SOS 2008

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Well it is time to book tables for next year!

Mark Avery has been kind enough to offer to mail in table requests together again, to try and get us all together.

You can PM Mark if you are interested to get his address Etc.

It was a ton of fun this year, and looking forward to 2008.

Thanks

James

The hotel already let me rebook the room. Same rate, same place. -- now we can only get Mosher and Avery to stay in the same hotel! Next year we have to order cheese pizza for Peter. It will probably amaze the attendance but when we left this year we had only one extra beer. How is that for planning?

Joe,
I did not think there is such a thing as an extra beer. It is kind of like flying, there is only one time that you can have too much gas in the tank, and that is when you are on the ground and on fire, so too much beer is when the cop pulls you over, and then it only applies if it is an open cantainer.
Gus

Hello Boyzzzzzzzz

As of, to date... I have the reservations for..........

Jimmy........ Gussy.... and Joey........

It will still be a while before I send them out.. so any of you procrastinators still have some time.....

Perhaps Mosher and I will......... be tempted to join you guys at the roach motel this year.... ya'know... since it is WALKING DISTANCE to the show... :eek:

Cheers
Mark

I thought the main reason we moved to the roach hotel was to get away from Mark and Dave, now that they know where we are staying, do we need to find a new place to stay?
Gus

be tempted to join you guys at the roach motel this year.... ya'know... since it is WALKING DISTANCE to the show...

Please join us at the roach Motel! We have things there that nobody else offers:
1. The girls
2. Lots of beer that is basically free thanks to Paul
3. Free breakfast
4. James and his walking tours of greater Louisville

Hey Joe,
Maggie took exception to you offering the "girls", of course, I understood that you were just mentioning that the men who stayed at the rooch motel were the only ones good looking enough to attract girls. The point is, Mark, if you room at the rooch motel, you do not need to room with Dave, that ought to be a big selling point.
Gus

Could somebody please tell me (new member) about the show and how I get to join in. I can drink heaps too. :D

joerookery said:
The hotel already let me rebook the room. Same rate, same place. -- now we can only get Mosher and Avery to stay in the same hotel!

May I ask what hotels were used last year/ this year/ advantages / disadvantages/ quality etc etc?

rick12 said:
Could somebody please tell me (new member) about the show and how I get to join in. I can drink heaps too. :D

Well then, you want to make sure you hook up with Canadians. You will find that like us, you will be immune to that girly US beer. :angry7:

I am planning on going next year. I have been wanting to go for a long time. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun. What hotels are the best?

Russ

May I ask what hotels were used last year/ this year/ advantages / disadvantages/ quality etc etc?

We all used the LaQuinta this year. In 2006 we use the Executive Inn which is the host hotel for the convention. The executive was old, smelly, and had a few residents that were insects. It was close to the show and if you need to you could walk. Service for breakfast was mobbed, poor and expensive.

In 2007 we stayed in the LaQuinta Hotel. It was modern, clean and included breakfast. I think the rate was about $90 and then went up a bit for Saturday. There was no problem getting transportation to the show as driving is the preferred way to get there anyway and if you did not have a car you could find a ride at breakfast.

In general the daily rhythm consisted of getting up, going down for coffee and breakfast, then the boys would go off to the show. We were at the show all day till about five o'clock. Gus made lunch for everyone and it was a lot better and more convenient than the food offered in the hall. During the day we would generally decide where we were going to go for dinner and meet at that place at a specific time. Arranging rides was not a problem and reservations were arranged between the convention hall and the girls. After dinner people would regularly go to the Robinson room and drink. We basically have a double sized room with a large sitting area refrigerator etc.

On Thursday night instead of going to dinner we order in pizza -- the great pizza and beer party happens all night and is very well worth attending. We have had no problem with the hotel and noise.

Rick,

Don't worry about being new we all were at some point. There is a trip report for 2007 at:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/books/sos%2007%20trip.html

Optimally you should plan to be there from Wednesday through Sunday. I met people who flew in from South Africa! 1620 tables and a whole bunch of collectors. I think the best vacation of the year!

Well then, you want to make sure you hook up with Canadians. You will find that like us, you will be immune to that girly US beer.

While Tony has a valid point I would point out -- Your Honor -- that Brian and Margo have found American drink acceptable for the short visit. An additional plus is that Paul has agreed to buy this year!

One more thought

The hotel website is

http://www.airportandexposuites.com/

If you are interested you need to make reservations very quickly.

Hey Rick,
If you make it from OZ, we will make sure you have some Wild Turkey, but it is not reall an American drink, it is more of a paint thnner, and like Joe said, all you have to do is show up to be part of the party.

Russ,
Glad you are planning on comming, I could bring you some Idaho Vodka, a few of our members have tried to drink it, but here we use it to clean glass. Anyway, I am sure we can find a beverage that you can consume.

Hey Tony,
It will do not good for Rick to hook up with the Canadians, as they never make it to Kentucky with beer, and that is why they are stuck with drinking our wussy beer. Randy did sneek a few bottles of Czech beer in, and that was very nice.

As far as accomadations go, according to Peter, the Executive West was good, but the Executive Inn (at least last year) had some kind of mold in the building, and it caused respritory problems for more than one of our group. The breakfast at La Qunta is a contenital, but it works, and the breakfast at the other place took longer, and when Joe would get a coffee and toast, it cast him over $10, and that is the differance in price between the hotels.
Best wishes
Gus

Back