Youtube video -appraisers from Germany

Pontiac9999

I saw this video on Youtube and it's kind of like a German Antiques Roadshow type of show. Its was interesting but hard to watch. The people that bring in the antique Tschapka start man-handling it and they try it on. To me that's careless as it does not take much to mess up a 100+ year old antique. Take a look, it will make you cringe in the first 30 seconds, especially when the old lady forces it on her head....

Herr Kube is like a MG of words.

Yes, I do not know how he catches a breath between sentences.

I would be happy like all of us here would be, if we could purchase this nice enlisted pattern Bavarian tschapka for a mere 1,500 Euros + 150 Euros for the epaulettes. The grand daughter did not want to sell it. Hopefully she will take better care of her grandfather's tschapka, as Herr Kube instructed her to store it in a better temperature climate condition. It was nice to see that they took the parcel string or cord off the top of the helmet. I have witnessed strange things such as this when acquiring helmets from families of WW1 & WW2 US veterans over the years.

I remember the beautiful enlisted pattern 1st Guard Regiment of the Foot helmet that was brought in by a family several years ago. Herr Kube evaluated that fine helmet at a much more realistic price, at 4,500 Euros. The family did not want to sell it. The man thought it might be worth 500 Euros, and he was quite surprised to learn the real value of the helmet.

And the 2-Guard Officer pickelhaubes that a man acquired for free from his neighbor. The neighbor was a relative of the officer who had worn the helmets. One helmet had the hair plume and the other helmet had the spike on it.

Last edited:
I saw this video on Youtube and it's kind of like a German Antiques Roadshow type of show. Its was interesting but hard to watch. The people that bring in the antique Tschapka start man-handling it and they try it on. To me that's careless as it does not take much to mess up a 100+ year old antique. Take a look, it will make you cringe in the first 30 seconds, especially when the old lady forces it on her head....

Well, the first thing to remember is that it is her item. If she wanted to turn it into a planter, wear it for a fancy dress party or just throw it out, she has the right to do so. I've never been one who believes these things are anything more than objects that we own. In the end, we determine the value by what we're willing to pay.

The second thing is that she likely was encouraged by the show's producers to "ham it up" for the camera. It is the shock value with modern TV as the owners often say, "I had no idea of the value." And in some cases, people still don't know the value of these items. That is why there are still stories of old paintings, ancient pottery, etc. showing up at garage sales or resale shops that turn out to be worth a fortune. How much treasure ends up in dumpsters when houses are cleaned out?

Well, the first thing to remember is that it is her item. If she wanted to turn it into a planter, wear it for a fancy dress party or just throw it out, she has the right to do so. I've never been one who believes these things are anything more than objects that we own. In the end, we determine the value by what we're willing to pay.

The second thing is that she likely was encouraged by the show's producers to "ham it up" for the camera. It is the shock value with modern TV as the owners often say, "I had no idea of the value." And in some cases, people still don't know the value of these items. That is why there are still stories of old paintings, ancient pottery, etc. showing up at garage sales or resale shops that turn out to be worth a fortune. How much treasure ends up in dumpsters when houses are cleaned out?
True, it is her item. But at least show some respect for history!

Back