Hessen Leib Helmet and others

Thank you Jeff and thank you Steve. They are magnificent. You can see the small differences between the Einjährig-Freiwilliger, mine and Steve's have the openwork crown, (like the officers), but not on Jeff's crown. My Schell is close to troop regulation, whereas Jeff's and Steve's are Extra-Schells close to officer finish. And Steve's "skewer" shows clearly the treatment of the trimmings, sometimes "Berlin white", sometimes silver. The same goes for the fittings, sometimes natural nickel silver, sometimes silver-plated, sometimes nickel-plated.

What would you say to this example
View attachment 39798

Superb LIR115 officer's helmet. Note that for once, all the metal fittings are evenly nickel-plated.
Officer's stars were affixed in 1897 for the 115 (the officers of the other regiments kept the round-headed screws, except for the FAR25, whose officer's helmets were
given stars in 1915).

The Landwehrkreuz also has a motto specific to Hesse: Gott-Ehre-Vaterland, as in the star of the Order of Louis.

Last edited:
I don't have an officer of the 115reg, here's the em versionView attachment 39782
Amy, ✌️ you don't have a double.

Here you show us the two latest versions of the "troop" helmet.
The one on the right is called "LIR115"model 1897, the one on the Left is called "RBA18", it is in fact the 1915 model of the Leib-Infanterie-Régiment 115 Hessians.

The first is normally marked 115 on the inside, while the second is marked RBA XVIII.
The two helmets differ significantly in terms of detail. I'm going to take a closer look.

On the RBA XVIII of 1915:
---The "Teller" is made of tinplate painted black.
Hesse 115 LIR RBA18 ferblanc.jpg

---The bottom of the tip (where the 5 ventilation holes are) is narrower, and brass ring for screwing on the tip. The screw is full.
RBA18 LIR corps plus fin.JPGHes.RBA 18 bague laiton.jpg
The pre-war LIR115 M97 does not have it, and the screw is hollow.
Hes.115 du 115° car vis creuse.jpg
---The front plate is charcoal grey and many details are different:
The lion does not have a fang in its mouth and its body has a brick effect, forming a collar and a striped wristband. The left paw seems to be pushing the foliage away, the toes are stiff and horizontal.115 RBA EB18-.PNG
Hesse RBA # 115.GIF

Conversely, on the 115 of 1897, The lion is showing its fangs, the horizontal lines are almost invisible, and the lower paw is resting on the foliage, with the fingers curved downwards.
Hesse RBA18 # 115LIR.GIF

Summary of the differences mentioned above:
115 LIR Schwarz.jpg

A few more differences:
The rays of the order star are more rounded on the RBA.
The gap between the 2 tails is tighter on the RBA.

Last edited:
Here you show us the two latest versions of the "troop" helmet. The one on the left is called "115" model 1897, the one on the right is called "RBA", it is in fact the 1915 model of the Leib-Infanterie-Régiment Hessois 115.
The first is normally marked 115 on the inside, while the second is marked RBA XVIII.
The two helmets differ significantly in terms of detail. I'm going to take a closer look.

I was unaware of these facts for the enlisted helmets. Great information being offered here.

The one on the left looks like the spitze is made of Damascus steel, I've never seen anything like that :unsure:

I notice some wappen have horizontal lines across the lion. Why is that?

I notice some wappen have horizontal lines across the lion. Why is that?
If you mean the bars on the lion, it is to represent the white/red colors of the Hessian arms (below). The vertical scoring in the alternating lines represents the color red in engraving practice. But there is a wide variety of quality and detail in how the wappen are executed, as this excellent thread shows!

Hesse.JPG

Back