What to display with an M1842?

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
So the problem was, if even Rastatt does not have a Waffenrock dated prior to 1871, what can a guy hope to find to display with his M1842 Pickelhaube? An 1812 EK is too early, a Waffenrock is impossible, an 1870 EK is too late, and a Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr (needle gun) Model 1848 is also too late.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh09.htm

dbh09.jpg

Everything below is the result of networking between good friends: Joe Semen (member #82) who tranfered this from his fine collection to mine, and Wyliecoyote (aka George member #12) who worked tenaciously to gather me information on it.

So the answer was an 1836 dated Prussian smoothbore infantry musket Infanterie-Gewehr M/1809 Neupreussisches Gewehr M.1809/39 in all original condition. The "New Prussian" designation was to indicate it was a new issue to take the place of the existing "Fusilier-Gewehr M/1787" and it's 1796 "Modification". Basically, the difference was a musket more on the order of the French style rather than the previous Prussian style from the era of Frederick The Great.

dbe14a.jpg

The caliber is an impressive 18 mm. The musket was made originally as an M1809 and utilized a flintlock mechanism. In 1839, all M1809 were converted to percussion cap and designated M.1809/1839). The conversion consisted of closing the touch hole, changing the breech plug to one having a hole bored in its face, with nipple screwed to the plug, at a slant, connecting with the hole at the rear. Furthermore, the new hammer was installed during the transformation.

dbe14e.jpg

This example was manufactured at the arsenal at Neisse in what was Upper Silesia in 1836 and accordingly marked on the lock plate, barrel, and butt plate. As an Infantry example, the furniture was brass (trigger guard, butt plate, and barrel bands). Jäger battalions utilized iron furniture.

dbe14b.jpg

dbe14c.jpg

The markings appears to be: Weapon No. 405, 6th Companie, 11th Landwehr Regiment. So both the Pickelhaube and musket are Landwehr. There could not be a better match. As "405" is a very high number for a company, it could be that the weapons were marked to the regiment instead of just the Company, or maybe to the Batallion? Note the spelling at that time in German was Companie. Around 1900 it changed to Kompanie.

dbe14d.jpg

And finally, Preußen soldiers wearing the M1842 Pickelhaube and armed with this same Neupreussisches Gewehr M.1809/39. Note the Infantry have brass furniture and the Jäger has iron furniture.

dbe14h.jpg

Fantastic, Tony!

The next challenge will be to locate a bayonet and some 18mm musket balls to "enhance" your display. The musket is beautiful.

Chas.

T

Didn't think there was a thing you could do to make that ole' musket look sweeter than it does, that is until I saw the picture of it next to that fabulous M42. Congradulations!

:headbang:

Geo

joerookery said:
It is so hard to find information on older stuff like that. Great job!
I did nothing but take the photos. George did all the research for me, he deserves the :thumbleft: and my thanks.

I suppose there is no point in mentioning the photos would be more enjoyable, but they are being compressed into 550 pixels wide by the pointless "photo re-size" code.

Nice conversion musket, these are interesting when you see the way obsolete weapons are moderized
Gus

Tony--
That is incredible... actually both the helmet and the musket are truly incredible! And the photos really are beyond top notch.

Congratulaions Tony, on another fine addition to your world class collection. My compliments once again on your excellent high definition fotos. Brian

Hey! I am pleased you all enjoyed seeing it. 18mm.... must have been like getting hit with a lead grapefruit.

Now I need to find that elusive 1848 Dreyse needle-gun to go with my Franco-Preußen war helmets......... :confused2:

Excellant stuff Tony!!!!

Talk about finding needles in the haystack!

Thank you for sharing!

John

Tony,

Very nice piece.

What you really want now is a Model 1841 Dreyse Zundnadelgewehr, the first pattern of Dreyse on general issue before being superseded by the M1862, The M1841 was the primary infantry rifle for the Danish wars and even the Austrian War. I have a M1862 and bayonet, and I have a M1841 bayonet, but not the rifle. I have seen a couple of them around but I am always either too late, or they have been heavly restored/modified in some way.

Great M1842 helmet.

Mike

flasheart said:
What you really want now is a Model 1841 Dreyse Zundnadelgewehr, the first pattern of Dreyse on general issue before being superseded by the M1862, The M1841 was the primary infantry rifle for the Danish wars and even the Austrian War. I have a M1862 and bayonet, and I have a M1841 bayonet, but not the rifle.

What I am activelly searching for is, a M1862 Dreyse to go with my Franco-Preußen war helmets. Any chance of you e-mailing me photos of yours? Would like very much to see it.

Tony,

I am away from home for the next week but I will send some photos as soon as I get home. It is a very nice piece, regimentally marked to 1st Guards, beautiful wood, browning cleaned off at some stage but still with very fine surfaces and edges on the metalwork. I love the Dreyse, big and clumsy compared to my Chassepot, but beautifully engineered and the first of its type.

Mike

Back