Amoskeag and Julia Auctions

Auction and Show related discussion.
ottodog8
Contributor
Contributor

Amoskeag and Julia Auctions

Post by ottodog8 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

I hope everyone has seen the upcoming Amoskeag and Julia auctions. Julia has the Douglas Buhler collection and Amoskeag has Craig Brown's collection. Some very interesting helmets. Craig was more of a weapons guy as am I, but he had some decent helmets. In both auctions, there are helmets I would have doubts about, but there are also some beauties. Both catalogs are available on line, I would be curious to know what other members think.
Both auctions are within driving distance of me (once I cross the water to the mainland) so I may attend the Julia auction for the weapons.

Steve
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson

Tony without Kaiser
Departed

Re: Amoskeag and Julia Auctions

Post by Tony without Kaiser » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 pm

ottodog8 wrote: In both auctions, there are helmets I would have doubts about,
Hi Steve,

Which ones? I would be curious to hear what you think.
Kaiser: 09 July 1997 - 12 October 2010.
Nina: 23 April 2002 - 31 July 2015.
I miss my little Noodles.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stuka f
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by stuka f » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:30 am

About the WWII helmets I have doubts about nearly all.... :-?
Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
http://virtueel-museum-antwerpen.webnode.be/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
|<ris

ottodog8
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ottodog8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 am

Didn't look too closely at the Julia auctions just noticed some were described as restorations. The Amoskeag auction is more interesting to me because I will be there. Here are some thoughts:

#302 Prussian M1889 Uhlan Officer's Tshcapka.... with a M1915 shell?

#304 Prussian enlisted man's 6th Line Hussars Busby... haven't looked too closely, but the fur looks suspect, an enlisted Model without M91 posts? Could be OYV I suppose.

#628 Prussian Ersatz Infantry Felt Helmet.... with leather edging all around?

#1186 Rare German "Turkish" Visorless Helmet.... from the pics, I don't like the rim.

#1187 German M16 Stalhelm with Disruptive Pattern Camouflage.... bears close study in hand. If this is real, this may interest me.

#1347 German M16 Stalhelm with Prussian First Foot Guard Regiment Marking.... At first I was excited about this one as I am actively looking for one of these. The more I studied the markings the more doubtful I became. Then I read the description, one of the liner pads "showing a very neat black ink stamping "1 Garderegiment/Zu Fuss 1916". Not for me.

#1350 Rare German M18 "Cavalry" Scalloped Side Helmet With Camouflage.... If it's real, a very nice helmet. Looks suspiciously similar in pattern and wear to #1187. Bears closer study.

That's it for now. I haven't studied them too closely because most of them don't interest me, this is just what I noticed from a quick look. Having said that, there are some very nice helmets here. I will pick them up and look at them during the viewing. Two scarce M1915 artillery helmets, and some others I think are very nice. I will look closely at the Garde Reserve Officers helmet with the Busch. I am going more to look at weapons however. If I come home with a helmet or two, it will be a booby prize for me.

Steve
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson

LangeKerl

Post by LangeKerl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:10 am

I looked at both auctions. I really wanted to attend the Amoskeag auction, as there were some things I wanted, and I liked Craig. But, it was a 14- hour trip, and I had just worked the Baltimore MACA Show the weekend before.

I would have liked to have handled some of the pre-1900 firearms. Many of the WWII non-firearms stuff had issues, especially the helmets. The FJ ones were fakes.

I did a bid form, and it looks like I got the one Imperial uniform I really wanted; the Garde Schützen grouping.
Preußens Gloria!

Gruß,
Willi

Peter_Suciu

Post by Peter_Suciu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Amoskeag printed up a massive book for the auction too. They were giving out copies at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show last week. I gave the copy I picked up to a friend. I have to say that the cost to print that book wouldn't be cheap, so they must expect some serious bidders.

ukturkcollector
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ukturkcollector » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 am

[quote="ottodog8"]Didn't look too closely at the Julia auctions just noticed some were described as restorations. The Amoskeag auction is more interesting to me because I will be there. Here are some thoughts:

#1186 Rare German "Turkish" Visorless Helmet.... from the pics, I don't like the rim.

This is not a Turkish helmet. Miss-described item.