Unknown helmet

edwin

Dear all,

Below are some pics of a helmet that belongs to colleague. It was apparently obtained at a local fleamarket in the '50s in the north of the Netherlands and was used by the Dutch, British and Germans during WW2. I am no expert but it does not look like a Dutch or German helmet to me. Rather, it looks like a Russian one to me.

I am interested to hear your thoughts!

Regards,

Edwin

helmet_1 by edwinvanbloois, on Flickr

helmet_2 by edwinvanbloois, on Flickr

helmet_3 by edwinvanbloois, on Flickr

Hello

This helmet is a GB one, MKIII. WW2 era.
The flashes on the side are probably tactical or unit markings.
Normally the liner should be dated on the black cross, the shall usually near the chinstraps

Brgds

JM

I agree it is a MkIII, which differed from the later MkIV as noted by the rivet placement for the chinstrap. It is higher on the MkIII and this pattern has a liner that can't be as easily removed. This was changed with the MkIV, which allowed the liner to be removed and kept the helmet "watertight" to be used as a wash basin, etc.

The MkIII helmets first saw use at D-Day but mainly by the Canadian troops so this helmet could be a Canadian one. I don't recognize the flash on the side however.

Thanks chaps! And a MkIII helmet used by the canadians makes sense because they liberated the north of the Netherlands.

Regards,

Edwin

Back