Garde du Korps

I don't see the difference. I'm not trying to be difficult it's just that I do not see but we are looking at. I would love to compare but I don't know what to compare. Help me Mr. Wizard.

ps1662 by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

Please excuse my english is very bad . I can not well explain.

Scratch one an original eagle with a steel needle , so there may never come to light yellow metal. It must never be yellow metal visible.....never never never !!! it´s an galvanic - copy.

An original officer eagle costs about 10.000 , - Euro !

Do not you think that Weitze does not know ? ! ?

Gunnar, I understand your posts ....no problem, so do not worry about your English. As to the discussion, I can not conrtibute because I have only handled one of these....Tony Schnurr's.

Thanks Dragoner
i know what you are saying and on mine the helmet is good but the eagle is a copy. I am devastated the helmet cost me fortune, i just looked at a guarde du corps helmet i thought about purchasing from Sergio an earlier model so i did not go for it and it has the same eagle i only hope the man i purchased it from in the USA refunds my money . how much do you think the helmet is worth without the eagle and would i be able to purchase an officers eagle ?, i do need help on this.
Thanks
Tony

Tony please send me pictures of the eagle .

[email protected]

Your eagle is a NCO (Mannschaftsstück) on the officer-basis. That´s ok.....has given it !

But I can not say to 100% that of the eagle original or a copy . I need more pictures.
But if the bill is round , which is a bad sign.

Send me pic´s.

Sergio Semino is a german dealer. He has good and bad pieces.

Can you send pictures from the back of the emblem ?

Here are more pictures of an unusual helmet . But it is 100% authentic !

The helmet body is magnetic ! No tombak ! It´s iron. It is a very late piece.

Look at the eagle. NCO eagle (Mannschaftsadler) with gold crown. But the Helmet body is an officer. It´s ok !

Gruß Dragoner08

Hi dragoner
I am unable to post pictures but i will have a good look tomorrow. looking at the helmet i do think it is original. it is at my friends at the moment but can have a good look then. The man who sold me the helmet is an honest man and i feel i should at least state that he had no idea the eagle was wrong. what i need to know is how much is the helmet worth without the eagle, hope you can help me on that.
many thanks
Tony

I have been carefully reading the trail of responses related to the Guard du Corps officer helmet with eagle top herein posted. As a Pickelhaube Collector since 1962, I still consider myself a novice. Paul Pietsch, a great collector, researcher, scholar and author of the Lexicon Books on the Imperial German Army wrote in 1964, " even after spending a lifetime studying Imperial German military items I still did not know everything. No one does." He also wrote and that he still considered himself a "Putterer" in this field. Before I composed this reply I spoke with a number of other old guys like myself. We were all like minded in issuing the following statement.

My personal experience and research tell me that no one can make a perfect analysis of a piece of headgear by photos alone.

I have had the opportunity to hold and examine over 50 Guard du Corps helmets that were both from Officers and OR. I have owned a number of them too. In my collecting career I have had the opportunity to go to the back rooms of the WGM in Rastatt and the private Cavalry Collection in Vornholz. The variety of helmets, types, models, constructions and design are truly amazing. Please note that there were many makers and models of Garde du Corps Adler "Aufsatz" or eagle tops during its time from the early 1840's to 1918. Truth be known, the Juncker Company in Berlin were still selling Imperial GDC helmets into the 1930's.

Time and space does not allow me to describe everything that should be considered when examining a helmet. Before anything else is explored, the eagle should be weighed. It should be light weight construction as it was worn above the helmet body. The average weight of the Eagle without base nut should be between 450 and 500 grams. To our knowledge eagles were constructed from a number of metals that include:
Real Silver
German Silver
Silvered Brass (versilbert)
English Pewter (versilbert)
I personally have not seen an original Copper metal eagle (my opinion). This would probably be too soft and to heavy to wear.

I have seen "enlisted" quality eagle tops used on officer helmets. Many officers rose through the One Year Volunteer ranks. They upgraded the helmets as their rank and money permitted. I have in my collection such a helmet along with photographs of the soldier as a One Year Enlisted Man and later photos in full officer regalia. The helmet was the same. It went through upgrades with added stepped visor, Cloverleaf Rosettes, Officer cockades and officer eagle base.

At the most recent SOS in Louisville I was shown a Hessen 115 LGIR officer helmet that appeared to be a "parts" helmet. The helmet had extra holes behind the front plate, an EM style front plate, the impression of a round base that preceded the Hessen cross base, and many other inconsistencies. I opined that it was not a genuine piece. BOY WAS I WRONG. The dealer then produced a large box of documents and photographs of the owner of the helmet. The soldier was in a Prussian Aviation unit in 1912 then transferred to the 115th in 1914. He used the same helmet and altered it to meet the requirements of his new unit. One could plainly see in a 1915 photo of the soldier that he is wearing the obviously ALTERED helmet. The helmet was historical and 100% original.

Reproductions and altered helmets are the curse of every hobby. It is so with our hobby too. We should all be very careful in our proclamations. Remember, as Paul Pietsch said, none of us know it all.

All the statements presented in this FORUM are opinions only.

What he said! :bravo: : Below is the article link
pg21_1.jpg

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/UpgadeKurr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pg20dienst.jpg

It is true , they are all just opinions . But the opinions are based on years of experience .
to identify a eagle just about the weight , unfortunately, does not work . My Copy weighs 574 grams .

It is absolutely true that there were different eagle models. But never brass or copper. Zinc, silver and nickel silver are known . The Eagle consisted of 16 parts .

An eagle of 1843 is not comparable with an eagle of 1910th.

There were many differences.

Gruß Dragoner08

I am sorry. You must of misread my post. The weight of an eagle is only an initial part of the examination. An original eagle must be lightweight at under 500 grams. An eagle weighing 524 grams is too heavy and thus a COPY as you indicated.

Thank you Randy. Very helpful, and likely to save me from a costly mistake at some point in the future!

P.S. I own and love your book.

Back