Filz

Yes indeed I do remember that one… With a little bit of envy I must say because of the unit marking! But I can find no quick reference to this kind of helmet in the papers that I have from the Bavarian archives. Thank you for posting this example.

joerookery said:
I guess your last paragraph reinforces the thought that these were poor quality.
Hi Joe:

That was pure speculation on my part. It was intended merely to indicate the potential for bureaucratic finger-pointing. The six issued Filzhelme in my collection have survived exceedingly well. The worst of the lot is a Baden helmet, which really betrays its cheap construction. If you like, I'll photograph it and post the pictures here. I sincerely believe, beyond all other considerations, these had to be cheap.

Given what has been discussed thus far, I believe this helmet of Tony's to be Wollfilz. The edge is rolled and stitched, and the overall appearance is much softer than felt helmets with cut edges:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh23.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ergo, this would be Haarfilz:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh08.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I had a beater to sacrifice, I would stick in the rain, without hesitation, just to see what happens.

Just for fun, this photo shows the U.S. M-1911 in various stages of production at the Stetson factory in Philadelphia:

stetson-factory.jpg

Here are 2 different types of filz. Now only someone could tell me which unit it was… He wrote it out but I cannot read it.
Rare shot of a Maschinegewehr Abteilung with MG 08 and the distinctive M1910 uniforms of MGA and two different types of ersatz felt shakos (black and feldgrau). Full Feldpost letter from Spandau (MG school) dated 12 Dec 1915. The M10 uniforms are gray green and red piped the M1901 uniforms are gray green with red fold over collars. Each man wears the distinctive small single pouch MGA ammo pouch.

ps1583 by joerookery, on Flickr

ps1583a by joerookery, on Flickr

Great picture! Looks like E.M.G.A. 9 Spandau to me, and then in the address line 4th company of Inf Reg. 29, Ersatz Batl. Trier.

felt_mixed_1.jpg

felt_mixed_2.jpg

I think you are right about the unit. Do you realize that in your picture–the last one–on the bottom row there are 4 different helmets out of 4! :thumb up:

Back