National WWI Museum in Kansas City

Wow,
What a huge basement he must have had .
They seized a full 88 as well along with several weapons.

Nice museum in Kansas .

In Poland under Soviet occupation in 1945, collecting equipment from battlefields was punishable by death.
I believe that. Probably a LONG prison sentence in Germany and elsewhere. Still, I'd have talked to the 'city council' to talk to the 'occupying forces' to start a local museum to memorialize the local history. It's interesting what a little chalk and 'Save for the (insert city name) museum' on the side of a vehicle might do. ;)

I echo Alan's comments above: Curatorial 'fashion' has all but dimissed this approach to museum display. The Imperial War Musuem was once like this but is now a dismal shadow of it's former self. The Army Museum in Vienna is the only major museum I have visited recently which really tries to show as much as possible.
Steve

Great photos!!! I want to get there some day. As wonderful as it looks, it is still typical of a museum, great at showing objects, but often wrong in the details. The Austro-Hungarian cap and fez are misidentified in the placard text.

Great photos!!! I want to get there some day. As wonderful as it looks, it is still typical of a museum, great at showing objects, but often wrong in the details. The Austro-Hungarian cap and fez are misidentified in the placard text.
The quality of labeling is the one thing that disappointed me.

I echo Alan's comments above: Curatorial 'fashion' has all but dimissed this approach to museum display. The Imperial War Musuem was once like this but is now a dismal shadow of it's former self. The Army Museum in Vienna is the only major museum I have visited recently which really tries to show as much as possible.
Steve
Boy I agree!! Frankly, I like a museum that is stuffed floor to ceiling with artifacts. Then, If I see something that piques my curiosity, I find a book to read about it. But I understand most people are not like us....they are history deficient. So a museum at it's best, strikes a nice balance between telling a story and showing artifacts. Too many museums today focus mostly on story telling and trying to set an emotional tone. I believe that this approach leaves most visitors feeling like, "Well, now I know totally all about that subject". A visit to any museum should leave people "almost" satisfied, and wanting more which they will hopefully seek out for themselves.

I was just reading that the Panther was actually one assembled by the British after the war from surplus parts.

Back