Three Wartime Officer helmets

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Here are three wartime officer helmets, sometimes called M15 officer helmets. I showed the 2 Bavarians before and the Prussian I just picked up.

First the 2 Bavarians have spikes that unscrew at the base and are both Fibre helmets which makes sense for the awesome condition. Both have regular officer scales whit separate Rosettes. Interesting you can also just unscrew the top of each to put a trichter on for parade.

The Prussian has a true M15 spike that is the bayonet lug type but an officer version. the helmet itself is Vulcanfibre, the scales are very interesting, they are one piece design where the rosette is built into the scales, however it is not the type that goes over a M91 post, but simply goes through the helmet with a split pin.

thanks

James

Yes,...fantastic officer private purchase examples of what was done after the war began and we see those wide flat brads on the side posts used on kit helmets. Many times we continually find these "exceptions" things, which no one or at least us collectors here on the forum have ever seen before. I guess, everything boils down to...it's war what materials are available and how do you produce the product....?? Obviously, if we look at the M15 officer's helme, well, even for officers, they could not lead the attack with a spike top or brass chin scales. Consequently, they wore the leather OR's chin strap and no spike. Something that was also realized by our side. Better to wear some OR's equipment and survive to lead another day than to die because of your officer accoutrements.

James,
WOW! Great looking group of helmets and excellent background information on wartime helmets. Thanks for sharing with us.
Best regards,
John

How is the threaded spike post on the Bavarian attached to the base plate? I can't see any signs that this one ever had a spike.

Very beautiful items,congratulations! I am interested in this Prussian leather lining,which is without rounding.Was it used before 1915?

aicusv said:
How is the threaded spike post on the Bavarian attached to the base plate? I can't see any signs that this one ever had a spike. bav top and post.jpg
Good evening,
in fact the M15 tin-gray "button" has been unsoldered.

Good Evening LeBrasseur
:thumb up:
The M15 officer's helmet must have the removable tip, as here, and the M91 pins for the M15 officer's chinstrap, with a chest rosette including the pin key. On your "Prussian", the trunnions have been removed and the M15 officer's chinstrap has been modified, with M71 rosettes from previous models. We can see the circular trace, behind the 2 folding legs.

There is no signs of solder or any other type of fastener for the "button" on my helmet. The carrying case to the helmet is made so the helmet may be carried without a spike. Überzug doesn't have a spike cover, just a hole. I'm of the option it never had a spike.

Good evening Aicusv,
the M15 tips and buttons were only crimped by beaten collar, from 1914. The button could therefore be "detached". I cannot understand an officer's helmet, mounted with a cruciform base, without a point. :-k

Excellent finds James, congratulations!

These M15 Officer helmets don't show up very often. You have some great examples!

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hello, interesting and reassuring to see the gilt Bavarian has had an original circular base replaced with the cruciform base .....I have a similar Wurttemberg officer's helmet with the same changed configuration,,,,, my "good" friends have been telling me for years that it's a modern addition......they still want it for their collections though!1617736272534.png

Back