Hobby Room (photos added 12/16)

Wow! Impressive collection Ron and I like the custom cases. Something for me to aspire to...if my other half would go along with it!

HerrJak said:
Wow! Impressive collection Ron and I like the custom cases. Something for me to aspire to...if my other half would go along with it!

Thanks! The custom cases aren't very expensive if you make them yourself. You notice that for cost reasons, I went with semi-permanent (removable) tempered glass for the fronts rather than sliding plate glass. The latter would have been much easier to use, but $$$$$ more! If you check around with store owners in your community, it's possible to find good glass shelving and maniquins (I don't know how to SPELL 'maniquin'... oh well), for little or no cost. Often, they just want to clear up some storage space and are glad to give things away, or sell them at a nominal price.

:D Ron

Hey Ron,
No one knows how to spell manequine, it changes on my spell checker regularly. The other option to a commercial maniguene is to make your own. The best part of making your won, is that it can be made to fit the uniform, as most modern manaquennes are way too big to fit most early uniforms. The most important thing in constructing a home made maniquine is to make sure that there are no stress points on the uniform, and that it is isolated from any harmful components (I use pine for the frame on mine.
Your display cases are exceptional, unfortunately, I lack the room for such well designed display cases.
I think I will have to gas up the truck, the best thing is there are no boarder crossings to slow me down:)
Best
Gsu

Hey Gus, I think the only correct way to spell it is "mannequin"... Just like the French told us to several centuries ago... :-"
It's true that all modern mannequins are to large for all imperial or WW1 uniforms. I have (only) two mannequins of the 1920's or 30's and they fit very well. The only problem nowadays is just to find them...

Adler

Hey Adler, mannequin can not be the correct spelling, because it is not underlined in red by my spell checker.
Best
Gus

I found that if you can find a teen size mannequin, that those will fit the WW1 era uniforms pretty well....of course your display will then look like a bunch of "Ken" dolls in uniform

Keith

Hi,

cannot help it when it comes to etymology :? . Here is what wikipedia says (and it confirms what I heard years ago) :

Mannequin comes from the French word mannequin, which had acquired the meaning "an artist's jointed model", which in turn came from the Middle Dutch word mannekijn, meaning "little man, figurine".[3]

For our French speaking members, the same Dutch origin is applicable to "bouquin" (little book) ....

Best regards,

Very nice indeed

could someone tell me what is the bavarian german silver pickelhaube, second in the bottom row, strarting from right? A bavarian police helmet?

bests

Laurent

majkejevrosime said:
Very nice indeed

could someone tell me what is the bavarian german silver pickelhaube, second in the bottom row, strarting from right? A bavarian police helmet?

bests

Laurent

That is an assembled helmet that my wife bought for me while I was over in Iraq. It defies description, but I like it because she got it for me. I would imagine a best guess would be police or whatnot, but I think it was made up of parts. Next to it though is a very nice Bavarian M15. :)

Thanks Rob! It was really the layout of the room that dictated how the displays were arranged. The open format of a double sided case kept a fairly small room from feeling even smaller... but it's the best display I've had for them since I started collecting. :)

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txfrio/pearsall_cem_g-k.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=hudson&GSfn=aubrey&GSiman=1&GScid=5923&GRid=103924676&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2013/20/103924676_135880806487.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. Hudson--if this is the right one--was a captain in WWI; he was in the Texas Division.

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/gallery/ww1/cope.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back