SOS 2009 Photos

I will post more photo's later, my goal was to show you what was at the show, good and bad!

As far as peopel go, I will sue the third picture where we are toasting, Left to right:

Joe Robinson, James LeBrasseur, Tony Cowen, Paul LeBrasseur, Randy trawnik, Remy Schaal

James

Liongules said:
Tony & Kaiser said:
My Gawd! This thing just will not go away?? Completely bogus and year after year after it shows up.
thumbsdown.gif

Wow! Even I had enough sense (which sometimes is amazing) to say to myself, "What is that THING!!????" after taking a look at it. For me it was the spike that first made me feel bad. :p

That thing made me laugh out loud!

There's something 'Simpsonesque' about the grimace on that birds face - appropriately too. I reckon Matt Groening had a hand in the design. What an utter, total ball's-up that thing is.

Are you sure it wasn't on that err...... other table?

Tony & Kaiser said:
Thanks Chris. Can someone PLEASE find out who owns this, how much, and take some photos? Inside, side, front, back, etc etc. I would very much appreciate it.

sos_2009.jpg
Tony, the price was $8500 but I could not get anyone to acknowledge me at that table and could not get permission to handle it. I gave up, intending to go back and got trapped at the gun show and didn't get back to it until the place was closed up. These are not the most user friendly salesmen it seems.
Gsu

Price was indeed $8500, I had a chance to handle it the other day, very nice! Super Lightweight!!!

I know there was a gentleman that was really interested, and was negotiating for it, but do not think the deal went through.

James

Speaking of Empire Auctions, the website is now dead.
http://www.empiremilitaryauctions.com/index.asp

Hey James,

Who's stand is that in the pic above the Shako? The table with the dismantled cavalry helmet and the Rgt.109 Officer helm?

Cheers,

Mike.

IMG_0079.jpg

Without question, this was socially the most successful SOS so far. We met and talk to literally hundreds of collectors and the Thursday night party was huge! Some people like John Gaadt showed up too late, and the pizza was gone. My sincere thanks to the brothers Lebrasseur, who sponsored this entire event. Something about Thursday you get tired. We have now moved into the hospitality suite of the hotel, which provides great location and a hell of a lot more seats. Still, people were sitting on the floor. Next year, the hotel promised to set up even more chairs.
Yes, we were able to renegotiate the group rate with no increase in the price. $79 with breakfast included. The group rate is loaded in the system, and you can make a reservation by calling the La Quinta at : Airport & Expo La Quinta Inn & Suites
4125 Preston Hwy at I-264 ,Louisville, KY 40213
Phone: (502) 368-0007 Toll Free: (866) 477-0007
http://www.airportandexposuites.com/
The name of the group is pickelhaubes.com and all you must do is tell them you are with the group to get a reservation under your name at the rate of $79. There is a no-show fee. So if you get a confirmed reservation and you do not cancel It., they will zap you. I recommend you get your reservations in quickly. The hotel was packed with people going to the show. So much so that there was nowhere to sit Friday morning at breakfast. Not only were the pickelhaube guys there, but also the Helmnet guys. Quite a few people who had traveled from Europe stayed at the La Quinta.
I would say traffic was down this year. Some folks estimated the drop in traffic, to be approximately 30%. Nonetheless, every table was filled. Without question there were more helmets for sale this year than any other I have seen. The prices however remained very high in fact stupidly high. If the dealer was not part of the well-known trading group those prices did not come down and nothing got sold. Therefore, several dealers were reporting horrible sales for the show while those dealers who came down in price sold their wares rapidly. I broke tradition and actually bought two helmets!
IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

The key date is Thursday. At about 730 or eight o'clock in the morning the dealers and table helpers lineup to go into the hall. While people are setting up the dealers and table helpers are picking through what is on the table. Many well-known dealers such as Weitze do not even open their tables and spend the entire morning picking over other people's stuff. Many many helmets are kept under the table and traded to friends and other collectors Thursday morning. My first helmet was purchased by 815 the first morning. However to be fair, the deal had been worked out over dinner Wednesday night. My second helmet came from a dealer who had found it in the woodwork and traded it to a friend who sent it over to me and I bought it. There was no limit to the number of people I could ask their opinion of. For this I have many people to thank. You could get all sorts of opinions and knowledge from all sorts of collectors. Thursday afternoon, the crowds were allowed in, and much of what was left was gone by end of day Thursday. Friday was a full day but many many people left on Saturday and I can only imagine that on Sunday it was a ghost town. One big change was the table reservations, could not be made for the following year until Saturday at 1 PM. Gus can tell you how it was on Saturday, but there is also a big national gun show in the same area that day.

I guess what I'm saying to the new guys is that in my opinion the most important way to find quality helmets is by becoming a known entity. Being known online helps a great deal, but there is no substitute for drinking a beer with a collector that you might trade with two years hence. Being on the "inside" is a great method and the fastest way to get there is by attending SOS. I know that is not possible for everyone so participating online is the number two method. I know it costs more to go to the show than anyone would care to spend but there is no replacement for elbow rubbing and being totally accepted. Suddenly helmets become available and prices are much more palatable.
IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

The cloth covered helmet is very interesting. It seems absolutely in one piece un-messed with yet is marked to JR 101 with a Prussian wappen. Randy Trawnik says he has seen several of these always marked to JR 101. I do not have a picture of a Saxon mixed wappen.
IMG_0061.jpg

Gus brought a mannequin of a French soldier fully outfitted. The intent was to bring attention to the table, as well as being able to find the table in this convention hall of 1600. It worked. We could have sold that mannequin 10 times over. Even the great Helmut Weitze tried to buy it from Gus. Next year perhaps he will bring two. The joke of the show was when Helmut Weitze tried to clear a check from Dick Roback by asking James, Gus, Paul and I if he was trustworthy! First of all I do not think that we are the most accomplished credit agency, but if we were comedians, we could have said "Dick is out of prison now and while I do not think he has found work if his parole officer says the check is good that would be good enough for me!" Of course Helmut Weitze approved Dick's check, but that is another example of someone being a known entity online and in person. If it was not on the "inside" who would Helmut Weitze have asked?
James says Paul got the purchase of the show, but I think it was James. The more I look at this salesman sample of cockades the more I realize he got quite a deal. Thanks to Gus for negotiating a much cheaper price, but this card is sweet. A Feldwebel from Baden!
So, I think there are helmets coming out of the woodwork and out of collections, but everyone expects a very high price. Slowly but surely, I think the prices will follow the stock market.

Joe--Thanks for the pictures.
It's a good thing I didn't make it to the show. I would have been
kicked out for drooling all over the the sparkly helmet. :?

I really like the one pictured above with the "$6800" price tag. I didn't
pay that much for my car :eek: The SOS is probably no place for a
little guy like me.

, Greg,

There are plenty of less expensive items also. Most of the really expensive stuff did not move at all. I paid far less than $1000 for a helmet. That is on Helmut Weitze site for about €1700. Bargains can be made. I think the best thing to do is the social deal and share the free lunches! We actually had people asking if they could buy a sandwich. I tried to sell them Gus but there were no takers. :p :p

Christ, Joe - you got a helmet off Weitze for less than half his retail price tag!?

No Mike this voice-activated software leaves me confused sometimes! I found the exact same helmet that Helmut Weitze has for about half the price that he currently has marked on a similar helmet. It was a very unusual find. I did not get it from Helmut Weitze. Actually mine is in much better shape, just missing a key part. Sorry for the confusion. Why don't you ask that French guy with the marking for JR 49 if I can use his mark for the list? My French skills are pretty rotten and if it wasn't for Bruno, I would have no idea what people are telling me. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but there are some very interesting markings coming out of France. 8) 8) :) Bruno translates for me and I find that he comes up with stuff that I have no idea about. Sometimes it's like we are reading entirely different paragraphs. My German is pretty good, but my French is absolutely awful. The French members who struggle to speak English are an inspiration to everyone. I never misunderstand what they are saying, but put it in French... :D :D :D

Ahhhh, got you.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Glad you got a deal though.

I reckon we all have helmets that Helmut Weitze has for about half the price that he currently has marked on similar helmets. Possibly in better nick too.

I'll ask the French seller of JR 49 for you if you like. My French is pretty wobbly but I'll give it a go.

Thanx for all the pics guys! Those of us who were unable to attend really do appreciate it! Although had I have known that there was free pizza and beer, well, I might have tried a little harder! Maybe next year!!
Regards,
Rob.

Hello - I was not fortunate enough to be able to attend the SOS, but would like to thank all who have shared their show experiences and photos!

Speaking of photos (the 13 posted by Minnesota Slim on March 7th to be precise), I was wondering if anyone could identify a Pickelhaube shown in picture 8. It is the one on the extreme left, front row, with the Reichs/Colonial style Wappen and FLUTED spike with round base and officer stars.

Thanks all - Dan

Back