Yes I love ersatz pichelhaube.

Yes, one of the things I'd planned to do: the hemmed felts on the bottom edge are made by Bambus-Berlin. It's the trademark that makes them instantly recognisable. Congratulations.

As you can see the liner is clearly marked "J.Bambus & Co - Berlin - Petersburgerstr. 77".
Fascinating in my opinion.
There is also signed the name of the ancient owner but unfortunately is difficult to read.
Same story here and thank you Zebedeus to remind me as I overlooked (or forget:rolleyes:) this Bambus-item during the years😊.

Attachments

• Bambus Felz_01.jpg
    Bambus Felz_01.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Got to love the black painted parts of the Bambus .
Of all your rare felts this is one that I luckily have.
Thanks for sharing.

Step by step, and now here is another one tin helmet.
This one is a Wurttembergische Infanterie tin helmet. View attachment 19902View attachment 19903View attachment 19904
Hello Zébédée,
This type of model in steel plate, with all the characteristics mentioned (visor and nape shield crimped to the hull, plate fastening by horizontal bridges, centre crimped tip with false rivets etc...) is not a true "Ersatz", like the Bavarian BINGs. In fact, these two models are the only ones to have been officially approved by AKO, with acceptance of the manufacturing patent and the 'Probe'.(proposed prototype). This model was patented and manufactured by Weissenburger in Cannstatt (Stuttgart). In this case, the plate is Württemberg and there are no markings.

However, the same model can be seen with a Prussian Linien-Adler. It was manufactured under the same patent (under license) by Von der Heyden in Berlin. And in this case, we can see the initials VdH, painted in white.
Von dHBerlin.JPGVder Heyden.jpg
As you can see below, apart from the front plates, they are identical. Ertz4  VdH Berlin Wbger Cannstatt.JPGErtz4 V dHeyden &Weissenburger.JPGErtz4 VdHeyden & Weissenburg.JPG
The VdH and Weissenburger were manufactured in M95/14 brass fittings, then in M15, stamped steel fittings, but in this case, no more visor edge, and fixing of the eagle or plate by central and unique screw-nut.
Von der Heyden type 1.GIFVondHeydenM15 &Weissenburger.PNG

Last edited:
Dear Clovis, thank you. You had added precious informations. I think it is very useful to add informations and make them avaliable to all collectors. I hope that together we can make this topic more interesting.
Zeb

This is an Ersatz Saxon model. Very rare because of its construction. The shell is made of aluminum, but the visor and neck protector are made of leather, and sewn !!! The underside is painted beige, and the top is painted black.
Ertz3 Alu Saxe1.JPGErtz3 Alu Saxe2.JPG
Alu beige-noir cousu Eparges.jpg

Alu beige_noir cousu Eparges.jpg
Ertz3 Alu Saxe3  nuc-visière cuir.JPG

Ertz3 Alu Saxe4 coiffe cousue.JPG

Label Rekruten-Depot 102 is certainly a wartime helmet.
alu 102R Saxe Rekruten Depot.jpg

In its uncovered state , i didn't hesitate, given the rarity of this model. I've never seen another like it. The Rekruten-Depot set up during mobilization did not exist in peacetime.

Last edited:
This is an Ersatz Saxon model. Very rare because of its construction. The shell is made of aluminum, but the visor and neck protector are made of leather, and sewn !!! The underside is painted beige, and the top is painted black.
View attachment 40326View attachment 40327View attachment 40328

View attachment 40329 In its uncovered state, I didn't try too hard, given the rarity of this model. I've never seen another like it.
Wonderful spike. Rare and hard to find nowaday.

What a Joy watching this thread. Scarce and beautiful helmets are being presented. And the last one from Clovis is, apart from being in a lesser condition, really unique!

Another amazing helmet Clovis…aluminum shell with stitched leather visors I have never seen that before!

Me neither, I'm really intrigued I've never even heard mention of this construction method before.

Very Interesting, congratulations Clovis. (y)

Did the seller have any information or History ?

Me neither, I'm really intrigued I've never even heard mention of this construction method before.
Very Interesting, congratulations Clovis. (y)
Did the seller have any information or History ?
No, no information. He hadn't even seen the label.

View attachment 40326View attachment 40327
View attachment 40333

View attachment 40334
View attachment 40328

View attachment 40329

Label Rekruten-Depot 102 is certainly a wartime helmet.
View attachment 40337

In its uncovered state , i didn't hesitate, given the rarity of this model. I've never seen another like it. The Rekruten-Depot set up during mobilization did not exist in peacetime.
This rare and unique ersatzhelm was produceb only by a manufacturer of jewish origin: Hugo Baruch & Cie from Berlin.
If you are interested in the story of his life: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Baruch.

This rare and unique ersatzhelm was produceb only by a manufacturer of jewish origin: Hugo Baruch & Cie from Berlin.

Could you please share your source which details this information and Helmet? I'd be very thankful and also interested in seeing and reading it.

I may already have the book but just can't remember. Also, thanks for the link, I also read that Baruch was very involved in the Theater Thanks (y)

Back