Gas Warfare

This picture shows the difference in size between the early Gummimaske can on the left, and the larger GM 17 Lederschutzmaske can on the right.
100_2034-copy.jpg

The GM 17 can's carrier straps are made of Ersatz woven paper (papercloth), which is typically seen on these cans.
100_1986-copy.jpg

The can is dated July 27 1918
100_1997-copy.jpg

The filter on the mask is dated 14 September 1918 (no pictures yet)
100_1992-copy.jpg

This can has one interesting feature. The lid is made from a recycled M15 carrier can model. In this picture you can see traces of where the wire cage was once attached. On the left is a lid from a M15 can for comparison showing the wire cage feature.
100_2009-copy.jpg

The M17 clasp fastener was attached overtop of the earlier model opener (lip), which was cut down a bit in length.
100_2013-copy.jpg

The top of the lid shows how it was reworked to extend room for the spare lens compartment, and also the impression of the wire cage attachment showing through.
100_1990-copy.jpg

Hey Hans,
You seem to have an above average knowledge of Gas Masken, can you ID the can on the left?
can0010wc.jpg

Gus

The can on the right is the one that my Austrian mask came in. As far as I can tell, it is the same as the German can. I will try to get some photos of my masks to post.
Gus

As one who missed some of the mask's at the show's . Nice article. I will post pic's of the mask's and can's I have . I have a Gummi can that has the latch system and is not the same as the legder maske can, as it is much taller. The very earliest mask system's were no different than the Brittish or French a Canvas eye piece and a Chemeical soaked Bandage type face piece. I have a pic of this system and will post it .
Here is an early message center on the front lines. look like early GummiMaske

Pigeongashouse.jpg

Mark

Hey Hans and All,
Here is my small selection of German masks.
guys026nr6.jpg

guys027iz5.jpg

My M1915 Gummi Mask and can, showin the filter markings, showing that it is a II-C-II filter made 4. Juli 1918, and the instructions are the later style for the Rahmenmaske, and this one has the later steel springs.
guys028fg0.jpg

guys029mi6.jpg

My Austrian Gummi Maske, it is the same style as the German model, The filter is dated 18. April 1918, The markings on the mask by the eye piece are KuK Geprüft with the double headed eagle and it is dated 21. Dez. 1917
guys030bi5.jpg

guys031mn3.jpg

This is my lederschutzmaske, the filter is dated 18 Jan 1918 and has the dust filter attached, the "spare lenses" are shown next to the filter, they are coated with a gellatin layer to absorb moisture to keep the wearer's vision clear, they woule absorb enough moisture to allow the mask to be worn for several hours with out loss of vision.
guys032we0.jpg

This shot shows the straps of both Gummi Masken, they are both the later style with steel springs.
I appologize for the size of the images, my internet service sill is handled for the last 12 miles by pony express, and I am limited in the size of image I can up load. later I will try to post photos of the British small box resperators, and the US SBR, as well as the French ARS17 and Belgian ARS18.
Best wishes
Gsu

I'm still drooling over the Austrian mask. Have to collect my thoughts. Its interesting to see clear evidence of two Rahmenmasken used this late in the war, especially with the Austrian mask dated to Dec. 1917. I think many people believe that these masks were completely replaced by the leather masks by the end of 1917. The instruction disc you show is identical to the one in my Rahmenmaske can. Is the Austrian one the same?

Here is a picture from my father's family photo collection of three Austrian Sturmtruppen in light assault order including their GM 17 Lederschutzmasken at the ready.

The soldier on the left armed with the Steyr-Hahn pistol is my Grandfather, Zugsfuehrer Valentin Kroess of the Sturmkompanie, 2. Tiroler Kaiserjaeger Regiment. By the time this picture was taken, my Grandfather was part of the 2. Kompanie, Kaiserjaeger Sturmbataillon. He entered the war in 1914, fighting in Galizien. When the Italians invaded, his Regiment was among the first ones rushed to the southern border. I'm still researching his career. Valentin died many years before I was born, so the only information I have regarding the war is from my father's recollections as well as from other relatives who knew him. He fought until the very end of the war, and was never seriously wounded.
100_2161_edited.jpg

100_2269_edited.jpg

A hopefully clearer shot showing equipment details. The soldier on the right is wearing a German M16 helmet, while Valentin and the soldier in the center wear Austrian models.
100_2159_edited.jpg

A close-up of my Grandfather in an earlier picture wearing his cap.
100_2309-copy-1.jpg

One more picture with Valentin standing back row, 2nd from left.
Retablierung.jpg

Hey Hans,
That is some great history, the Austrina side of the war has been largely neglected. My interest in Austia started with the first pistol I bought at the age of 14
amberruby054oi0.jpg

As I was visiting a friend in OberÖstereich, I helped her father clean the atic, and was able to acquire a nice early was tunic of his Father-in-law from the KK Reit Kaiserschützen along with his Kappe and many letters and cards, Austrian uniforms are not that hard to find, but the personal history is nearly impossible to find. He was going to throw it all away as the tunic had a bit of moth damage, I had to use every bit of my German to talk him out of throwing it all away.
holzner6lw.jpg

By the way, the instruction cark in the Austrian can is identical to the one in the German can.
Best wishes
Gus

Wonderful pistol and uniform Gustav. What a find; glad you were able to rescue the tunic and other effects. KuK items are no longer underappreciated, especially in Europe. The prices of helmets, tunics and most other wartime items are soaring, showing that the number of serious collectors is growing. The stuff is very hard to find in Canada, and seems to be much more scarce than German items even in Europe.

Guys, this is turning out to be one of the better threads we've seen for a while, thanks so much for sharing!

Regarding gasmasks, a while back, I read there was a Regulation regarding soldiers having to shave off their beards to provide a better seal on their gasmasks, does anyone know what the regulation is and what date it was issued?

Thanks again!

Geo

Hey George, I can not help on the regulations, but the Italians and Austrians issued petrolium jelly to use to seal between the mask and face with beards.
Gus

I also remember reading about soldiers ordered to trim their beards to no more than a goatee, although pictures of soldiers with full beards mid to late war still crop up.

Well boys, I have both my gas masks up for sale right now on ebay. Hans be sure to check out the Gummi, it has the same markings as your filter except the date is 21 Nov 1916. Brian

No you don't Brian, I checked, unless you do not ship to Australia (don't ask)
Gus

OK, I finally found them, but they still do not show up on your list. By the way, I think you reserve is a bit low, not to worry, I just raised the reserve on both of them, now I will have to sell blood and another kedney.
Best wishes
Sug

Back