Uniform Group of Victorian RA Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel George Hampson Morrison

I would like to comment on this uniform group. This one is so beautiful I think I would even add this to my collection. You can see that tradition was held very high in the past. Even today, the English uniforms are still magnificent. Unfortunately, this awareness is missing here in Germany. Everything that has to do with the military is treated with contempt. I myself served as a mountaineer 30 years ago. We are not allowed to wear dress uniform to leave at the weekend. Some soldiers were spat on.
My respect for England, Sweden etc.How proud that soldier must have been wearing that uniform!!!!!

I did “like” for your comment on the proud soldier. I really feel sorry for how it was for you during your service.

Of course now that the Russians are at it again everything is changing. Even cheapo Canada is rushing to buy new equipment.

I served 33 years in the Canadian Artillery.

Be proud of your service!

My respect for England, Sweden etc.How proud that soldier must have been wearing that uniform!!!!!
I totally agree, although British uniforms in my opinion are a bit too resplendent. I favour a balance of elements and good choice of colour combination in uniform designs, so German uniforms stand out immediately. But unfortunately dress uniforms for all armies are facing danger of vanishing now, some of them disappeared already. We could only hope traditions and craftsmanship could one day come back.
Even British uniforms have a significant decline in quality over the years after WW2.

I have to ask Jvpi.....can you wear it?? :) From my understanding, some German WW2 uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss. I have never been in the military, my father was in WW2 and my grandfather in WW1. I believe, that a good looking uniform instills pride and confidence in those who wear it.

The home service helmet introduced to the British Army in 1878 had significant influences from German (Prussian) spike helmets. The Royal Artillery officers initially worn a spike helmet made by cork and covered with blue cloth, then in 1881 the top was replaced by a ball in leaf cup, which is again a feature of the German Kugelhelm for artillerymen. The gilt helmet chain can be attached to two gilt rosettes on the side, but normally the right side of chain is hooked to the back of the spike base. The M1878 helmet plate showed Royal Arms and a gun, below the gun a scroll featured "SCOTTISH DIVISION". The helmet displayed here is in great condition, with almost no signs of wear. The interior facing is beautiful green coloured. The grey wool sweatband is marked "Dr Jaeger's Sanitary Woollen Hat Lining". However in my opinion the British home service helmets are far less attractive than the German Pickelhaubes, especially reflect on the odd shape and visor.

Last edited:
I have to ask Jvpi.....can you wear it?? :) From my understanding, some German WW2 uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss. I have never been in the military, my father was in WW2 and my grandfather in WW1. I believe, that a good looking uniform instills pride and confidence in those who wear it.
Hello Brian,
I'm once again very lucky, these uniforms are exact my size. But I don't have any photo taken yet.
About the saying that Wehrmacht or SS uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss, I don't think there are valid proofs about it. Personally I don't believe it. Hugo Boss was definitely one of the many uniform makers. "Good looking uniforms" is a result of tradition succession and development. :unsure:

Original iron case of George Hampson Morrison's uniform set, with his name, rank and unit written on it.

Lieut Col G H Morrison
Capt 5º Bde Scottish Div
Royal Artillery

56-S.jpg

Last edited:
Back