Zollbeamten Adler

Naprawiacz

A heraldic eagle crowned with a royal name from the pickelhaube of a senior customs official.The item comes from a private purchase of a wealthy official.The gilding is done by fire, and the monogram itself is made of platinum.I have seen many emblems in my life, but this one brings me to my knees.The back of it is better made than the front of many copies sold as originals on auction portals.

Attachments

• DSC00347.JPG
    DSC00347.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC00348.JPG
    DSC00348.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC00349.JPG
    DSC00349.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC00350.JPG
    DSC00350.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC00351.JPG
    DSC00351.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC00356.JPG
    DSC00356.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC00357.JPG
    DSC00357.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
May I bother you to get the measurement between the attachment posts?
I have always heard that the attachment posts on these were substantially farther apart than on a "regular" Prussian Wappen, officer and enlisted.

Thanks,
John

Beautiful condition with it‘s frosted gold and polished edges. Thank you for sharing (y)
Thank you Sandmann for your feedback.Today I got up at 5am and just now finished the pickelhaube.I am sending a photo.Warm regards.
Wojtek.

Attachments

• DSC00372.JPG
    DSC00372.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
May I bother you to get the measurement between the attachment posts?
I have always heard that the attachment posts on these were substantially farther apart than on a "regular" Prussian Wappen, officer and enlisted.

Thanks,
John
John I am sending you photos of the measurements in centimetres and inches.Regards
Wojtek

Attachments

• DSC00362.JPG
    DSC00362.JPG
  • DSC00363.JPG
    DSC00363.JPG
  • DSC00364.JPG
    DSC00364.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
A beautiful striking with stunning detail..

That's when Tool and Die makers were consummate professionals. Can't imagine how many hours went into the preparation of the dies for that plate.

Those posts are farther apart than a military Prussian officer's Wappen.
I quickly measured one on an infantry officer's helmet, model 1871, and it looks closer to 75mm or 80mm.
I did not remove the Wappen to measure it, only took a cursory look.
I'll check a couple of other helmets as well.
Thank you for the measurements!

John

// I'll check a couple of other helmets as well. //
Pop over here Marine. No need to take them off helmets.

So Tony, am I about correct in saying that, generally, a standard Prussian military Wappen's post are about 10mm closer together than those on a Beamten Adler?

John

I will vote no, as it completely depends on the manufacturer. Not sure if you mean the Ploice/Customs eagles, but for Prussian Beamte its basically the same Adler as a Line officer minus the Bandeau.

So John I went into the Neu Bunker as I offered and measured the first 10 Prussian officer Wappens I came across in the case. Here are the distances ala callipers to the insides of the posts or prongs. Metal to metal’

68 mm
65 mm
70 mm
63 mm
70 mm
72 mm
73 mm
70 mm
76 mm

Last two are Army Beamte: one silver, one gilt. N my experience, I believe that the manufacturer put the posts on in any particular spot within a certain “template“ as per directives, and then using a company template someone else punched the holes in the shell and bolted them on.

As a result many collectors have the unfortunate occurrence of searching for the missing Wappen to their helmet shell, but finding the Wappen does not at all mean that it will fit the helmet. Its 50/50. Like the recent IR93 Wappen obtained by my friend Brian L. Correct Wappen, correct helmet, no match.

Yes we encounter this on all haube metal fittings, no standardization. The “Probe” examples that we see are supposed to set an example but manufacturers did what was best for them.

Thank you very much for your input. My question centers around a Prussian Dragoon officer helmet that I own. It has one issue that I have been unable to answer but that is for another time. Some have suggested that it was a converted Beamte helmet, but there are no extra holes and there is no way a Beamte Adler with screw posts roughly 80-85mm apart would fit on this helmet with screw posts 62-65mm apart.
I guess it's about time for me to post a thread about the dragoon helmet in question and get everybody's opinion. Look for it soon.

John

Thank you very much for your input. My question centers around a Prussian Dragoon officer helmet that I own. It has one issue that I have been unable to answer but that is for another time. Some have suggested that it was a converted Beamte helmet, but there are no extra holes and there is no way a Beamte Adler with screw posts roughly 80-85mm apart would fit on this helmet with screw posts 62-65mm apart.
I guess it's about time for me to post a thread about the dragoon helmet in question and get everybody's opinion. Look for it soon.

John
Please do John.

Dragoner and Line are two completely different Wappen.

That will send me back in armed with calipers to measure Dragoner Wappen.

Back