Hobby Room (photos added 12/16)

Thanks!

Here are two more photos I found. I didn't know exactly how long to make the horse-hair on the Chaussier helmet, so used the entire length, figuring I could cut it later.
I also found a photo of my GdK officer on the day after I purchased it.

JN10148.jpg

JN10149.jpg

:D Ron

Great job...
Poor horse....

My Belgian Mod 1843 Cuirassier helmet has a very thight braid of horsehair in the brass comb, fixed on a sturdy piece of leatherThe tail hanging loosly down. This thick, strong braid gave extra protection against sabrestrokes. total length of this part= 60 cm.

Don't know about the French helmets !

Rgds,

Francis

Thanks Francis,

I saw a lot of similar helmets in the museum in Brussels. Very cool indeed. I remember once seeing a Chaussier helmet with a piece of metal (brass) shaped like the braid between the rows of horse hair once, but my helmet didn't have that part on it...being cut in half.

joerookery said:
Also the M 15 that was awarded! That is precious! If you ever decide to part with that one let me know. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

I'm sorry Joe, I forgot to answer your request here. You have first refusal should I ever decide to sell it.

Mmmm :D Brussels Army Museum...Good idea....
I'll have to talk to the wife....next week perhaps...

Regards,

Francis

Khukri said:
Mmmm :D Brussels Army Museum...Good idea....
I'll have to talk to the wife....next week perhaps...

Regards,

Francis

And... the price is right!

My wife and I had never been to Brussels before, we loved it... of course, we did 'tourist' things.

Impressive display! Congratulations.

Here are some of the French Chaussier (spelling?)

Did you mean "Cuirassier"? I thought you might be referring to "Delachaussee", one of the makers of these French helmets...

Hello Ron,

Congratulations with your collection and the way of displaying it.

Your French helmet is a M1872/1874 Dragon helmet. A Cuirassier helmet is identical, but has a "houpette" (a shaving brush-like ornament) on the "cimier" or comb.
Johan

911car said:
Impressive display! Congratulations.

Here are some of the French Chaussier (spelling?)

Did you mean "Cuirassier"? I thought you might be referring to "Delachaussee", one of the makers of these French helmets...

Probably.... I'm a lousy speller in English... much less French! LOL!

Thanks!

Ron

3littleweasels said:
Fabulous,fabulous hobby room-even has some dreaded Nazi items-King Weasel

Thanks!

Yes, the transitional helmet was a gift from a friend, brought home by his father from N. Africa in WWII. The other was an ebay purchase. The fellow was told by an 'expert' that German decals couldn't be felt with the finger. He called it the 'finger test' and both my transitional and Luftschutz helmets (that I KNOW are original) failed it too. Oh well... it was a good auction from my point of view.

09fritz2547 said:
Hello Ron,

Congratulations with your collection and the way of displaying it.

Your French helmet is a M1872/1874 Dragon helmet. A Cuirassier helmet is identical, but has a "houpette" (a shaving brush-like ornament) on the "cimier" or comb.
Johan

Thanks! ... and thanks much for the info. There is a threaded mount for the houpette, but having been cut in half, it wouldn't fit in there; since its mount is shaped like a rugby ball.
By the way, I've written down the proper spellings and terms, so I can get a grip on them. I'll probably always misspell 'Cuirassier'... having learned it as 'Chaussier' many years ago. :)

Excellent collection Ron, some really fantastic pieces. Congratulations. Gotta love this hobby!!

edwin said:
Great collection! How many years did this take?

I wanted my first helmet when I was in 3rd grade, a beautiful OR 6th Kurassier for $50... way too much for a 3rd grader!
In reality, I started collecting Pickelhaube when I was 19, so 34 years. I guess I've averaged a new helmet (Pickelhaube, not steel, tanker or other) every nine months.

Awesome collection Ron! Love that GDK Kurassier; what model is it again?
But what's left in that hobby room for your other half (space-wise) and what does she collect exactly? :D

RON said:
Awesome collection Ron! Love that GDK Kurassier; what model is it again?
But what's left in that hobby room for your other half (space-wise) and what does she collect exactly? :D

Model 1898 officer, as far as I can tell. When I bought this in the '80's, I talked the guy down a few hundred (I think $500??) because I believe it to be a parts helmet. The star is missing the 'trim rings' around the enamel and eagle, but the rest seems okay. Either way, it dresses up the collection a bit and last fall we had a friend visit who's grandfather was in the GdK (no helmet left in the family or anything thanks to the 1920's depression in Germany and post WWII starvation). This was the first one she'd seen and it was nice to think of that connection for her.

Back