We're back ...

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone who doesn't already know. Our website (Pickelhaubes.Com) was hacked. Unfortunately, all information and content has been deleted. It is very disheartening and upsetting. But, I just uploaded the files here for the temporary forum and within 2 minutes there were two guests. I think that makes the work ahead all worth while. Will try and get you guys up and running as soon as possible. Please bear with me.

Please be aware that the memberlist was also lost. So everyone will have to register as members again. Your username and password WILL NOT work unless you sign up again. Sorry about that folks.

Brian and Margo

PS: Our email was also down for a couple of days. Thank you to Col. Joe for forwarding emails to members.

Super thanks to you all. My mailbox has been full of stuff about New Orleans and the forum. This was missed.

Tony and Mike beat me in getting on line but I am still ahead of Gus and Otto!

Hey Joe,
What did you do to the registration link? There are some advantages to not using our old pass words, as I can not remember mine.
Gus

Praise God this forum is back! I was going through pickelhaube withdrawal (and those spikes hurt on the way out!!!) :lol:

Welcome back guys. I t is good to see that we all still have a sense of humour. Gus.....could you not have used your alien powers to stop this hack?? We are feeling like farmers here...blind sided by some creep who chose to mess with our lives! BTW Margo has been sequestered in her computer office for the last 6hrs.
Best to all. Brian

Hi Margo,
I tried to click on the button by the red arrow too.
Gus

Hi All,
Happy to "see" you again!
Brian and Joe, aliens are blind ( and had no hands & wood noses ) .
Thanks Margo!
Otto :D

Brian & Margo
So very glad to see you back, I too was suffering from withdrawl! Glad to see every one is finding their way back also, Gus is still logging in as guest .

I have all confidence that pickelhaubes.com will be back better than ever.
My hat 's off to you both.

George

Brian and Margo,
What an amazing recovery! The whole forum seems to be coming back together at light-speed.

Do you mind if I ask some questions:

How do hackers take down a website completely? and is there anything to be done to protect it?

What features do you have in mind for the new forum?

Is there anything the members can do to help rebuild this great forum?

Mike

Hi Brian and Margo,

Its really great that you guys keep the forum alive again, pity that some interesting posts are lost.

I am with Mike, is there anyway that we can detect anyone from hacking or placing a trojan virus in the site?

cheers,
Bambang

Mike et al:
The hacker atatched a program to our site which would let them hack other sites hosted by the domain provider. The domain host required us to allow them to destroy all files before we could get our domain back. Unfortunately, we had not backed up anything on CD. I have copies of the original collection photos but they are on floppy disc and it is a matter of finding an old computer to run them. My mother in laws' may work on this. Memebers can help out by letting us know if they saved any of the information from the forum threads. For example, Kaiser Bill has the list of helmet manufacturers that we all created.
Our best protection against hackers is to change our admin pass words regularly and keep files updated.
The site will be rebuilt slowly as both Margo and I work. If anyone has suggestions about new concepts or what you would like to see on pickelhaubes.com let us know via email. We both have a positive attitude about this crash and see it as an opportunity to make the site better. I especially want to end up with higher quality pictures of the pieces in my collection.
Regards, Brian

One back up we used was my mailing list. While not intended originally for this purpose it worked. The bad news is that I didn't have everyones email. As a result I couldn't contact Johnny, KB, Raiseth Robert_SFL and a bunch of other members. Often because their data was in the old PMs.
I feel real bad about this as I consider our members friends.

So long story short.....If you want to be in the loop for anything else I guess I need emails to add. Please if you know of any old members you can contact please do. Most of you are already getting spam from me anyway. God Bless.

Joe,
Somewhere in my papers, I have Raiseth's address, I will do a search and get word to him. Sorry my alien powers could not help, they are so weak that I could not even log on myself.
Gus

Hi Gus:

Bill has registered and is member number 24.

Chas.

Hi Chas,
That is great as I have been unable to find his address yet.
Gus

Back