TWO NEW VICTORIAN BRITISH INFANTRY OFFICER'S HOME SERVICE HELMETS IN MY COLLECTION

Yeohelmetguy

Hello all,

These two Victorian era British Army home service helmets arrived this past week. Both are volunteer officer's home service helmets, hence their all-silver fittings and front helmet plates. The first home service helmet is an extremely rare helmet to a volunteer officer of the 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers. This regiment became the 4th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots (Regiment). The helmet was worn from 1881 through 1888.

The second home service helmet is to a volunteer officer of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Lancaster Regiment, again identified as a volunteer by the all-silver fittings and helmet plate and the secondary scroll under the regimental title scroll inscribed "1st Volunteer Battalion". This helmet was worn from 1881 through 1901. I have included a helmet plate, also from my collection, worn by the two regular battalions of The Royal Lancaster Regiment. Note that the regular battalion's helmet plate is in gilt.

Kind regards all,

David

2nd MIDLOTHIA AND PEEBLES RIFLE VOLUNTEERS:
2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 1a.jpg

2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 2.jpg

2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 3.jpg

2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 4.jpg

2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 5.jpg

HOME SERVICE HELMET 1st VOLUNTEER BATTALION, THE ROYAL LANCASTER REGIMENT BELOW:
Royal Lancaster Regiment 2a.jpg

Royal Lancaster Regiment 3.jpg

Royal Lancaster Regiment 4.jpg

Royal Lancaster Regiment 5a.jpg

Helmet Plate Royal Lancashire Regiment.jpg

Congratulations on the new additions (y)
Its always exciting to add something new especially when they are in such nice condition.

Congratulations on the new additions (y)
Its always exciting to add something new especially when they are in such nice condition.
Hi John!

Thank you!!! It's like an early Christmas at my home with the arrival of these two new helmets. I agree with you, it is exciting to acquire new pieces for the collection and made even better when those pieces are of exceptional quality and exceed expectations! Thank you taking time to look at this post (and my previous posts) and your always very kind, very generous and very motivating remarks!!

Best regards,

David

Wow David - those are beautiful and worthy additions to your already impressive collection!

Wow David - those are beautiful and worthy additions to your already impressive collection!
Hi Jeff!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your always so positive and very generous comments!!! I really do appreciate you taking time to look at this post and making comment. I have to admit, they do excide my expectations... for blue cloth and cork helmets that are now pushing over 140 years old these two barely show a trace of ware and are in almost pristine condition... they apparently saw very little service ware and I think they spent most of their existence neatly stored away in their metal storage/travel tins away from light and bugs as there is no fading or mothing tracks on either helmet and the helmet plates have never been removed and original to both helmets!

Again, thank you for your much appreciated comments regarding these two helmets and my collection as a whole!

As always, my very best regards.

David

Hi John!

Thank you!!! It's like an early Christmas at my home with the arrival of these two new helmets. I agree with you, it is exciting to acquire new pieces for the collection and made even better when those pieces are of exceptional quality and exceed expectations! Thank you taking time to look at this post (and my previous posts) and your always very kind, very generous and very motivating remarks!!

Best regards,

David

Thanks David,

Its always a pleasure to follow your posts and see whats new. They are always excellent, being well presented with detailed photo's and information. I always learn something (y) Happy hunting John Josef

Thanks David,

Its always a pleasure to follow your posts and see whats new. They are always excellent, being well presented with detailed photo's and information. I always learn something (y) Happy hunting John Josef
... John, thank you again, I am thrilled that you find my posts both interesting and informative and the photographs so useful. Should you ever need or want more information or some clarification of anything you see or read in one of my posts or require or simply want additional photographs of anything, please don't hesitate to ask me and I will try and provide it to you.

Regards,

David

Hello David,
I have now found the article on your latest additions to your collection! What magnificent helmets! I always admire the strong individual expressiveness of the helmet emblems (Zirate) in the British Army! (y) :)
Frank🇩🇪

Hello David,
I have now found the article on your latest additions to your collection! What magnificent helmets! I always admire the strong individual expressiveness of the helmet emblems (Zirate) in the British Army! (y) :)
Frank🇩🇪
Hello Frank!!

I am thrilled you enjoyed my latest post about my two newest British officer's home service helmets to make their way into my collection. I appreciate your, always, very kind remarks... and I must confess that I really like these two helmets, both in exceptional condition especially considering they are 140 plus years old and made of cork and cloth... really like the variety of helmet plates! Again, thank you, again. for your very considerate and kind note!! I will be post another new helmet when it arrives next week.

Cheers,

David

Back