Officer Tschapka - 1st Bavarian Uhlan-Regiment „Emperor Wilhelm II., King of Prussia“

Thank you Steve, Wojtec and John.
Wojtec, that is a beautiful set, thank you for sharing. And Steve, thank you for these informations. I didn’t know that these are really that expensive, because I have seen often that weitze buys an article and just offers it twice as much.
But I can’t buy it at the moment anyway. The helmet wasn’t cheap and I would probably buy another helmet for the money, I think. 😅 My collection is not very big yet, and there are still a lot of helmets I want to have 😵 I think I would only buy a Fangschnur if I‘d see one, but that‘s it.
It was a really good buy! You will not regret this purchase.Regards

Wonderful purchase Sandy. Beautiful fashionable high HIGH neck. Much more desirable in my opinion compared to the older model officer Tschapka.

You are well aware of how difficult it is to find a Wappen to fit a helmet shell. Very difficult. Now consider for a moment that whatever manufacturer made your Tschapka, made the Rabatte specifically to fit that helmet. I would not be surprised if you somehow found and bought 20 Rabatte and not one would fit. Not one. Especially with that long neck.

If by a miracle you found a Bavarian officers Rabatte to fit (after you spent a small fortune on it) you cannot have a Rabatte without a parade Haarbush. They are always on a Tschapka together. Those are also impossible to find, and extremely expensive.

Now after you’ve spent the price of the new car on a Rabatte and a Haarbush, you need an officer’s Fangschnur.

The only other part that will absolutely fit your Tschapka would be the Fangschnur. Those cords were worn in Garrison, on Parade, and they were worn in the field, as they serve a function of keeping the Tschapka connected to the wearer.

So my personal opinion, and my opinion only, is that you will never find an Bavarian officers Rabatte to fit, and why buy a Haarbush if you don’t have the Rabatte. So forget those and hope to find Fangschnur some day.

Beautiful Tschapka. I love them.

Thank you for your kind words and advices gentlemen. I‘m glad that I changed my mind and bought the fieldsign. It is more complete now and I have all the time it needs to find an untouched one.
Regarding the parade add-ons, I agree with you Tony. A Fangschnur is the only add on I would buy to complete the helmet for in service use. If I would like to have a Tschapka in parade version it would be cheaper to buy a complete helmet, because I don’t need to complete this one.

Uhlan officers to parade can be a killer .In my years of collecting I have
seen collectors who must have their helmets to parade
Some collectors don't need theirs to parade
I am O K either way .To me the helmet is the main thing
I remember years ago Paul Sanders was at a show .A German dealer
( I dare not spell his name correctly ) Wolfgang C W von Mertschensky
had at the show a Saxon Ulhan officers Fangschnur
The price was back then $ 1,000
A collector friend remarked ; " That's $100 per foot ! "
Paul bought it
Back then Saxony was still in the East and very little came out
That was the Older OVMS show before they had the S O S
at the Drawbridge in Ky.
Steve

Tony;
All that you write is true
Another thing that I learned about Uhlan officers Rabatte is that the metallic trim
at the top must match the color of the front plate
In other words Sandy's gilt trim Uhaln would need the correct color of the Rabatte
and the top metallic trim should be gilt
I was lucky I bought a U R 14 officer already to parade
of course it is a Prussian helmet so the parade parts are somewhat easier
to locate as there were more regiments .However the U R 14 Rabatte
is a special color
Steve

Sandy:

That is a very good looking Tschapska.

I also like that you added a short history of the regiment as well. It gives the piece some added character in my view.

Steve

Thank you for your kind words and advices gentlemen. I‘m glad that I changed my mind and bought the fieldsign. It is more complete now and I have all the time it needs to find an untouched one.
Regarding the parade add-ons, I agree with you Tony. A Fangschnur is the only add on I would buy to complete the helmet for in service use. If I would like to have a Tschapka in parade version it would be cheaper to buy a complete helmet, because I don’t need to complete this one.
Good choice to buy that Feldzeichen Sandy!
At least it is now more complete, and you can search for a nicer one. Do you have a picture of it fitted to the Tschapka?
By the way, I saw your picture gallery at Flickr, nice pictures!

Regards, Coert.

I found my pre 1992 photo of my Bavarian Uhlan Regt 2
officer 's helmet to parade photo .The Fangschnur has the open tassels
as opposed to the Prussian closed knot at the end of the Fangschnur
Note the silver trim at the top of the Rabatte to match the front plate
of the helmet
SteveBavarian U R 2 officer.jpeg

Thank you all for your kind comments, I really appreciate it ☺️
Steve, thank you for the informations about the color of the Rabatte and posting your beautiful Tschapka.
Coert, I will take new photos, but I have to rebuild my photocube and because of my disability it will take 1 or 2 days 🙃

Sandy!

What a fantastically outrageous helmet!!! I am so happy for you!!!! The tall neck is just stunning! That is a dream tschapka!!! Well earned my friend!

John

Sandy ;
I looked up the Weitze Bavarian U R 1 Officer Rabatte .
There are 2 of them .
Both almost mint condition
Weitze places a premium on condition so i think
that is why the asking price is so high
Steve

Thank you Steve, there is also a correct hair bush for the helmet. But he charges 3000€ for both and the Fangschnur would be still missing. Although it would be interesting to know if one of the Rabatten fit, I won't start to check it, because my war chest is empty after buying the Tschapka :eek:😁

Sandy, it looks great! The feldzeichen looks to be an original one, very good choice to get it too.
An excellent Tschapka.

Regards, Coert.

Back