Prussian Garde Helmet for Restoration. Need help and advice.

that came out nice
you cant see the diffrence
you've past for the exam
that helmet can go for the next 100 years
:bravo:

Wow! That is very good! Unfortunately I have lost the dexterity and brain-hand coordination to do something similar to the "old Prussian lady". Only simple jobs can be performed by muggins 'ere! But to you, Trevor: hat off! :bravo:

Very interesting Thread, thank you for reactivating it, Jaap :wink:
The topic with the Leathercream is something I asked myself too....
But I got Ballistol-Oil, an oil which was developed by the wish of the Emperor. He wanted an Universal-Oil for maintenance of all Leather-Parts, all kinds of Metal, for Weapons and lubric. of technical Systems. It was (is) also usefull to care the Skin :D
This Oil is available today in the original settings. Would it be useful to care the old Pickelhaubes with this Oil against dehydration or would you advise against the use?

Sandmann said:
Very interesting Thread, thank you for reactivating it, Jaap :wink:
The topic with the Leathercream is something I asked myself too....
But I got Ballistol-Oil, an oil which was developed by the wish of the Emperor. He wanted an Universal-Oil for maintenance of all Leather-Parts, all kinds of Metal, for Weapons and lubric. of technical Systems. It was (is) also usefull to care the Skin :D
This Oil is available today in the original settings. Would it be useful to care the old Pickelhaubes with this Oil against dehydration or would you advise against the use?

I have definitively and irremediably banned the use of any oily ointment on helmets, inside and outside. For me it is useless, can be harmful and definitively looks and feels bad. It can also compromise the resale value.
Bruno

Hi Sandy! In my days as a salesman in a gun store and later on as the editor of the Netherlands' (then) only gun magazine, I used Ballistol for just about everything, not only for my guns. Indeed it cures some skin problems, and way back then on the label was mentioned (among many other purposes) that it could be used to take care of the skin of your hunting dogs and protecting them from parasytes like fleas and ticks. Such statements concerning health issues are not allowed on the label anymore (EU rules, I guess).

I remember having used Ballistol on a Pickelhaube only once: on the wrong side, i.e. the outside - with the sad result that the shellac layer started to wrinkle. Yes, that's about thirty years ago when I was even sillier than I am now :D! I've never used Ballistol on Pickelhaubes ever since, not even on the inside. I don't know if the reaction of the shellac layer was just an exceptional incident due to maybe an unusual composition of the stuff, but ity truly scared the crap out of me!

So... I dunno if you should use it on the inside. Considering that, generally speaking, it is decent stuff to keep/make leather supple and preseve it, it might be a good idea. But I am most certainly prepared to let this opinion go in favour of a better one from anybody with more experience than myself!

Thank you for your answers... I think I won‘t use it, wheather outside nor inside =;
The risk is too big.
But is there antother product which could supports the Helmet against shrinking (i. E. Chamberlains Leathermilk)? Or would you all definitely avoid Careproducts and use only a Humidifier? In this case I would have to move my only Helmet from the Livingroom-Showcase in the Study-Room, because a Humidifier is too loud there :(

The most natural humidification is using a vapourizer...putting a moist cloud into the air during the winter months. If you use a small one the noise should not be too bad and think of the fact that you are also benefitting from added moisture into your atmosphere.

Back