? Die aktiven Offiziere waren in Afrika im Feld oder in Gefangenschaft und das Kommando der Schutztruppen im Reichskolonialamt scheidet aus. Offiziere im Beurlaubtenstand hätten das Landwehrkreuz tragen müssen, inaktive Sanitäts- und Veterinäroffiziere durften keinen fliegenden Adler tragen.
Vermutlich war der Träger ein Schutztruppen-Offizier im Beurlaubtenstand (Reserve/Landwehr), der es während des Krieges mit dem Landwehrkreuz nicht mehr so ernst nahm oder ein noch während des Krieges in die Heimat zurückgekehrter Offizier oder ein Veteran nach 1918.

I just don't know. I have difficulty with the Beurlaubtenstand concept, but cannot explain the different variations I have seen. based on some construction points, many of these seem to be veteran helmets-however, this example is M15 in nature. Why? I have not seen any Bekleidungsvorschriften der Schutztruppe from 1913 or 1916. Just shows you I just don't know. I think this discussion has been very well laid out since the beginning.

joerookery said:
I have not seen any Bekleidungsvorschriften der Schutztruppe from 1913 or 1916.

Hi Joe,

It's the 25.02.1916 Uniform Regulations for the Schutztruppe that mention the return of the Pickelhaube for the Schutztruppe on home duty. See
http://www.traditionsverband.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8
For more Schutztruppe uniform regulations.

Cheers
Chris

Later than you thought? you're right... The Pickelhaube was first used by the East African Schutztruppe as part of their home uniform in 1891 (I think that's the 04.06.1891 rules). Then it's dropped in the 1896 rules.... then brought back in 1916 (ironically the same year it was all but dropped by the regular army). All this was for home use only, I've not seen Pickelhaubes used in the colonies...

Cheers
Chris

Back