Buying

colin111008

Hello! I just recently took on this hobby of military collecting. Is there any good websites or stores that anyone recommends for looking for these pickelhauben? Occasionally on eBay i’ve seen a decent one fly through or on IMA but IMA tends to be more expensive. Each site i’ve visited has different prices but average price i’ve seen is 500-900 dollars. Thank you!

Yeah i’ve looked on age of kings but I found one called griffin militaria, military collectibles shop and a few others but I forgot the names, any ideas on those? Like I said i’ve also looked on IMA too but thank you guys very much!

Yeah i’ve looked on age of kings but I found one called griffin militaria, military collectibles shop and a few others but I forgot the names, any ideas on those? Like I said i’ve also looked on IMA too but thank you guys very much!
Age of Kings is great, I have been happy with Griffin too. Scott Kraska at Bay State sometimes has Pickelhauben for reasonable prices. The biggest problem I have had with Bay State is Scott often sells at a very reasonable price so things are gone before I see them, I complained to him that he needed to raise his prices once, but it did not do any good. https://www.baystatemilitaria.com/index.htm
IMA is usually 50% to double the price that you can buy anywhere else. I have bought a few items from that that were high, but they items that were impossible to find and I wanted them for a display I was doing soon.

I do not have good dealing experience with Scott kraska and he told me that he would prefer not to have any business dealings with me after I returned the helmets to him as they were not as his description. He even threatened me when I said I will post the bad experience in forum.

Griffin is good, Age of Kings is great, weitz is good too.

Thank you all very much for the help, i’ll been keeping my eye out and then i’ll pull the trigger when the time is right. I hope to have a pickelhaube in my collection soon.

Colin, you would be wise to post photos here of any helmet you are thinking of buying. Our forum members have saved collectors thousands $$ by vetting bogus helmets put up for sale.

They said the wappen was loose but i actually don’t know how they did this someone tell me please how did they attach the wappens during wwI did they use screws?

There are a few decent ebay listings as of now, a good one sold today for I think around $350 but each one up now has it’s own faults.

Colin, you would be wise to post photos here of any helmet you are thinking of buying. Our forum members have saved collectors thousands $$ by vetting bogus helmets put up for sale.
@ b.loree or anyone i noticed this one on ebay the bidding is somewhat low and the seller has a good rep i advise you ALL to look at his listings they’re amazing

@ b.loree or anyone i noticed this one on ebay the bidding is somewhat low and the seller has a good rep i advise you ALL to look at his listings they’re amazing
Dear Colin 111008,
I wouldn't spend my money on this helmet.
The chin strap is broken and he is missing the cockades.
These are the most common missing parts and very expensive to purchase to complete a helmet.
An original chin strap is very difficult to find.

Better to save up until you can buy a complete helmet than to spend your money on this "wreck".
A complete M15 Pickelhaube is still quite affordable.
Here in Europe around €600, but perhaps in the US it will be cheaper.

All the best, Sander

Dear Colin 111008,
I wouldn't spend my money on this helmet.
The chin strap is broken and he is missing the cockades.
These are the most common missing parts and very expensive to purchase to complete a helmet.
An original chin strap is very difficult to find.

Better to save up until you can buy a complete helmet than to spend your money on this "wreck".
A complete M15 Pickelhaube is still quite affordable.
Here in Europe around €600, but perhaps in the US it will be cheaper.

All the best, Sander
Yeah thank you for informing me. Most M15 pickelhauben I see are always missing or have a reproduction chinstrap. This helmet has one cokade and every now and then I see a repro one on ebay

Colin, your question about how wappen/helmet plates were attached, got lost in the conversation here. Originally both officer and OR (Ordinary Ranks) were held on by soldered screw posts and square brass nuts. Eventually in the 1890’s (?) the OR plates were switched to soldered brass loops. These loops passed through grommeted holes in the shell and were held in place by leather wedges. The private purchase officer helmets retained their posts and nuts until mid war when we find soldered prongs on both wappen and officer stars. The M15 helmets had steel loops and grommets with leather wedges. Sometimes, we find the old style screw post wappen on newer M95 helmets which normally should have had loops. The Germans never threw out anything that could be used for some future use.

Back