Imperial Prussian 1st Garde Regiment zu Fuß EM Pickelhaube 'Semper Talis'

I just looked at the helmet listed by Griffin again
I noticed the pin back for the S T Banner is much larger and it appears to be a brass color ?
Steve

Reactions: USN
A little bit more on the subject.
It had been some years since I picked up my
1 Garde Regt zu Fuss e m helmet with Semper Talis banner
so I just checked it to see how the banner is attached
and as I suspected, the banner has a threaded screw post and is held in place by a nut
that is not to say that all of them were done that way
because in fact ,mine is the only example that I have held in my hands
photo of the inside to show the screw post and nut 1 G R z F S T banner.JPG1 G R z F S T Banner back.JPG
mine has an earlier liner
It came from a very old collection in Chicago
and I chased it for years
I ended up trading a Bavarian Generals helmet and I got $ 500 in cash difference
No regrets !
next I took a couple of photos of my lose Semper Talis banner
It is totally different , much thinner and a prong on each end
Maybe an officer ?
again the only lose one in hand for me to check
I have never removed the two from my helmets
Steve1 G R z F e M S T.JPG

This helmet is entirely composite, i.e. reassembled with various trims. The tip rivets are not identical, and the rear spine is too long, so the tip base is not flush with the shell at the rear. The trace of the eagle wing in front shows that the "Semper Talis" banner has been added, the chinstrap and Landcokade are copies, the rear spine return nut under the neck cover is modern, etc...
The Semper Talis banner is available as a copy. The absence of markings is a redhibitory factor for 1GzF.
When it comes to buying all these prestigious helmets, you absolutely must have a thorough understanding of the subject, and have the helmet in your hand. For the "Semper Talis" banner, access to the lapel is imperative. For the troop model, no front rivet, the screw is welded to the headband, and 2 staples at the end of the band, to cover the wingtip.

Garde 1GRzF IB fixband0K..jpgGarde 1GRzF IB Sempertalis,.jpgGarde 1GRzF IB Sempre Talis.jpg

Here, the headband is capped by the top of the wing, whereas it should be the other way round, with the eagle plated to the leather and the bottom of the banner acollerated to the top of the wing.
Garde 1GzF nogood.GIF
I'm delighted to be able to contribute my old-fashioned expertise here, based on fieldwork.
We often see helmets from the 2nd and 3rd battalions, with the Semper Talis reproduction banner added, but here it's worse.
To detect gavanoplasty, or counterfeiting, it is essential to access the back of the plate. A difference in patina is not a cause for concern, as different treatments (pure nickel silver, Berlink white, silver plating, etc.) may react differently over time.

Last edited:
This helmet is entirely composite, i.e. reassembled with various trims. The tip rivets are not identical, and the rear spine is too long, so the tip base is not flush with the shell at the rear. The trace of the eagle wing in front shows that the "Semper Talis" banner has been added, the chinstrap and Landcokade are copies, the rear spine return nut under the neck cover is modern, etc...
The Semper Talis banner is available as a copy. The absence of markings is a redhibitory factor for 1GzF.
When it comes to buying all these prestigious helmets, you absolutely must have a thorough understanding of the subject, and have the helmet in your hand. For the "Semper Talis" banner, access to the lapel is imperative. For the troop model, no front rivet, the screw is welded to the headband, and 2 staples at the end of the band, to cover the wingtip.

View attachment 42772View attachment 42773View attachment 42774

Here, the headband is capped by the top of the wing, whereas it should be the other way round, with the eagle plated to the leather and the bottom of the banner acollerated to the top of the wing.
View attachment 42775
I'm delighted to be able to contribute my old-fashioned expertise here, based on fieldwork.
We often see helmets from the 2nd and 3rd battalions, with the Semper Talis reproduction banner added, but here it's worse.
To detect gavanoplasty, or counterfeiting, it is essential to access the back of the plate. A difference in patina is not a cause for concern, as different treatments (pure nickel silver, Berlink white, silver plating, etc.) may react differently over time.
Excellent explanation and guide. Very helpful.
All the best
Michael

1709208270271.png
This device eliminates the need to drill 4 holes in the front of the hull (2 for the banner, 2 for the plate), as was the case with the 115 Infanterie-Leib-Hessian.
In this case, a helmet can be converted from 1B. to 2 or 3B. simply by removing the banner. This question only arose in the 1GzF, as the other regiments with separate banners wore them regardless of battalion.

View attachment 42772View attachment 42773View attachment 42774

View attachment 42775
That is a great example
But I don't think that we can that every "correct " helmet
was done exactly that way
How many have been looked at to say that they are all the same way ?
Steve

That is a great example
But I don't think that we can that every "correct " helmet
was done exactly that way
How many have been looked at to say that they are all the same way ?
Steve
The few I've seen that were genuine all had this type of plate hook without perforating the leather shell. My friend Roger, who has access to major collections worldwide, told me this was imperative. ( in the case of Kammer entlisten men ). Given the very small numbers produced (1 Battalion), I'm thinking of a uniform system (for the Kammer). Joker for the officers and Extra-Helm for a one-year contract.

Last edited:
The few I've seen that were genuine all had this type of plate hook without perforating the leather shell. My friend Roger, who has access to major collections worldwide, told me this was imperative. ( in the case of Kammer entlisten men ).
Thanks
I have not had mine off since I got the helmet in the early 1970's
so I can't say , but I feel my helmet is correct.
Thanks for the post and the information
Steve

Here's a complete reproduction of a 1GzF 1B 0fficer from Spikehelmets. Obviously, the "tile" effect of the overlapping trim is not correct. It's also clear that the headband covers the front star. GzF1 no good-.GIF

GzF1 no good.GIFObserve the optical quality of this reproduction. The only way to formally identify a copy is to access the back of the trim.

Yes, Steve, yours shows an Extra-Helm Eigentum liner, "alter Art", for one-year commitment. The rear spine has no air vent, and shows a rivet instead of a nut, to hold the return under neck cover. It's an M91. So, when this helmet was built and delivered, the entire regiment didn't yet have a Semper Talis banner, dating back to 1899. As it was a private purchase (unmarked by Kammer), the anchoring system was freer.
In fact, it's easy to see that the folding-leg rivet, the imprint of which can still be seen, was in place before the banner's central fixing nut. This nut inspires me, and doesn't look like a modern reproduction.

Last edited:
Yes, Steve, yours shows an Extra-Helm Eigentum liner, "alter Art", for one-year commitment. The rear spine has no air vent, and shows a rivet instead of a nut, to hold the return under neck cover. It's an M91. So, when this helmet was built and delivered, the entire regiment didn't yet have a Semper Talis banner, dating back to 1899. As it was a private purchase (unmarked by Kammer), the anchoring system was freer.
In fact, it's easy to see that the folding-leg rivet, the imprint of which can still be seen, was in place before the banner's central fixing nut. This nut inspires me, and doesn't look like a modern reproduction.
Thanks for the comment and information
Best wishes
Steve

I fully agree with that comment (y) Maybe also worn by a "Kapitulant", a soldier who served voluntarily for a longer period of time.

Philippe

Last edited:
Back