Another M15 Wurttemburg enlisted helmet

ww1czechlegion

Here's another Wurttemburg M15 enlisted helmet I found recently.

I have to almost laugh at the number of helmets I've found lately that need at least 1-visor re-stitched on them. Front visor on this one needs a total re-stitch job. Otherwise the helmet is in fairly nice condition.

No visible Depot markings, but it has 2-different penciled names on back visor. And inside there are initials to one of the names on the visor, plus a different set of initials to a 3rd person.

Best Wishes,

Alan

101_2917.JPG101_2918.JPG101_2919.JPG101_2920.JPG101_2921.JPG101_2922.JPG101_2923.JPG

Here's all three of my M15 Wurttemburg helmets.

The one in the center was from Amy. The one on the viewer's left side is my 125th Regiment issued helmet with penciled name of soldier. The one on the viewer's right is the newest addition.

Notice how each of the front plates are a little different from each other.

Best Wishes,

Alan

101_2931.JPG101_2932.JPG101_2933.JPG101_2934.JPG

Very nice helmets.You can see that the helmet has a red stamp indicating that it was repaired and maybe its original designation was changed? I wonder about the inscription 11.W.R - maybe it is the 11th infantry regiment? Congratulations and best regards
Wojtek.

Very nice helmets Alan!
I used to own a Wurttemberg M15, but sold it years ago..
Shouldn't have done that, but thats how things go.
Still looking for one though. So, if anybody know one for sale, let me know.

Excellent helmets Alan, thanks for sharing them with us.

Greetings, Coert.

koch.JPG

To my understanding: k.w. R. 247 III 9 Komp. = königliches. württembergisches Regiment 247 III Bataillon 9 Kompanie
I also think that the helmet could have seen 4 different soldiers . I do not think that "WALTER" has something to do with the name "KOCH". It´s another typography, another name!

I just consulted the Kriegsstammrollen of the 9/247 that are still existing.
There was a Wilhelm WALTER who arrived at the 9/247 on the 7.7.15, so it is perfect to receive a new M15 helmet just at this period as they were introduced. WALTER was killed through a sniper bullet in the head in the first trench line at Neuve-Chapelle on the 18.5.16.

It is totally possible that he wore at this moment only his Krätzchen, as seen on so many period picts in the front lines. His helmet could then have been given to the next new guy coming to the 9/247. So we find a Paul KOCH who made his apparition to this company on the 24.11.16. This guy was permanently ill so he was sent back to the Ersatz-Bataillon RJR247 on the 1.1.17.
Then his helmet has been for sure given to 2 other guys : W. BINDER and the guy with the initials K.L. .
As the M16 was now generally worn in the front lines, it is very possible that this M15 helmet did not saw the front anymore and was only worn by new recruits in the garrison of the Ersatz-Bataillon, or even in some second or third lines units as Landsturm, so it is impossible to track those two last guys...

Philippe
;)

Thanks for showing the 3 together, proves the point that there where many different makers of these helmets, and that they ahd slight differences.

James

Alan, I really like this one. It "speaks" to me. Not one of these anonymous, unworn war bond helmets (although I like helmets in pristine condition, as you know). I was never able to spot a correct M15 Wuertemberg helmet and it is still a model I am looking for, even though I have been collecting for a few months now...
Congratulations!

Alan, nice finds.

Now that you have three, would you like to sell me back my wurttemberg lol? Since I sold one to you, I was never able to replace a m15 wurttemberg

Alan
You have great-looking pieces, and each wappen has a slight variation from the others. I appreciate you showing them together.
Thanks
John

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments!

And a special thanks to Philippe for your excellent work in digging up information on Walter of the 9/247, and your superb insight in to the use of the helmet by other wearers! I appreciate this very much!

Best Wishes,

Alan

I was never able to spot a correct M15 Wuertemberg helmet and it is still a model I am looking for, even though I have been collecting for a few months now...
So do I...
I made the same mistake as Amy, as I owned a very beautiful one but sold it for some time to buy another helmet...How I regret it now...😫

It was this helmet and it was named and trackable....

Philippe
;)

ir125.JPGir125l.JPGir125h.JPGir125b.JPGir125f.JPGir125c.JPG_A260666.JPG

A very rare helmet here in North America at least in my experience. I found one decades ago at the MAX Show and I have kept it ever since. Alan is a dedicated “treasure hunter” and he comes up with some amazing pieces! 👍

I little while back a fellow collector in my are purchased a U.S.soldier's foot locker from the family. In the locker there was a journal and a M'15 Württemberg helmet, among the items. In the journal the soldier had written about his experiences in the army. He wrote that following the armistice his unit occupied a barrack that had belonged to a Württemberg regiment. That they found a store room filled with spiked helmets, that every man in the unit got one to take home.
I still don't have one :(

Super! No wonder I can't find one.. you have them all! ;) Seriously though, very nice. Almost looks like somebody had all of his friends sign the helmet.

I have mentioned this before but will do so again for information sake.....mine has a non removable M15 spike top. In other words, it is a grey steel version of the usual M95 brass. This is the only one I have seen of this type. Perhaps others have seen this?

Back