Thread sizes of screw posts on wappens

Mart Vear

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the correct tread size & type is for wappens and spike retaining bolts?

I am trying to replicate some missing parts - the tread is about 26 teeth per inch and approx 1/8th inch (3mm) diameter. 4BA is close, but too finer thread as the originals had a course thread rather than a fine thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for the info Tony - have managed (after much searching) to find the right size & pitch tap & die to make some new wappen fixings from 1/8th inch brass bar.

The thread is 1/8th - 26 "Brass" BSCY.

Have found an excellent supplier in the UK. Tracey Tools Ltd.

0044 0803 328603

e-mail; [email protected]

www.Traceytools.com

Ask to speak to Gill - a very helpful chap. I sent him a sample (original) thread and he even sent me a tap and die to inspect before I paid for the goods. That is what I call excellent customer service, so I've stocked-up with drills taps & dies £17 for a duplicate set of taps, dies, drills, tap wrench & die stock.

Regards,

Martin.

Mart Vear said:
Thanks for the info Tony - have managed (after much searching) to find the right size & pitch tap & die to make some new wappen fixings from 1/8th inch brass bar.

The thread is 1/8th - 26 "Brass" BSCY.

Have found an excellent supplier in the UK. Tracey Tools Ltd.

0044 0803 328603

e-mail; [email protected]

www.Traceytools.com

Ask to speak to Gill - a very helpful chap. I sent him a sample (original) thread and he even sent me a tap and die to inspect before I paid for the goods. That is what I call excellent customer service, so I've stocked-up with drills taps & dies £17 for a duplicate set of taps, dies, drills, tap wrench & die stock.

Regards,

Martin.

Hey Martin,
We often discuss the bad aspects of this hobby, and like the news, we often forget that there are a lot of great people out there (in this case, some one who is not related to the hobby) It is nice to hear about the good out there.
Gus

No doubt some will remember this thread from over ten years ago when Martin Vear acquired the taps and dies which he hoped would enable him to recreate the screw posts for wappens. Since then I had already contacted Tracey Tools Ltd. about the availability of the same tools and found that they no longer stock them: instead they offered to have them specially made but at an extremely high price (£200).Before committing to a similar purchase of tooling I tried several times to contact Martin to ask his advice on if he had found them to be effective, but ran into a wall. Sad to say I have now discovered that Martin suddenly and unexpectedly passed away in June 2022. Naturally I am reluctant to dive in and order them without knowing if they will actually do the job so, if anyone has any insight into this question or knows of a supplier who can offer a cheaper alternative for taps and dies matching Martin's specifications above I would appreciate hearing from them.
"The thread is 1/8th - 26 "Brass" BSCY" = 1/8th inch brass rod, 26 threads per inch, brass cutting taps and dies, BSCY is British standard Cycle thread.
Steve.

My thanks to you both for sharing this information. The issue of missing square brass nuts on wappen posts etc. has been a constant problem throughout my collecting career of 40+ years. It would be a huge plus if someone in our community could make these and offer them for sale.

Hello Kenny, I was aware that you had original tools but remember you saying that you were only making screws and nuts for your own projects due to the time it takes to produce them? Perhaps you were saying this would make them too expensive to be commercially viable?
As Brian says, probably most members here are in need of nuts to fit on existing wappen screws and/or replacement screws which will match existing ones on damaged wappen. If you were willing to supply them I am sure you would find many people here happy to buy them.
Please let us know if this is the case, I am sure it would mean a lot to the members.
Best regards, Steve

Hello Kenny, I was aware that you had original tools but remember you saying that you were only making screws and nuts for your own projects due to the time it takes to produce them? Perhaps you were saying this would make them too expensive to be commercially viable?
As Brian says, probably most members here are in need of nuts to fit on existing wappen screws and/or replacement screws which will match existing ones on damaged wappen. If you were willing to supply them I am sure you would find many people here happy to buy them.
Please let us know if this is the case, I am sure it would mean a lot to the members.
Best regards, Steve
He has all the original tools and can do anything just give him time.Now he is swamped with work,but if he finds time he will help.

Hi Wojtek, I guessed that Kenny was already pretty busy which is another reason why I have spent some time now looking for the right tools locally. Unfortunately, these tools are no longer a generally available stock item from any supplier I can find. Most suppliers begin their range at 3/16th inch and only go up in size. Seems a little crazy that you now struggle to buy things that were on sale just 14 years ago! (and at more than ten times the price!!)
Cheers,
Steve

I recently bought such a tool in the UK. Unfortunately, it is a British inch tool. I would need the measure of the American tool. Because they are two different measures of the number of coils per inch.

Attachments

• IMG_20240111_131657.jpg
    IMG_20240111_131657.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
And when it comes to ordinary square nuts with finely beveled corners. This means shorter production time.

Here are examples of my work with various nuts. These are tailored to the specific period of the helmet along with the pitch and thread diameters. Making the threads took the most time. Such nuts are made faster because they are made of smooth sheet metal.

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_183111.jpg
    IMG_20240320_183111.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 8
Kenny, the spec above is a UK size, that is where I am and where Tracey Tools are located. Looks like you found an old set?
Steve

The kit has British 1/4, 3/16, 6/32, 1/8, 3/32, 1/16 inch. I didn't demand a bit, but WD-40 took care of it and the kit is like new. If I find something I'll post a link.

Thanks for looking for these Kenny. Unfortunately there is no data given on thread type or TPI on this set, also seller will not ship to the UK . At the price they are now, plus shipping, it is a complete gamble if they would work with existing threads on screws and/or nuts I already have. Its looking like maybe I have to go for the custom made new set from Tracey tools, at least that way I would know what I was getting!
Best regards, steve

At most, I'll take it if you don't want it.
Dimension 1/8 is 28 coils per inch. I own such tools then I can advise something.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_192341.jpg
    IMG_20240322_192341.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back