I've Never Seen This Before

SkipperJohn

Has anybody ever seen the inside of a helmet that looked as new, or repro, as this one?:

The helmet looks old, the fittings seem proper (except it should have screw posts for the chinscales instead of rosettes), the crazing is typical for a helmet that has not been cared for, but the inside is light tan and seems untouched. The photo is poor so it almost looks like the helmet was made wrong side out, if you know what I mean.
The helmet is waaaaaaay overpriced, so I'm not at all interested. I just always look at the older ones.

John

John I have the impression that the middle was painted with some kind of paint? You can see the brush mark at the rear spine mount.

I saw that paint mark.
It doesn't appear; however, that the entire interior was painted.
It sort of looks like somebody tried to "clean" the inside with sandpaper.?.?

John

I agree with you John, my first impression is that the helmet has the rough flesh side on the interior of the helmet instead of the smooth hair side of the hide which is proper. Weird!

I wonder why they claim this as a 1871 model, with this shape and five ventilation holes...
Circa 1890 NCO? Extra-helm? Or simply a put-together helmet? The spike attachment looks like recent.
You find sometimes this rough flesh side hide in busbies.
The entry price is indeed laughable. This was welcome as I did not have much chance to laugh lately...

I agree with you John, my first impression is that the helmet has the rough flesh side on the interior of the helmet instead of the smooth hair side of the hide which is proper. Weird!

I vote this is exactly what this is. It's made inside out, which is not the German way, which is why the lacquer shattered everywhere on the exterior shell. The fittings are parts put on, like officer chinscales with everything else ORs. It appears to be an actual old helmet, but I have no faith the helmet ever heard the German language.

Just a thought though, could that perhaps not be the interior photo of this helmet?

I did note the $4K opening bid though.... perhaps a relative of the banned member? At any rate, the seller says it's only for "advanced collector's" so gosh darn that eliminates me.

Last edited:
WOW. I never put that together, but it does sound like our ol' buddy.
$4K and only for an advanced collector --- hummm?

John

It's made inside out, which is not the German way, which is why the lacquer shattered everywhere on the exterior shell. The fittings are parts put on, like officer chinscales with everything else ORs.

Was I too harsh? Was I being a pecker? A John-Willy Thompson, a shaft, a willy, a schlong?

Or perhaps I was rude. Too much attitude?

Deepest apologies.

Last edited:
Was I too harsh? Was I being a pecker? A John-Willy Thompson, a shaft, a willy, a schlong?

Or perhaps I was rude. Too much attitude?

Deepest apologies.
Yes, you have been all this (and I can teach you a few more related words in French to enrich your vocabulary). Profoundly disrespectful, insulting and utterly rude. You should have said that there, perhaps, might exist some remote, but most unlikely possibility that a minor, hardly visible and totally unimportant element on this magnificent and exceptional example of German Imperial military craftmanship was replaced in the far past, albeit most likely by the most skilled artisan.

I'm not sure what the politically correct answer would be, but to call this POS a POS shouldn't offend anybody.

John

From a US Marine? Not likely 🇺🇲

And Dr. Peault I am appropriately remanded and psychologically crushed.
I'm not sure I understand this one. I'm lost.
Not likely from a U.S. Marine???
I try to do the best I can, and for me that's work.
My wife is on me constantly for my language. I try to keep it clean here.
In the Corps 'Mother' is only half a word.

John

Last edited:
I think we should make the word "bleach" the official forum swear word.
"That's an absolute piece of bleach."
"What the bleach."
"I really don't give a bleach."
That would make it easier for an old bleachhole like me!

John

Thanks for the laughs all! As it stands, it looks as if I don't need to throw a 'tanker tantrum' over this thing, er... helmet. Or its caveat emptor price.

Ron

Just for fun, a photo of me driving a Sherman for 'General Patton', a grunt who wanted to play TC and some civilian of a less than preferable gender for a rider.

Attachments

• P1100867.JPG
    P1100867.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 11
Back