Websites of Interest

As I am studying nowadays General der Infanterie von Gaede, a rather unknown general with for the period remarkable progressive insights, like being responsible for introducing the first helmets, the deployment of the first mountain ski-units, the first Flammenwerfer-Abteilungen and Sturmabteilungen in 1915 in the Vosges. He may be forgotten nowadays, but I consider him as a tactical genius with an open mind for experimenting with for that period new tactics. During this process I found this interesting website considering amongst others storm troopers: “The Soldiers Burden”, http://www.kaiserscross.com/40029/home.html .

By the way I am collecting all kinds of written material and photographs stuff concerning von Gaede. I don’t need anymore the compositions of his units, nor the dates and events of the engagements in the Vosges, but I am still really looking for an electronic sample of Hans Alexander von Gaede’s “Persönliches Kriegstagebuch”. His military achievements are clear for me, but the man inside the uniform, or what was on his mind, the human factor is what I am interested in. Based only on few quotes concerning the Alsatian people, it was probably not a nice guy. If someone can help me out with this, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

That's a great site you recommended there Pierre, it's got some very useful descriptions of the First World War in Africa! The author is quite active on the GMIC forum. He's a nice guy I'll send him an invitation here...

Cheers
Chris

Back