Let's see some shots of your number 1.

If all you fella's had to choose only ONE helmet to keep from your collections which would it be?

I'll start with mine. I got this one sometime ago with the help of the Chasman, the guy selling it would not ship outside the US but I got it after all. Thank's again Chas!!
Beautiful, untouched condition, great set of regimental stamps, named and some nice gilding remaining on the very high quality wappen.

These photo's were taken by Chas as the helmet was sent to him and since then it has acquired an original strap and cockades. I'll post some more pics of it in it's present state soon..

So let's see 'em!

OK, Here is a different take, this is the helmet I would keep, if I had to chose, it is the least valuable as far as money goes, but it was my grandfather's helmet, and one of the few items of his that I have. It is rusted through and has not liner or chin strap, and probably would not bring €2 on ebay.
RSAdams001.jpg

Best
Gus

Very nice pieces gentlemen. Good thread Mikey..I would never have thought to start one of this kind. I will post my favourite after a bit of soul searching. Gus congrats on that grandfather helmet..wish I had anything belonging to my Scottish GF.

Hey Brian,
The great thing about my keeper, is that if I had to sell off my collection, I would still be able to keep this helmet, as it has no monetary value, and as you know, selling a collectin is very difficult, it is always a comfort to know that the collection is there like a bank account, ready to support you when you need it.
Best
Gus

Well, I just went and counted, and was surprised that I have 113 Pickelhauben. But they are just "things". Like Gus, I would keep what has meaning, so I would say my favourite helmet is the little one that I made for Kaiser when he was less than a year old in 1997, and he still wears it (when adequate payment is offered). The real ones can always be replaced. This one, there is only one. So it is my favourite and it will always be with me.

Kaiser2009.jpg

Precious, Tony. I'd agree and say that's probably your best! (Although you do have some very, very nice stuff!)

I can only show you pictures of my worst ones! :p :p

On a more serious note may I add your picture of the marking for RJR 133 to the list? :D

These are great choices, including Tony's!...
This is still a very tough question Mike, which I am not able to answer.
Here is a mere candidate though, for its close-to-new condition...
Bruno
P1010012.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Oh my Gawd! Great stuff so far but these two......!!

I think it's the silver fittings - I love those kind of helmets. It's a bit of a shame as I don't have a silver one but a man can dream can't he?

Bruno - I might have guessed that one. I know of it from before and it's the finest example of that particular helmet I have seen.

Reservist1, what can I say? That's the 'Brandenburg' one isn't it? And what an example!! That's a new one on me, so thank's for letting me see that it.

Amazing stuff guy's - I've got some idea of the kind of insane stuff that might turn up. Let's see.........Brian, Chas (the mind boggles when thinking what he might come up with!), James, Tony (you get another go with a real one and I know what it's gonna be) - I have some clues......

Lazerblade, Flashheart, these are just names off the top of my head but there's many more - I know you got the goods! :D

Back