Chinscales restoration

Wojtek, I'm glad I could help. To disassemble the original chinscales; I used Brian's technique of placing them in a baggy with a slightly watered down sponge. Over an 18 hour period, I slowly removed the other layer of the very thin and fragile leather covering on the back of the chinscales to access the areas that require repair. Unfortunately, some of the outer covering leather ripped, but what can you expect for something put other 100+ years ago and worn in the field before coming into a collectors' hands.
Best regards,
John
PS I will tell Kathie you said hello.

The original Chinscales are on top, repro on bottom:
Chinscale repair for Pickelhaube original top repro bottom.jpg

I see John,that everyone in the world is arriving at similar techniques.I soak the item in lukewarm water and after a few seconds dislodge or straighten the leather.To repair Chinscales I used dug out leather from German WWII boots.Regards Wojtek.

Attachments

• 101736723_l.jpg
    101736723_l.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 101736523_l.jpg
    101736523_l.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 93825323_l.jpg
    93825323_l.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 221
Very interesting how we collectors use different methods to achieve the same goal. I know that older chin scales used leather as a backing strip to which the brass scales were stapled. The older scales were thicker and heavier as a result. For me, I am rebuilding the chin scales of the 1890's and onward...they used a stiff fiber staple strip, not like "box cardboard" but similar to the handles of beer can cases, and that it what I use :D It works for me...with a "French Shrug". I do not know how to translate that... :???: Too much French in my Canadian education?? :D Not at all!! The late period chin scales I deal with, are originally backed with black oil cloth?? I have no source for that so I use vintage kid leather from women's long opera style gloves. I have no access to rotting WW1 German boots! C'est dommage! :(

From my observation it seems that leather as a load-bearing strap to attach the shells was used in helmets for lower ranks, and for officers it was made as you wrote of a rigid fiber belt......I think that each manufactory had its own unique style of production.Like you I use goatskin, but only for officers' belts. A good material is also a well-tanned deerskin.It is best when the animal comes from a warm climate then the leather is thinner.I imported mine from Turkey.You are right,for belts of officers helmets were used also a thin linen fabric soaked probably in shellac.Regards Wojtek

Hi Wojtek and Brian,
Thank you both for sharing your individual techniques of repairing and restoring pickelhauben. :) It is interesting how each of you looks at what is quickly available and improvise ways to rebuild chinscales. :-k This is all great stuff. :thumb up:
Best regards,
John

John it's all for the love of repairing objects.It's a passion that draws you in and gives no respite.Regards.

Back