Landwehr officers shako 1860

joerookery

This one might raise a few eyebrows. Information on these helmet seems to be very scarce, with some information coming from Pietsch, some from Kleiteman and some from old copies of the Deutsche Soldaten Jahrbook. This is a private purchase helmet that has been adjusted by collectors over the last 150 years. There was a similar helmet on the Weitze site. The officer's field badge is correct and original, but did not come with this helmet. The chin strap is correct and original, but the method with which it is attached to the helmet is not original. I would have expected this to have had chin scales originally, but apparently Landwehr shako's did not.

The really key issue is that the wappen is made of silver. the outer ring, which in most helmets of this type are painted white were left silver for officers, Feldwebel and Vizefeldwebel. I do not know for certain if this helmet is for an officer or a Feldwebel. But my limited understanding is that the Feldwebel and Vizefeldwebel did not have the officer field badge. I am way open to other opinions and research on this type of helmet.
IMG_0590350.jpg
IMG_0595350.jpg

more pictures at
http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/Prussian_Landwehr_Officer.html

I know little to nothing in this type of headgear, however, I did have the luxury of holding and looking at this one, it is one impressive Shako.

Congrats on a supurb find

James

I bought the Weitze one...
dpeng :wav:

Well yours is in much better shape, but we have the same problem. :la: Do you have any information on this?? At least you know why I have been bothering you for pictures! I know my chinstrap connections are bad. Do you have pictures of yours?? :notworthy: :notworthy:

Came up with this -- not a photograph. But this artist was used to detail uniforms. The officer is wearing a chin strap not chin scales.
haustasch0006.jpg

haustasch0004.jpg

Simply a pleasure to see such a wonderful shako Joe!!!!!
Some where there is a museum missing a fine helmet.
:D :D
Jerry R.

Thanks Jerry, but the way the chin strap is connected, would disappoint you. I just find that there is not a lot of information easily available on this. Somebody might actually have information, but I certainly have not been able to find any. Keeps us young! :joker: :joker:

Thank you Jean-Pierre! If I read this correctly, it said everybody had leather chin straps, as well as chin scales?!?! :? :? While this is a nice little piece of the puzzle. It does not answer Feldwebel field badges either. But we are getting closer! :-?

Joe;
Can you show us the shortcomings on the current strap?
More picture might tell us if the veteran wore this helmet(Parades& such) after his service time and put on an ezatz/replacement or?
Current strap looks like an early 30's roller buckle used by the Weimar era.
Jerry R.

Here you go Jerry! My normal crummy pictures, and the bolts seems coarse threaded but I do not know about the age. You have seen a lot of these assemblies what do you think? :sad4: :sad4:
inside.jpg

outside.jpg

Joe;
The strap looks like a equipment strap of some kind or hopefully a proper Officers field strap of the period. My first guess was totaly wrong upon closer examination.
Jerry R.

Hey Joe,
the nut looks vintage, but the bolt looks modern, I do not know when they started to press the threads into bolts rather than cutting them, but I suspect that it was well after 1900, the pressing process leaves a hollowish end to the bolt that you should not get with cut threads.
If I were you, I would not worry about the chin strap, even if you find other examples to base a change on, you still can not know for sure that this is not the original strap for this helmet. I think it looks evil, and that you have crossed over to the dark side:)
Best wishes
Gus

Very interesting Robert! my current thought is that the Landwehr Shako originally had no chin scales, and then moved to chin scales like Sergio's later model. Did you notice the holes in the wappen on Sergio's? Why? The other picture looks like the wappen was changed out and you can see the extra holes. Heck of a lot of better chinstrap connectors than mine. :argue:

Gus,

From my foxhole, both the bolt and the nut look new. The bolt is big, but kind of shiny. The nut appears to be made of steel.

All of the Landwehr data bits, I seem to have are after the 1888 Wehrordnung. The search goes on! :tongue4:

Hey Joe, I think you should get rid of it, I have been having evil thoughts lately:)
Gus

Hi Joe

Sorry for the delay in getting these photos posted. The first three are of the officers Tschako I purchased from Helmut Weitze. The field badge is officers quality but I do not believe it is period to the helmet. Just a hunch, don't know for sure.
2shako2.jpg

This image shows the detail of the chinstrap. It is of patent leather and matches the general condition of the piece pretty well. It folds back under itself on the side opposite of the buckle with 6 adjusting holes for the small metal buckle.
2shako3.jpg

The side button is of machined brass with a delicate knurling to the rim. A further feature to this Tschako is a black silk lining which is stitched to the top of the morrocan leather sweatband. In the crown the officer glued his calling card identifying the owner as Fritz, Lieutenant von der Infanterie.

2shako1.jpg

I thought you might find useful some images of our 1860 Garde Tschako as well. This particular helmet is dated 1871 and shows some similarities in the chinstrap attachment and design with the officer one. The adjusting buckle is brass. As with the officers helmet I believe this field badge to be a later one, don't know why, it just appears too small.
1shako3.jpg

1shako2.jpg

1shako1.jpg

Hope this helps and adds more fuel to the discussion.

Larry

Wappen seems to be a "Mannschaft" one.

The different shades you see inside the recesses of the wappen are actually a matt silver frosting, not white paint. It has developed a patina over time from age and cleaning. :)

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for the pictures! :D :D Could you possibly give us some pictures of the liner that you are discussing? I would also like to see a picture of the card. Are you saying there is a newer silk liner? It is also quite unusual. I think to be called a lieutenant of infantry. Lieutenant of the reserves, Lieutenant of the Landwehr..... Please please please. [-o< [-o<

Your chin strap mounting system certainly looks right but I would also beg a picture of the interior connection. Aren't I Greedy? :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Back