Wanting to Trade Pickelhaube Chinstrap

DoneDoing

I have an unusual request where I have a well used Brass fittings Chinstrap and want the same but not so used.

My only Pickelhaube is somewhat immaculate and this strap is not.

Unusual I know but I don't expect much but thought I'd put it out there anyway....you never know.

Attachments

• gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ggg.jpg
    ggg.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 6
  • gggg.jpg
    gggg.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 5
  • ggggg.jpg
    ggggg.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 5
  • gggggg.jpg
    gggggg.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 6
The belt is good, it just needs maintenance. The simplest method is to grease the leather with black paste, and the effect will be immediate. You can also use pickelhaube leather restorer. You can also lubricate the strap with white petroleum jelly,or borrow a wrinkle cream or petroleum jelly based cream.This fitting is not suitable for the m16 helmet because of the different shape.
Wojtek

Hi Wojtek
Thanks for your advise.

When you say black paste, what is that?
And there's a pickelhaube leather restorer?

Yes it was off an M16 that I had and I knew when I bought them it wasn't the right chinstrap for a stanhelm.

Wayne

Hi Wojtek,
We all have our own ways. I polish my shoes every day, but I would NEVER grease or lubricate old leather on Pickelhauben. Guaranteed ruining, and drop in value. Leather is dry? And so what? Just handle it with care (unless you wear the helmet every day).
This is only my opinion though; you may have a miracle recipe...

Hi Wojtek,
We all have our own ways. I polish my shoes every day, but I would NEVER grease or lubricate old leather on Pickelhauben. Guaranteed ruining, and drop in value. Leather is dry? And so what? Just handle it with care (unless you wear the helmet every day).
This is only my opinion though; you may have a miracle recipe...
There's a few things I've done to some of my stanhelms over time that others wouldn't agree with but I've not conditioned a leather strap or liner as it's intricate part of the use however pickelhaubes in my opinion are an object of beauty and gleam, hence why I wanted to 'out-part' this strap and I know that some people prefer them this way but not me in this instance for my one and only haube. It just doesn't suit the haube overall.

I hope that makes sense

All my items have been lubricated with this paste and polished.Except that my pickelhaubes were in very poor condition.You are probably right that for perfect coatings they may not be suitable. In the picture I show a strip from raupenhelm,which was suitable for throwing away,and after applying the paste it even shines.I greased the small strip in the pictures.Greetings to all and thank you for your feedback.
Wojtek

Attachments

• DSC00278.JPG
    DSC00278.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00279.JPG
    DSC00279.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00280.JPG
    DSC00280.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00281.JPG
    DSC00281.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00282.JPG
    DSC00282.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00285.JPG
    DSC00285.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC09666.JPG
    DSC09666.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 19
Hi Wojtek
Thanks for your advise.

When you say black paste, what is that?
And there's a pickelhaube leather restorer?

Yes it was off an M16 that I had and I knew when I bought them it wasn't the right chinstrap for a stanhelm.

Wayne
All the helmets I dug out of the ground had such brass fittings.Of course they fit on knopfs,but they are stronger.

Attachments

• DSC08546.JPG
    DSC08546.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
Back