NCO or trooper helmet from the Garde-Fußartillerie-Regt.

Another possibility remains to explain the non "regulatory" fittings on this "Kammer" helmet, therefore belonging and distributed by the army since regimented (which Eigentum helmet never has):
Indeed, during mobilization, it was necessary to equip a hundred "new regiments" and "Reserve and Landwehr regiments", and the shortage of equipment was offset by the "Ersatz", whose "funds of drawers" (helmets of police, firefighter, transformed to point etc...) and the reuse of old models remained in reserve.

Infra, to illustrate my words, a photo of a Schutzgrenze or Zollbeamte mobilized with his administrative helmet, and another photo of a Reservist of 109 RJR Badois, with an old M71 helmet, or at least with the old M67 tip at Perlring -troop.

Attachments

• Zoll Grenzschutz  mobilisé 1.jpg
    Zoll Grenzschutz mobilisé 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 109 RJR E.B. Bade PteM67 GriffonIR.jpg
    109 RJR E.B. Bade PteM67 GriffonIR.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24
My two peacetime LGR109s were mobilized in 1914 with 1GBRJR109 (1st Grenadier Battalion). The first is an M95 but with an old M87 hook chinstrap. We can clearly see the trace of the 2 anti-rotation pawls of the old trunnion. The other is an M91 with no rear vent, and again with an M87 tip without a pearl ring, but 6 holes instead of 5, unique to this regiment and tip vintage.
On mobilization, the standards regulations were eminently flouted, given the urgency. And then everything was hidden by the Überzug (helmet cover)

Attachments

• 109R M95 Pte 87 & M91 jug87.JPG
    109R M95 Pte 87 & M91 jug87.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 109R M95 Pte 87  & M91  jug87.JPG
    109R M95 Pte 87 & M91 jug87.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 109RJR jug M87 à crochet.JPG
    109RJR jug M87 à crochet.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 109RJR M95 Jug M87 de service.JPG
    109RJR M95 Jug M87 de service.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
b.Loree :
With the M95 model, eyelets are placed on the fixing holes of the front plate, and bridges replace the screw-nuts. Troops on foot, receive a sliding vents on the rear spine. For parade, flat scales on the chinstrap. The "mounted" Feld-Artillery therefore keeps the rear rod without ventilation flap, and curved scales but the Artillery zu Fuß takes the ventilation flap for sweating and flat infantry scales.
Here, it is indeed a foot gunner, although being equipped with the M91 field chinstrap (leather).
The unscrewable ball is correct for this regiment of the Guard which carried the Busch in parade.
Frontenac :
Your helmet is in good condition. Cheer. The hull is regulatory, with its "Kammer" marking. That said...a few observations betray a customized hairstyle for a one-year recruit:
---On the M95, the crest has no "troop" Perlring and the fixing rivets are with folding latches. The frontal eagle has bridges, paired with eyelets.

So here, we have an M95 shell (grommets, rear ventilation flap) but:

---The crest (ball) is of the troop 1867 model at Perlring "troop", non-regulatory after 1887 but still used on the Extra-Helm-Eigentum i

---Crest Mscrew-nuts are typically for Extra-Helms.

---The front plate (Guard-Adler), is of the M71-M91 model with its screw-nuts, also used for the Extra-Helm.

---The jugular is also an Eigentum. It is of superior quality, fine leather, shiny patent, and above all 2 non-existent leather loops on the chinstraps provided by the army (regulatory).
Thank you for this very detailed comment.
Do you think such a helmet could have been worn during the War?

My two peacetime LGR109s were mobilized in 1914 with 1GBRJR109 (1st Grenadier Battalion). The first is an M95 but with an old M87 hook chinstrap. We can clearly see the trace of the 2 anti-rotation pawls of the old trunnion. The other is an M91 with no rear vent, and again with an M87 tip without a pearl ring, but 6 holes instead of 5, unique to this regiment and tip vintage.
On mobilization, the standards regulations were eminently flouted, given the urgency. And then everything was hidden by the Überzug (helmet cover)
Interesting. Thus, my Guard's helmet could have been worn during the War.

Yes, this is the most plausible hypothesis.

---Extra-Helm-Eigentum (fancy helmets, of private purchase) of peacetime were entirely "fancy". The fittings were new and the top quality hulls were never registered as they did not belong to the army (Bekleidungs-Amt)

---When we are in front of a "regulatory" shell of Kammer distributed by the German Army, (and therefore regimented and reduced from the BA) and that the fittings are obsolete, downgraded, reformed regulatory effects, it is a "recycled" helmet " for mobilization.

Photo1: the MP on the right shows a point that is too high, it is an Eigentum.
Photo2: this soldier shows an Eigentum helmet, (very thin visor ring)
Photo3: An example of a peacetime trade purchase, for a one-year engaged. It has everything of an officer's helmet, except what was strictly forbidden for a trooper: the stars, and the officer's cockades.

Attachments

• Eigentum en service.GIF
    Eigentum en service.GIF
    307 KB · Views: 24
  • Eigentum sous CC.GIF
    Eigentum sous CC.GIF
    145 KB · Views: 22
  • Einjährig Gr Adler FWR 1450€Z2.GIF
    Einjährig Gr Adler FWR 1450€Z2.GIF
    104.6 KB · Views: 24
Still on the same subject, some regulatory "Kammer" helmets were purchased by their wearer, at the B.A. (in the army) when the soldier became a "Reserve NCO" for example. In this case, we have a "regulatory" helmet but become "Eigentum". This is the case of hulls stamped "Verkauft".

Attachments

• Verkauft vendu par le B.A..jpg
    Verkauft vendu par le B.A..jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 12
some regulatory "Kammer" helmets were purchased by their wearer
When 1-year volunteers entered the army, they bought used uniforms and equipment from the army for use during working hours (hence regimentally marked and “Eigenthum” also); the fancy “private purchase” uniform, helmet and equipment were worn outside working hours.

On this helmet I don’t see an “Eigenthum” stamp, so I don’t think the above applies to this helmet.

The shell looks like a correct EM M95 to me; difficult to know when Wappen, “ball” and chinstrap were put on. Maybe a better picture of the stamps (or writing them down, often easier to read in hand than on a picture) could help clarify the history of this helmet?

Yes Lars 13, it was to remain exhaustive on the subject, and to show the cases which can explain the presence of helmets or "fancy" helmet elements.

When 1-year volunteers entered the army, they bought used uniforms and equipment from the army for use during working hours (hence regimentally marked and “Eigenthum” also); the fancy “private purchase” uniform, helmet and equipment were worn outside working hours.

On this helmet I don’t see an “Eigenthum” stamp, so I don’t think the above applies to this helmet.

The shell looks like a correct EM M95 to me; difficult to know when Wappen, “ball” and chinstrap were put on. Maybe a better picture of the stamps (or writing them down, often easier to read in hand than on a picture) could help clarify the history of this helmet?
Here is a closer view of the stamps. It's the best I can do.thumbnail_IMG_2154.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2153.jpgFAb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to each of you for sharing your knowledge!

I want to identify properly my helmet. It's not an easy task.

Is it correct to identify it as: M1895 trooper Eigentums-helm from the "Garde-Fußartillerie-Regt."?

Should I specify in the identification that it could belong to an EM, Fähnrich or One Year Volunteer?

Last edited:
Thanks to each of you for sharing your knowledge!

I want to identify properly my helmet. It's not an easy task.

Is it correct to identify it as: M1895 trooper Eigentums-helm from the "Garde-Fußartillerie-Regt."?

Should I specify in the identification that it could belong to an EM, Fähnrich or One Year Volunteer?
This is for my records.

It's not so easy to properly identify your helmet.
The shell looks like an issued M95, with grommets for the Wappen, rear spine with ventilation slide, and M91 Knopf for the chin strap; I think the rectangular stamp says "B.A.G." with the issue year underneath, meaning the helmet was issued by the Garde Bekleidungsamt, so all correct for an issued lower ranks M95 helmet.
After that it gets more difficult. On an M95 helmet the Wappen should be attached with eyelets, and the spike with split pins, rather than screws as here. Also the chin strap, which looks original to me, is the private purchase type. Like Clovis says, in this configuration most likely a one-year volunteer. Did a "poor" one-year volunteer, or a fashion-conscious enlisted man, resort to buying a used helmet from the army, and embellishing it with a few private purchase parts, to save some money and still have a nice walking-out helmet? Maybe.
But the private purchase helmets I have seen are typically higher quality with an officer-type liner, coloured visors, possibly lightweight, which is why I'm a bit uncertain.
In your place I would catagorize the helmet as M95 enlisted men, with private purchase upgrades.

Perhaps the Germans weren’t as confused as we are now. Eigetumsstück as has been mentioned just means it is property of someone. Everyone who has commented has been correct in someway.

If a soldiers family had money, he could buy a helmet from any one of many tailors and outfitters which would supply several levels of quality helmets. Personally these are my favourite helmets as they are such amazing quality.

However, The most economical means to obtain your own helmet for walking-out etc. was to buy it from your Regiment. This was allowed within German supply systems and this enabled soldiers to purchase clothing items directly from the Kammer (Quartermaster) which was duly recorded in the Regiments financial books. Very common. In the case of a helmet, a worn and previously issued one such as Richard’s could be bought, or a new one for a bit more.

Here is where the opinion of collectors who have served in the Army might differ from those who have not. Imagine going into the Regimental Kammer (Quartermaster). You want your own helmet. You pick out a helmet, possibly from hundreds on shelves based on size. The potentially dig through boxes of Garde Wappen with (now obsolete) M1891 posts, then request (or purchase?) an M1871 Kugel and base with Perlring, as these were no longer ‘regulation’ but they were very much preferred and worn. A soldier asking to purchase one for his Eigentums helmet must have been a very common occurrence. To hold it on, the Kammer would have had thousands of screw posts retainers left over from previous models. Armies never throw away spare parts to replaced or obsolete equipment. Never.

Then to finish it off, a quick stop at the shop in the town to buy a very affordable up-market chinstrap. And done. An Eigetumsstück helmet that will drive us mad 100 years later…

And if you were an Einjährig-Freiwilliger (One year volunteer) and didn’t want to purchase your clothing and equipment, you could rent it from the Regiment.

As for the helmet itself, most important is that the Kugel removes for a Haarbusche. The Kokarden likely indicate the man was a soldier, up to the rank of Sergeant. I think it’s a wonderful helmet. Congratulations Richard.

Last edited:
Hi Frontenac,
I agree with Lars13 and Tony without Kaiser.
A few details:
---Fancy "Eigentum" helmet, yes, but actually purchased from a Beckleidungs Amt as the shell is "regulation - troop" model M95. The helmets of the trade, are of Extra-Helm quality, are never regimented, and never marked of the B.A. Also the eyelets are matched with the bridges of frontal plate, the plates with screw-nuts have only a small hole in the leather, without bridges.
In photo: Eigentum helmet but commercial purchase # of an Eigentum purchased at B.A.

For the rank, yes, possible for an Einjährig Freiwilliger, or a Reservist having finished his period.
Not possible for a Fähnrich, who received during their classes a stipend to buy their own helmet, so an Extra-Helm "0fficer" quality of the trade. And then this helmet would have "officer" cockades.
The last picture shows an officer quality Extra-Helm. This is a troop helmet or Einjährig Freiwilliger, as the cockades would be "officer" for a Fähnrich.

Attachments

• Eigentum 1jährigfreiwilliger.GIF
    Eigentum 1jährigfreiwilliger.GIF
    133.1 KB · Views: 9
  • M71-95 Prusse EinjährigFreiwil-.jpg
    M71-95 Prusse EinjährigFreiwil-.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Sax Einjährig Freiwilliger.JPG
    Sax Einjährig Freiwilliger.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
Regarding the use of this type of helmet during mobilization, it is known that there was an "exception" for wartime and emergency circumstances, to the prohibition of wearing them in peacetime. Faced with the shortage of items due to the raising of the "new regiments", and the Reserve and Landwehr regiments, the army bought back their personal helmets from the soldiers who had them. In practice, instead of providing them with a "Kammer" helmet free of charge, they were allowed to wear their Eigentum helmet under the helmet cover, by paying them a compensation.
As usual, you have to prove what you are claiming.
This is demonstrated by trimmings or wrecks of Eigentum helmets, police helmets, customs helmets etc... found in excavations on battlefields.
Period photos are less eloquent because the helmets are often covered with the helmet cover. Nevertheless, the photo below shows a non-officer Military Police on the right, wearing such an Extra-Helm.

Attachments

• Eigentum en service.GIF
    Eigentum en service.GIF
    307 KB · Views: 10
Here is a Baden helmet from my collection which provides a further example of what has been discussed here:
IMG_4036.jpeg
Custom officer style trim.
IMG_4040.jpeg
Officer pierced crown wappen with screw posts and thick square brass nuts.
IMG_4037.jpeg
Non vented spine.
IMG_4038.jpeg
Custom style cut out for spine.
IMG_4039.jpeg
Unlined visors, 1880's officer liner, square nut and screw post spike base bolts (one obviously replaced) and older style spine brad. Size marked 55 cm. In my opinion this is also an example of a pre 1891 helmet to which M91 posts, were added. I believe this helmet supports much of what has been stated in this thread. I bought this at the SOS in 2018 from a forum member. It needs cockades and chin strap so I have to track those down. I have spare straps but none will fit over these posts.....another example of no universal sizing on our helmets.

Perhaps the Germans weren’t as confused as we are now. Eigetumsstück as has been mentioned just means it is property of someone. Everyone who has commented has been correct in someway.

If a soldiers family had money, he could buy a helmet from any one of many tailors and outfitters which would supply several levels of quality helmets. Personally these are my favourite helmets as they are such amazing quality.

However, The most economical means to obtain your own helmet for walking-out etc. was to buy it from your Regiment. This was allowed within German supply systems and this enabled soldiers to purchase clothing items directly from the Kammer (Quartermaster) which was duly recorded in the Regiments financial books. Very common. In the case of a helmet, a worn and previously issued one such as Richard’s could be bought, or a new one for a bit more.

Here is where the opinion of collectors who have served in the Army might differ from those who have not. Imagine going into the Regimental Kammer (Quartermaster). You want your own helmet. You pick out a helmet, possibly from hundreds on shelves based on size. The potentially dig through boxes of Garde Wappen with (now obsolete) M1891 posts, then request (or purchase?) an M1871 Kugel and base with Perlring, as these were no longer ‘regulation’ but they were very much preferred and worn. A soldier asking to purchase one for his Eigentums helmet must have been a very common occurrence. To hold it on, the Kammer would have had thousands of screw posts retainers left over from previous models. Armies never throw away spare parts to replaced or obsolete equipment. Never.

Then to finish it off, a quick stop at the shop in the town to buy a very affordable up-market chinstrap. And done. An Eigetumsstück helmet that will drive us mad 100 years later…

And if you were an Einjährig-Freiwilliger (One year volunteer) and didn’t want to purchase your clothing and equipment, you could rent it from the Regiment.

As for the helmet itself, most important is that the Kugel removes for a Haarbusche. The Kokarden likely indicate the man was a soldier, up to the rank of Sergeant. I think it’s a wonderful helmet. Congratulations Richard.

Thank you very much for your comment Tony! 👍

Hi Frontenac,
I agree with Lars13 and Tony without Kaiser.
A few details:
---Fancy "Eigentum" helmet, yes, but actually purchased from a Beckleidungs Amt as the shell is "regulation - troop" model M95. The helmets of the trade, are of Extra-Helm quality, are never regimented, and never marked of the B.A. Also the eyelets are matched with the bridges of frontal plate, the plates with screw-nuts have only a small hole in the leather, without bridges.
In photo: Eigentum helmet but commercial purchase # of an Eigentum purchased at B.A.

For the rank, yes, possible for an Einjährig Freiwilliger, or a Reservist having finished his period.
Not possible for a Fähnrich, who received during their classes a stipend to buy their own helmet, so an Extra-Helm "0fficer" quality of the trade. And then this helmet would have "officer" cockades.
The last picture shows an officer quality Extra-Helm. This is a troop helmet or Einjährig Freiwilliger, as the cockades would be "officer" for a Fähnrich.
Clovis,

Another very constructive comment. Thanks! 👍

Back