NCO or Officer?

827_Katie

IMG_7642.jpegHello! I hope everyone is well! I am fairly new to collecting Pickelhauben, and I just acquired a new piece. I am only now starting to research further into different types of Pickelhauben, different ranks and so on, so my knowledge is quite limited. I had someone tell me this is an NCO Pickelhaube, but I don’t everything that makes an officer differ from NCO’s Pickelhaube. I would just like some insight if that is ok! Thank you :)

Katie

Hello Katie

That would be good to also see the interior of the helmet and the side Kokarde, but from that picture, it has all the features of a Prussian Infantry officer in a nice worn condition. (y)

Hi Katie

Welcome to the forum. Yes the star retainers securing the spike base, the spike, the egg tart round the spike base, the rosettes securing the chin scales, the front plate which we also called it a wappen, the narrow front visor trim all points to an officer helmet. We will need pics of the two sides, the back that has the rear spine and the interior of the helmet which has the sweat band and the canvas.

You have done well on your first pickelhaube.

Hi Katie,
Welcome here. I agree with Amy and Meme32 on this haube, it has indeed all the features of an Infantry officer, Prussia.
Please share, like others stated, some more pictures of it here, so we can tell exactly. But it seems to me, you had a great purchase there!
And volume one book from Bowman is also good reference, all be it a bit dated, but a good reference for starting collectors.

Regards, Coert.

Hello Katie

That would be good to also see the interior of the helmet and the side Kokarde, but from that picture, it has all the features of a Prussian Infantry officer in a nice worn condition. (y)
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it, I will post some more photos of the kokarde and the liner. The liner is definitely quite fragile and worn, but that shows it was worn which what I was looking for. There is also a cover with it too, but it doesn’t quite fit because it probably came from a different pickelhaube.

Attachments

• IMG_7643.jpeg
    IMG_7643.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7654.jpeg
    IMG_7654.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Hi Katie

Welcome to the forum. Yes the star retainers securing the spike base, the spike, the egg tart round the spike base, the rosettes securing the chin scales, the front plate which we also called it a wappen, the narrow front visor trim all points to an officer helmet. We will need pics of the two sides, the back that has the rear spine and the interior of the helmet which has the sweat band and the canvas.

You have done well on your first pickelhaube.
Thank you for your insight Amy. I have seen a few of your Pickelhauben, and I want to say that they are absolutely incredible! I posted some photos above the liner and the sides, but here is the spine:

Attachments

• IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Hi Katie,
Welcome here. I agree with Amy and Meme32 on this haube, it has indeed all the features of an Infantry officer, Prussia.
Please share, like others stated, some more pictures of it here, so we can tell exactly. But it seems to me, you had a great purchase there!
And volume one book from Bowman is also good reference, all be it a bit dated, but a good reference for starting collectors.

Regards, Coert.
Thank you, I am glad I could get some advice and insight. I posted the photos above if you would like to look at those. Yes, I saw this book in the shop where I work, and I just had to buy it! When I begin my research, I will be using this book a lot. There also happens to be a second volume which I will have to purchase as well.

Hi Katie, I fully agree with Brian on this, a good and totally original Prussian infantry officer helmet. I like the photo's, liner show some wear, but hey, wouldn't we all after all those years? Most of the time, the silk interior can be gone, (sometimes only the sweatband is present) on your helmet it is still there. I also would like to see the cover.
As of advice, and insight, we are all here to help you know. We are all collectors, and frankly, everybody here started out just like you.
With a liking for these helmets, but new to the ins and outs of them. We all had to learn you know.

You did very well with your first pickelhaube!

Regards, Coert. (y)

Well done Katie for your first Pickelhaube and welcome on the forum !
It is the best place to learn and discuss Pickelhauben !

Welcome to the forum. (y)

You should post a picture of the helmet with the cover on it like it came into the Horse Soldier. That would also be of interest I'm sure, and it adds to the story and history of the Helmet.
Hello, and thank you! The cover its self came from someone who sold to the horse soldier, and the Pickelhaube I got from a friend in Belgium. So in this case, the cover is not original to the helmet, but happens to fit the helmet the closest. I will send a photo of what it looks like with it. I’m afraid to force it all the way on because I don’t want to damage it if it doesn’t fit.

Hi Katie, I fully agree with Brian on this, a good and totally original Prussian infantry officer helmet. I like the photo's, liner show some wear, but hey, wouldn't we all after all those years? Most of the time, the silk interior can be gone, (sometimes only the sweatband is present) on your helmet it is still there. I also would like to see the cover.
As of advice, and insight, we are all here to help you know. We are all collectors, and frankly, everybody here started out just like you.
With a liking for these helmets, but new to the ins and outs of them. We all had to learn you know.

You did very well with your first pickelhaube!

Regards, Coert. (y)
This is why I am here, so that I can learn more about something I am passionate about! I appreciate all of the help from everyone, and it’s amazing how much knowledge everyone has. We enough time, research and experience, I am hoping that I can get there too. I will definitely post a photo of it with the cover as well! Thanks :)

Back