Provisional Reichswehr

Could you imagine owning that uniform?! Wow, what a stunning piece!
There's one example published in the Reichswehr book by Verlag Militaria, its also where this photo was published. That example is the only one I have seen all my years in the hobby. (Not long though, less than 10 years:ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
Thank you, sir! The ones with the sleeve insignia are extremely rare as it was only used from spring until fall of 1919. Very short window!
Great thread and a subject dear to my heart.

Karl,

the blue sleeve insignia of the Friedensheer was introduced per order of 19 January 1919 and was superseded by the matt silver cuff and sleeve insignia already per order of 5 May 1919. So an even shorter window! The second pattern was officially in use until the introduction of the final Reichsheer pattern with traditional shoulder boards for officers and straps with rank insignia for NCOs was introduced per order of 22 December 1920 (effective 1 January 1921). Of note is the fact, that production of the 2nd pattern insignia was already halted per order of 22 February 1920 which probably accounts for the very mixed picture regarding the continued wear of old “imperial” insignia in tandem with the new.

Regards
Glenn

Last edited:
Great thread and a subject dear to my heart.

Karl,

the blue sleeve insignia of the Friedensheer was introduced per order of 19 January 1919 and was superseded by the matt silver cuff and sleeve insignia already per order of 5 May 1919. So an even shorter window! The second pattern was officially in use until the introduction of the final Reichsheer pattern with traditional shoulder boards for officers and straps with rank insignia for NCOs was introduced per order of 22 December 1922 (effective 1 January 1921). Of note is the fact, that production of the 2nd pattern insignia was already halted per order of 22 February 1920 which probably accounts for the very mixed picture regarding the continued wear of old “imperial” insignia in tandem with the new.

Regards
Glenn
Thank you for the added information, Glenn! Really amazing how short the time period was that the blue insignia was worn...

This wonderful image was posted at GMIC by user 03fahnen. It depicts a General der Infanterie wearing the insignia of the Friedensherr. Also in the shot are a couple of general staff officers, the nearest to the camera in the rank of Major. Unfortunately, given the angle of the shot, I cannot at the moment identify the general and both those staff officers look maddeningly familiar!

Regards
Glenn

Friedensheer.jpg

These men are
This wonderful image was posted at GMIC by user 03fahnen. It depicts a General der Infanterie wearing the insignia of the Friedensherr. Also in the shot are a couple of general staff officers, the nearest to the camera in the rank of Major. Unfortunately, given the angle of the shot, I cannot at the moment identify the general and both those staff officers look maddeningly familiar!

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 33085
Talk about a rare photo!! Thank you for sharing!

Great Weimar Republic period Reichswehr photos. And, thanks for the photo of the Saxon Police armored car unit. I have a bayonet that is property marked to the Weimar Republic period Bavarian Police Armored unit so, close but no cigar.

Here are a couple of photos from my photo albums of the Saxon Police during this time period showing their distinctive flat Tschakos and uniforms.

Attachments

• saxon family.jpg
    saxon family.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Saxon Police.jpg
    Saxon Police.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Sax Pol swords.JPG
    Sax Pol swords.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 15
  • saxon police1.jpg
    saxon police1.jpg