It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ones That Got Away Pt. 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some pictures of additional pickelhauben that appeared in a small militaria shop owned by Brian Lawrance in Stayner Ontario back in the 1990's. Our own Tony S. tells me he bought 5-6 good helmets from Lawrance back in the day. Posting these pics has obviously brought back some memories. I mentioned in Pt.1 that Lawrance used to sell at the MAX Show in Baltimore (later Pburgh) for many years. This got me thinking that perhaps, I should head south to the land of Uncle Sam as well and see what hauben might be available. I can't remember the exact year (90's) but after 13 hrs of driving we arrived to attend the spring show. It was there that I met the esteemed William Randal Trawnik for the first time and his side kick Tony Cowan :). So Mohamed had found the mountain at last! Enough reminiscing though, lets take a look at the pictures:

I have no clue what this was, certainly not military, Fire perhaps? The wappen reminds me of ancient Persia or Egypt!
But, it is from Wurttemberg.

Garde Dragoner Regt #2 and an older Grenadier helme.

An amazing Reserve Officer kurassier helme! It was extremely light in weight, and startled me the first time I picked it up. I should have bought it but.... $2.5 K was a lot of money! However, it is one of those helmets that screams quality !!!!

The liner was mint, obviously a deluxe model!!

Anyone have this in their collection? There is no mistaking this helme and it is out there somewhere.

Then a mitre showed up! It could have been a repro, or one of the ones made in the 1930's, I have no idea but here are the pictures:

1st Garde Grenadier OR.

To Be Continued....

Post subject: Re: Ones That Got Away Pt. 2
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:00 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

AUTCH ! #-o That Reserve Officer kurassier helmet is indeed amazing !

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes Ed the liner, the spike, wappen, excellent quality, light weight, top! This would have been a very expensive helme when it was purchased originally. It is probably in N America somewhere in a collection. I was told at the time that the original collector of all the helmets shown was in a business that required many trips to Europe and these were bought while travelling there.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:47 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

b.loree wrote:
Yes Ed the liner, the spike, wappen, excellent quality, light weight, top! This would have been a very expensive helme when it was purchased originally. It is probably in N America somewhere in a collection. I was told at the time that the original collector of all the helmets shown was in a business that required many trips to Europe and these were bought while travelling there.

At that time it was probably easier to go through airport security with a spike helmet. Or perhaps airport security did not even exist.

I agree with Ed, this is a very nice Kurassier helmet. I would be much more reserved about the KR1 helmet. Wrong chinscales, wrong cockades... do you know more about that one?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Bruno, no I have no further information on the K-1 helmet unfortunately. Back in the day I was just beginning and had no real knowledge of Kurassier characteristics.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

911car wrote:
b.loree wrote:

At that time it was probably easier to go through airport security with a spike helmet. Or perhaps airport security did not even exist.

I had a Berlin Politzi Tschako that I had purchased in Berlin of all places :wink: , no problems in the airport at all. What would be the difficulty with a Pickelhaube?

:D Ron

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I agree with you guys about the 1KR... To me, it looks like a modified Swedish shell along with the other things mentioned. On the other hand, I would LOVE To add the other Kuerassier to my collection!

:D Ron