What's that badge?

This the third time that I viewed this intriguing photograph, Brett. The photo generates some questions with me. Who is the general? Can someone here perhaps indentify this person? The photo also suggests that there might be a family relationship between those two guys, like grandfather and grandson. The boy seems much younger than 16 years old, perhaps 11-13 years old. May be he was dressed up for the occasion with, helmet, rifle and bayonet? Do you possess any more detailed info about this interesting picture, Brett?
Anyway thanks for sharing!

Good evening Pierre, thanks for taking the time to look at the photograph.

Frustratingly there is nothing on the back to help us :twisted:

And I have not yet identified the General. Not a good start. However, like you, I suspect he is a relative of the Kindersoldat, who looks to me to be between 10 - 12 years old.

Early days, hopefully I'll be able to update this post soon.

- Brett

Hey Brett, could this be a Pathfinder badge? the Pathfinders were the German version of the British Boy Scouts, who were originally a para-military orgination to prepare young boys for military service.
Best
Gus

Great pic...what neck order is the general wearing? It that a flower in his button hole?. Excellent I love these old fotos!

Cheers for the clarification of the neck order Liongules.

Geo - I had von Kluck down as a 'maybe', but this fellow looks a little portly and surely he would be wearing his PLM. Still - I haven't totally discounted the possibility.

What do you think?

Too bad in the photo we can't see his eyes better, and looking now, not sure if the decoration at the neck is the same. Anyone?

I believe that the lack of the PLM discounts von Kluck, as recipients were required to wear the PLM.
Best
Gus

.. Generalleutnant Friedrich von Schippert (1858-1924)?

474px-Friedrich_von_Schippert.jpg

I do not think so, von Schippert has a small bump in front of his left ear that the other does not have, as well as one off the left end of his moustache.
Best
Gus

Yes the bumps are characteristic. I'm asking around in a few German forum sites maybe someone can help.

Hey Chip,
It looks like you nailed it, now that you are on house arrest, you should be able to drop in more often, we have missed your knowledge. Even the crossed ribbon detail at the bottom of the badge is visible in the photo.
Best
Gus

One guy suggested Georg von der Marwitz. In that case the boy could possibly be Adolf-Heinrich von Arnim who was his grandson and a tank commander in WWII, which is pure speculation of course.

Marwitz.jpg
marwitz.jpg

Heinrich von Arnim aged around 90..
vonarnim.jpg

Back